Best surge protector

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
User avatar
threestags
udonmap.com
Posts: 23
Joined: August 26, 2012, 8:57 am
Location: Moo Ban

Re: Best surge protector

Post by threestags » July 22, 2017, 5:24 am

My understanding is a surge protector and UPS are two different devices. The surge protector is designed to prevent electricity spikes or surges i.e. greeter than the normal supply, while the UPS is designed to switch to battery power when the electricity falls below the normal supply such as during brownouts/blackouts.
The UPS is essentially a limited backup should your main power fail allowing you time to switch off connected devices or switching on a main backup supply such as a generator.
Your surge protector should ideally be placed in your power distribution box where the supply enters the home, while the UPS is normally plugged into an outlet providing power to your essential device or computer.
If you are concerned about power dropping it may be best to install an alternate supply such as a suitable generator or solar. Obviously solar is only good during the day whereas a generator could kick in anytime.
My first step would be to try and assess what's going on. Get a sparky or competent person to install a volt meter in your power distribution box and monitor the voltage readings. If the voltage supply is constantly low, the power company should address the issue. If there is no joy there, then you have to look at alternative supply sources.

Cheers



Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 808
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Marcosteffano » July 22, 2017, 6:30 am

You will find that a ups is also a surge protector.https://switchon.eaton.com/plug/article ... suppressor

User avatar
pf-flyer
udonmap.com
Posts: 508
Joined: April 4, 2007, 11:25 pm
Location: Udon Thani - Amphur Nong Han

Re: Best surge protector

Post by pf-flyer » July 22, 2017, 8:06 am

The following is a clip from the APC Web Page. It is a description of their Home Solution of the protection provided by APC UPS's (American Power Conversion Corporation.) I used their UPSs in my server room. The down side is replacing the batteries. Batteries are expensive but not as expensive as replacing the Server.
This is not a sales pitch and just I wanted to point out that a UPS provides surge protection also.
************************************************************************
The Back-UPS Pro family offers guaranteed power protection for high performance computer systems, routers/modems, external storage devices, game consoles and other electronics in your home or business. These UPSs supply electronics with abundant battery backup during outages and stabilize unsafe voltage levels. They also provide power protection from damaging surges and spikes, and allow the use of management software so you get the most out of your UPS. Premium features of this family may include Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), an LCD display, Smart Outlets, energy saving functions that reduce electricity use, network manageability, Watchdog, or configurable outlets. Together with the rest of the Back-UPS Pro's standard features, they are the perfect choice to protect your data and keep your system available.
http://www.apc.com/th/en/solutions/home ... office.jsp
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

milkman
udonmap.com
Posts: 466
Joined: October 11, 2012, 3:03 pm

Re: Best surge protector

Post by milkman » July 23, 2017, 9:47 pm

Thanks to all who gave me advice. What I did was go to Lazada and order the most expensive Belkin they sell. Actually 2, as I had discovered my TV surge protector Bubble was just a cheap plastic extension cord. Cost me all of 910 bahts each, free shipping. My wife, who's more price sensitive, was a bit taken aback, but she recovered when I told her you chaps had said this would safeguard our equipment and make our lives easier. My experience is usually quality is worth paying for and I bet it will be here too. Thanks!

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1512
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Udon Map » July 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
July 22, 2017, 6:30 am
You will find that a ups is also a surge protector.
Exactly. An uninterruptible power supply provides more protection for your equipment because it flattens/evens out the power. Your equipment is drawing its power from the battery in the UPS and not from the line. This also protects against ALL power anomalies, not just surges. Sudden decreases in power can be just as harmful; these are also protected against by a UPS. A traditional surge protector provides protection against only surges which are high enough to trip/invoke its protection.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 808
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Marcosteffano » July 24, 2017, 9:41 am

milkman wrote:
July 23, 2017, 9:47 pm
Thanks to all who gave me advice. What I did was go to Lazada and order the most expensive Belkin they sell. Actually 2, as I had discovered my TV surge protector Bubble was just a cheap plastic extension cord. Cost me all of 910 bahts each, free shipping. My wife, who's more price sensitive, was a bit taken aback, but she recovered when I told her you chaps had said this would safeguard our equipment and make our lives easier. My experience is usually quality is worth paying for and I bet it will be here too. Thanks!
Once again a surge protector no matter how good a quality it is will not protect your electrics from a drop in power.as your computer signalled low power.you will still get it displaying that with the belkin.you need a ups which acts as a high-low protection unit and battery back up for when there's no power.i think you are just cutting corners with surge protectors and wasting your money.if you go to the big electrical shops,landmark,power buy.they all sell them.why ? Because the power out here isn't the same.in the uk nobody really uses them as there is a constant supply.

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1512
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Udon Map » July 24, 2017, 9:52 am

For UPS devices, this brand new, just released product appears to be excellent. https://www.facebook.com/ecoflowtech/.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2946
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Barney » July 24, 2017, 1:23 pm

A UPS will only protect what is plugged into it, hence most people put one in their office or other area in the house and plugged into a wall outlet to protect delicate gear with a filtered clean supply while also adding a back up for when power drops out. The size of the unit depends on your load, so if you want to plug in many items you need a bigger unit with battery capacity. There are of course large capacity units available that can be wired into your house switchboard. Talking big money now.

Now, Surge protector's are a different piece of kit and very good for other areas of the house remote from the UPS to protect items that don't necessarily need a battery backup supply, but have electronics that will be destroyed by voltage surge such as during lightening strikes, being TV's, music units etc and only need the power surge protection units.

You should not plug your office UPS into a Surge protector unit. It may cause your UPS to go to battery often shortening the life of the battery.

If you are also truly wanting to power the whole or essential items in house when power drops, then get a generator with an Auto change switch. The UPS and surge protectors stay in place.

