Border wall costs ??

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
rallyman
udonmap.com

Border wall costs ??

Post by rallyman » February 15, 2010, 7:28 pm

Hi Guys, can anyone give me a ballpark figure for having a perimiter wall built around a building plot of land which has just been filled up, say approx price per metre say, 2 walls very basic and 2 walls a bit nicer looking, nothing overly fanciful but just add a bit of character to the place. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks again... ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Border wall costs ??

Post by BobHelm » February 16, 2010, 8:59 am

This thread might be some help to you rallyman, if no-one can supply more up to date data.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/b ... 15072.html

rallyman
udonmap.com

Post by rallyman » February 16, 2010, 2:34 pm

Thanks for that Bob, the link was very useful, much appreciated, thanks again.. =D>

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 16, 2010, 3:45 pm

I've been quoted 1.3K per linear metre. Some of the more popular builders will quote you A LOT more. Don't forget that if building a wall around infill land the wall will have to be built to "retaining wall" specs and will cost more. If you try to build around in fill land just using cinder blocks, expect problems.
Loads of building info on this site. http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/

rallyman
udonmap.com

Post by rallyman » February 16, 2010, 4:56 pm

Thanks Galee, very useful

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » February 17, 2010, 2:22 am

With the title of the thread, my 1st thought was, you were asking about the wall between the US and Mexico. Price of that's a bottomless pit.....

You can take a look at ours. We started it about 3 years ago as a retaining wall when we were having our rai filled, with the fence on top. Overall height is about 12 feet. The way they build retaining walls is a bit odd but, I guess it works. Ours hasn't started tipping, yet. With all the rain we have had, I guess that is a good test. Total length is about 153 meters and cost was about 400k.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/h ... 3-135.html

Down close to the bottom of this page has some photos of the wall/fence. The beginning of the thread has a location map if you want to take a look. Don't look at the house. That's a whole nother issue and different contractor.

rallyman
udonmap.com

Post by rallyman » February 20, 2010, 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info Farang, that was really useful and I appreciate the photos as it gives a good perspective of what I have in mind... and I enjoyed the initial jibe too haha, nice one =D> =D>

KunKen
udonmap.com

Post by KunKen » May 8, 2010, 5:19 am

I just finished my wall around my property,and it's 240 meters long.One part 150 meter,are 3,5 meter high.The second part are90 meter long and 2,5 meters high.I paid pr.meter ,2,5 meter high ,250Bath.And 3,5 meter high, 350Bath.
Total cost are 300 thousand Bath.I also made a parking lot , 185 sq.meter ,work 50 bath a sq,meter.Total 25000 Bath.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 8, 2010, 9:50 am

chose to not put a full wall around our 3 Rai plus plot.. Instead we put in concrete pillars and purchased chain link fencing (1.5 meter high).. Total length of chain link fencing was about 230 meters and cost as I recall around 30,000 baht including pillars and labor. We had to shop around at several stores and found a Mom and Pops store had the best price and free delivery (Global House wanted to make us pay a delivery fee and charged more for the fencing) At 1.5 meters in height it's adequate to keep most riff-raff out (it also has several strings of barbed wire along the top) At the front of our property we put in the nice wall which was considerably more expensive. having the chain link means we still have good views and the breeze isn't obstructed as it would be with say a 2 meter plus wall... Another perceived advantage (some might say disadvantage) is that our neighbors passing by get an unobstructed view of the land/houses (we're not there all the time) and would notice anyone trying to break in..

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » May 9, 2010, 11:48 pm

I'm in the process of making a decision of a perimiter wall to be built around our property in udon or a chain link fence with concrete pillars which i prefare the latter,not only the cost involved would be cheaper but the threat of someone breaking in would be reduced because of the unobstructed view.
My wife has a diffrent view.She wants a solid wall around the house.But the thought of waking up and opening the curtains to a solid wall doesn't appeal to me,and yes it is a bungalow not a house with a first floor

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » May 10, 2010, 2:22 am

My original "plan" was to have the top of the retaining wall at grade level (20cm above the road) and then the first 6 meters of the side fence would be solid wall. I wanted to have steel fence posts set in the concrete along the top of the retaining wall and have chain link run along the sides and across the back. For some privacy, I was going to put vinyl slats in the chain link. Something got lost in translation and we ended up doing it Thai style. 8-[

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 10, 2010, 3:21 am

I'd like a couple of DALEKS to patrol the perimeter wall of my gaff that exterminates the family freeloaders.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » November 25, 2010, 8:07 am

FrazeeDK wrote:chose to not put a full wall around our 3 Rai plus plot.. Instead we put in concrete pillars and purchased chain link fencing (1.5 meter high).. Total length of chain link fencing was about 230 meters and cost as I recall around 30,000 baht including pillars and labor. We had to shop around at several stores and found a Mom and Pops store had the best price and free delivery (Global House wanted to make us pay a delivery fee and charged more for the fencing) At 1.5 meters in height it's adequate to keep most riff-raff out (it also has several strings of barbed wire along the top) At the front of our property we put in the nice wall which was considerably more expensive. having the chain link means we still have good views and the breeze isn't obstructed as it would be with say a 2 meter plus wall... Another perceived advantage (some might say disadvantage) is that our neighbors passing by get an unobstructed view of the land/houses (we're not there all the time) and would notice anyone trying to break in..
FrazeeDK can you give me the location of the Mom and Pop store where you purchased your chain link fence material? I live in Sakon Nakhon and I cannot find anyone here who has a clue what chain link fence material is. I need about 60 meters. Hope you can help.

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » November 27, 2010, 7:29 pm

Whilst I realise that this thread is about the cost of a cement border wall, some readers may consider an alternative. We have planted a hawthorn (or very similar to UK Hawthorn) hedge, which with its long thorns keeps out animals and any other intruders. It can be cut back to any desired hight. I mention this now as it is the appropriate time of year to plant. Simply take cuttings about ten inches long and and stick them in the soil four inches deep in two rows at one foot intervals. By this time next year you will have a four foot hedge.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 28, 2010, 1:58 pm

Good Idea TH :D =D>

Clonetom

Post by Clonetom » December 12, 2016, 12:56 pm

Hello @ Treehugger,

I'm looking for Hawthorn hedges here in Chiang Mai, but nobody seems to recognize the plant on any pictures - although I've read that they are native to Thailand, Vietnam and Southern China.

Do you by any chance know the Thai name of the plant? I can't find it anywhere on the net, incl Google translator...

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » December 12, 2016, 9:30 pm

Thai transliteration: สมุนไพรฮอว์ธอร์น (Hawthorn หรือ Crataegus monogyna). It doesn't seem to have originated in South East Asia but in West Asia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus_monogyna), so little wonder that people here are not acquainted with it.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Clonetom

Post by Clonetom » December 12, 2016, 9:53 pm

@Balthasar

Thanks for the transliteration. We'll try to work with that

Return to “House & Land”