buy at the shop or online ?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
kopkei
udonmap.com

buy at the shop or online ?

Post by kopkei » October 20, 2017, 10:06 am

when i need to buy something i try to find out on the net what the normal price of the item should be so they do not overcharge me at the shop ...so lately i am buying a lot with lazada , good prices , and no hassle bargaining prices and loosing time with idiots (many times) in shops + excellent delivery at my doorstep ...
was in landmark yesterday and needed a replacement screen for our granddaughters phone , and it was terrible , prices starting at 1.200 baht going to 2.500 baht for a screen of a phone you can buy new at 3.200 baht now (samsung J2)..
i looked at the net and can order one for 690 baht ...no wonder many of the telephone shops were empty ..
who wants to buy with them and their ridiculous prices ...went to central and big c with the same result ,frustrating..
so i will order online again and change it myself .. as i am doing with so many things now, avoiding all this fuss ... ;)

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: buy at the shop or online ?

Post by Marcosteffano » October 20, 2017, 5:45 pm

Found the same problem with iPhone 5 screen.quoted a silly 1,500baht.looked at lazada 650b then watch you tube how to install.even better was eBay was 520b...Thais are the worst people to deal with and I have a personal policy of not buying from shops that don't display their prices.so far everything I've purchased off lazada had been delivered on time and of passable quality.so it's goodbye rip off shops and hello lazada.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 20, 2017, 6:29 pm

kopkei wrote:
October 20, 2017, 10:06 am
when i need to buy something i try to find out on the net what the normal price of the item should be so they do not overcharge me at the shop ...so lately i am buying a lot with lazada , good prices , and no hassle bargaining prices and loosing time with idiots (many times) in shops + excellent delivery at my doorstep ...
was in landmark yesterday and needed a replacement screen for our granddaughters phone , and it was terrible , prices starting at 1.200 baht going to 2.500 baht for a screen of a phone you can buy new at 3.200 baht now (samsung J2)..
i looked at the net and can order one for 690 baht ...no wonder many of the telephone shops were empty ..
who wants to buy with them and their ridiculous prices ...went to central and big c with the same result ,frustrating..
so i will order online again and change it myself .. as i am doing with so many things now, avoiding all this fuss ... ;)
At least they not say to you "no hab".

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 20, 2017, 6:57 pm

They don't want to fix an old phone for an old cheap charley falang. They want to sell you a new one!

Did you check the price for a screen at the iphone or Samsung shops first before posting and complaining about the poor old local guys price in a booth at landmark.

Thais are the worst people to deal with and I have a personal policy of not buying from shops that don't display their prices.

C'mon marco, really, "the worst people", what sort of a statement is that, if you did actually go into the landmark phone section then you would have seen nothing but prices on the phones in the cabinets

iphone 5 is 2015 vintage, no idea of a Samsung J2, but probably the same vintage. At 3200 new you should trade yours in and buy new.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » October 20, 2017, 7:50 pm

Barney wrote:
October 20, 2017, 6:57 pm
They don't want to fix an old phone for an old cheap charley falang. They want to sell you a new one!

Did you check the price for a screen at the iphone or Samsung shops first before posting and complaining about the poor old local guys price in a booth at landmark.

Thais are the worst people to deal with and I have a personal policy of not buying from shops that don't display their prices.

C'mon marco, really, "the worst people", what sort of a statement is that, if you did actually go into the landmark phone section then you would have seen nothing but prices on the phones in the cabinets

iphone 5 is 2015 vintage, no idea of a Samsung J2, but probably the same vintage. At 3200 new you should trade yours in and buy new.
. Nothing about being a cheap Charlie,it's more about being sensible.i could but a new phone but can't see the point in throwing money away.my iPhone 5 does the job and so does my iPhone 4 which I'm using at the moment.as for pricing,when you take a phone in for a new screen you hand them the phone and ask how much to fix and they pop up a price out of their head how much they can sting the farang for.theres no price list for repairs.also im quoting about all shops that don't have prices displayed.when there's no price it means they don't want my business or it isn't for sale.just purchased electric gate motor of lazada 15,000b was quoted 22,000b in city and have to order from bkk but more than likely off lazada.then a pool pump was told 22,500 but special deal 16,500baht but I know they are 11,500baht.lazada is the best thing to happen here in Thailand.the same goes for eBay where I had over 500 deals and saved god knows how many £1,000s.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 20, 2017, 8:03 pm