Buy quality.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 808
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Marcosteffano » July 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Barney wrote:
July 24, 2017, 1:23 pm
A UPS will only protect what is plugged into it, hence most people put one in their office or other area in the house and plugged into a wall outlet to protect delicate gear with a filtered clean supply while also adding a back up for when power drops out. The size of the unit depends on your load, so if you want to plug in many items you need a bigger unit with battery capacity. There are of course large capacity units available that can be wired into your house switchboard. Talking big money now.

Now, Surge protector's are a different piece of kit and very good for other areas of the house remote from the UPS to protect items that don't necessarily need a battery backup supply, but have electronics that will be destroyed by voltage surge such as during lightening strikes, being TV's, music units etc and only need the power surge protection units.

You should not plug your office UPS into a Surge protector unit. It may cause your UPS to go to battery often shortening the life of the battery.

If you are also truly wanting to power the whole or essential items in house when power drops, then get a generator with an Auto change switch. The UPS and surge protectors stay in place.

Buy quality.
Sorry to say this once again a ups is a surge protector.tvs do need to be plugged into a ups as the brown outs,will destroy the power supply board,remote sensor,even the hdmi connection.even fans can be affected and end up running with only one speed.buying a good quality surge protector isn't the answer.the original post said his computer was saying low power,not high power.anyhow he's now bought surge protectors so hasn't really listened to anyone's advice so I'm not wasting anymore time on this subject.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2946
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Barney » July 24, 2017, 8:12 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
July 24, 2017, 2:27 pm
Barney wrote:
July 24, 2017, 1:23 pm
A UPS will only protect what is plugged into it, hence most people put one in their office or other area in the house and plugged into a wall outlet to protect delicate gear with a filtered clean supply while also adding a back up for when power drops out. The size of the unit depends on your load, so if you want to plug in many items you need a bigger unit with battery capacity. There are of course large capacity units available that can be wired into your house switchboard. Talking big money now.

Now, Surge protector's are a different piece of kit and very good for other areas of the house remote from the UPS to protect items that don't necessarily need a battery backup supply, but have electronics that will be destroyed by voltage surge such as during lightening strikes, being TV's, music units etc and only need the power surge protection units.

You should not plug your office UPS into a Surge protector unit. It may cause your UPS to go to battery often shortening the life of the battery.

If you are also truly wanting to power the whole or essential items in house when power drops, then get a generator with an Auto change switch. The UPS and surge protectors stay in place.

Buy quality.
Sorry to say this once again a ups is a surge protector.tvs do need to be plugged into a ups as the brown outs,will destroy the power supply board,remote sensor,even the hdmi connection.even fans can be affected and end up running with only one speed.buying a good quality surge protector isn't the answer.the original post said his computer was saying low power,not high power.anyhow he's now bought surge protectors so hasn't really listened to anyone's advice so I'm not wasting anymore time on this subject.
Marco
Have you studied this or just googling?

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 808
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Best surge protector

Post by Marcosteffano » July 24, 2017, 10:31 pm

Barney wrote:
July 24, 2017, 8:12 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
July 24, 2017, 2:27 pm
Barney wrote:
July 24, 2017, 1:23 pm
A UPS will only protect what is plugged into it, hence most people put one in their office or other area in the house and plugged into a wall outlet to protect delicate gear with a filtered clean supply while also adding a back up for when power drops out. The size of the unit depends on your load, so if you want to plug in many items you need a bigger unit with battery capacity. There are of course large capacity units available that can be wired into your house switchboard. Talking big money now.

Now, Surge protector's are a different piece of kit and very good for other areas of the house remote from the UPS to protect items that don't necessarily need a battery backup supply, but have electronics that will be destroyed by voltage surge such as during lightening strikes, being TV's, music units etc and only need the power surge protection units.

You should not plug your office UPS into a Surge protector unit. It may cause your UPS to go to battery often shortening the life of the battery.

If you are also truly wanting to power the whole or essential items in house when power drops, then get a generator with an Auto change switch. The UPS and surge protectors stay in place.

Buy quality.
Sorry to say this once again a ups is a surge protector.tvs do need to be plugged into a ups as the brown outs,will destroy the power supply board,remote sensor,even the hdmi connection.even fans can be affected and end up running with only one speed.buying a good quality surge protector isn't the answer.the original post said his computer was saying low power,not high power.anyhow he's now bought surge protectors so hasn't really listened to anyone's advice so I'm not wasting anymore time on this subject.
Marco
Have you studied this or just googling?
No I've had many problems with fluctuating power.2 tvs,very expensive computer,fans.when you have brown outs low power units tend to blow first.5 watt remote sensors,hdmi leads and power supply boards.its from experience I write this.i googled and pasted before to prove my point.if you look at most ups they even have a input socket for Ethernet as this can be a problem too.ive got uk surge protector on a tv.didnt save it from a brown out.needs new remote sensor.last time it was the power board.i live in a village and the local sparky came and fixed the power board in no time...why ? Because he probably does it every day of the week.oh and now I have 3 ups and need to more before I plug in anymore new TVs.from what I've read milkman trying to buy a quality screwdriver when he really needs a chisel.i am only advising through my own personal experience.im not the sort of person to just google to prove people wrong,thanks.hes obvious not listened and if I suspect he's having brown outs or power drops.not power spikes where you would need a surge protector.i think the names of these items say what they are.uninterupted power supply.in other words it keeps a constant power level.surge protector.protects against power surges or spikes in power.oh and I think brown outs hit the units furthest from the main fuse box first but again that's what I've experienced.anyway I've spent enough time on this post and have got more better things to do.im not having a poke at you but some people have to learn the hard way.sorry expensive way.

Post Reply

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”