Bought a few things off lazada the last month,pleased with price and service,however still pays to have idea on price before ordering,some silly prices quoted

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 21, 2017, 12:22 am

There are some crazy prices , item I was going to buy here in the UK, averages 139 quid ( 6000b), looked to see if lazada had , and yes they have it ,exactly the same model starting at 26,000b and up to 49,000b :shock:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 21, 2017, 7:14 am

nothing to do with old cheap charley (barney how old are you?) , but being price conscious...
16 years ago when i moved here so many ignorant falang getting overpriced in most off the things they bought , due to comparing prices with their home country , even for me no exception, it was a learning fase ,(still is)
now these days falang are more aware but you still have them whom are not aware at all still making the same mistakes as long ago ,over paying everything (surely in house builds and related)...not really learning anything ..
bottom point is ...as long as you are happy and more important stay happy... ;)

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 21, 2017, 7:43 am

Spot on kopkei,big mistake comparing the first price you get quoted here to what it is in your home country,obviously some prices you get quoted here are the ''FARANG'' price,walk to the next shop and you could get the correct price or at least a better price,ive lost count of how many times ive spat my beer our listening to a farang telling me how much hes paid for a certain thing and how much that would be in his country

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » October 21, 2017, 8:44 am

Barney wrote:

. So the 25,000b iPhone @2 1/2 years old should be swapped in and I'll get 1,000b for it as it's screen is broken,then go and pay them over the top for a new iPhone that will be vintage in a few months and does exactly what my iPhone 5 does.great advice that mate.obviously you've got more money than brain cells or you've been on the juice.regards old cheap Charlie farang.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 21, 2017, 10:44 am

Try looking at things a different way rather than criticising the Thai retailers.

We, just like the guys in Landmark or elsewhere in Udon, sell 99% of our stock to Thais so the way we market our products is aimed at that sector.

Bear in mind that many of the older generation Thai customers either do not have computers or are relatively naïve in their use so they are unable to compare prices online. The only way to do this is therefore the old fashioned way of going from shop to shop. This is particularly so with tecchie items such as phones where they have little prior experience

If they see a price on display, they will take that as read, mentally store it and move on to the next shop. If there is no price displayed, they will ask. This gives the retailer an edge as he is able to find out the best price the potential customer presently has and will then endeavour to match or beat it.

Assuming I am correct, this would mean you are likely to get a better bargain from the shops with no prices shown.

Just giving you food for thought. This may not be always the case so, don't shoot the messenger!!

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » October 21, 2017, 12:05 pm

panmotor wrote:
October 21, 2017, 10:44 am
Try looking at things a different way rather than criticising the Thai retailers.

We, just like the guys in Landmark or elsewhere in Udon, sell 99% of our stock to Thais so the way we market our products is aimed at that sector.

Bear in mind that many of the older generation Thai customers either do not have computers or are relatively naïve in their use so they are unable to compare prices online. The only way to do this is therefore the old fashioned way of going from shop to shop. This is particularly so with tecchie items such as phones where they have little prior experience

If they see a price on display, they will take that as read, mentally store it and move on to the next shop. If there is no price displayed, they will ask. This gives the retailer an edge as he is able to find out the best price the potential customer presently has and will then endeavour to match or beat it.

Assuming I am correct, this would mean you are likely to get a better bargain from the shops with no prices shown.

Just giving you food for thought. This may not be always the case so, don't shoot the messenger!!
No pricing goes down the same road as not turning the meter on when you get in the taxi...as for price matching or beating I think we may be in the wrong country for 99% of any chance of that.ive purchased around 600sqm of tiles from dynasty and I get a whopping 3% discount and a free water.the same discount as if I only wanted 10 metres.when it comes to trading Thais as usual are left behind and I think that shows in how many shops,companies,gold shops,land is owned by Chinese of origin.in nong wua so most if not all the high st is owned by by Chinese including the 2 gold shops.amother way to look at it is why don't you take all the prices off your bikes and let us know if it was a good idea or not.oh and I purchased 2 grand filano scooters the other month for cash,discount 100b gas,small nylon jacket that won't fit my daughter and the bottle of water.while I'm on the subject of discounts and trading the best one to date is villa market.spend 25,000b and get 100b discount credited to my loyalty card.didnt know wether to take it as a joke or insult but won't be shopping there anymore.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 21, 2017, 1:37 pm

well about motorbikes or cars...we all ready changed many times of motorbike and car ...
first thing i do is try to find the official sales price , difficult surely if it is about a new model ...
mostly theshops all ready top up the original price by a few thousand baht and than they have the tendency when they do not have the item in stock, or even when they have, to charge you 3.000 baht supposedly transport cost from bangkok...., i have had this with mb and cars , i kindly passed and moved on to another shop as panmotor suggest...whom strangely did not have this extra cost ...i also will update in the other topic about price changing plates or cost new plate ...now at landmark at one shop the lady did go ask the price for the screen at the repair guy whom was sitting with his back to me ...the question was how much to change the screen /falang was the last word :-k , btw price was 2.200 baht , and indeed at the samsung shop they also told it was to expensive , better buy new one , so samsung was no exception , but i do understand genuine products are more expensive...it is up to the buyer to decide what he really wants , so in my case i do not care about genuine... ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 22, 2017, 2:44 pm

Talking about replacement screens for smartphones, there's a whole lot of sub-standard, factory reject, Chinese dross on eBay, amazon and lazada. This was stuff made for Samsung, Apple, Oppo and the rest that failed final quality control tests and the Chinese manufacturers dump it on the market. A lot of it ends up in the fake name-brand phones that are common in the markets in Vientiane and the rest gets bought in bulk by anonymous. fly-by-night, Hong Kong based traders to flog online.

Caveat emptor.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 22, 2017, 4:52 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
October 21, 2017, 8:44 am
Barney wrote:

. So the 25,000b iPhone @2 1/2 years old should be swapped in and I'll get 1,000b for it as it's screen is broken,then go and pay them over the top for a new iPhone that will be vintage in a few months and does exactly what my iPhone 5 does.great advice that mate.obviously you've got more money than brain cells or you've been on the juice.regards old cheap Charlie farang.

Well the tongue in cheek "Old Cheap Charlie" comment seems to have touched an exposed nerve with some.

Marcco, No where did I give you any advice, whether on the juice or not on the juice, for you to trade in your vintage iphones and go pay 25,000 or more for a new one. You did what was best for your budget and went the lazada trail, well done and good for you. No disagreement there. Good to see that your brain cells are in greater number then your wallet.
I'll work on my purchasing skills as I grow older and mature into my Old Cheap Charlie mode. :D
I am old I suppose and have been working and living in SE Asia since 2000, but whose counting years like others. I have learnt a lot and try not to worry about the cost of living here or anywhere else. I'm just a frugal as the next bloke, and will always look for a bargain. Actually found many while building my house.
But if you actually did read what I wrote you will clearly see I was talking about trading in the much cheaper 3200 bht Samsung J2. IMO why spend any money repairing a J2 if it is only 3200 for a new J2 phone. Trade the old one in, we have done that. But each to their own.
Appears no one went to the apple store or Samsung to get their price for an authentic replacement screen. Which would be the starting price when comparing apples for apples. But I'm sure lazada provide the real authentic product, so perhaps no need to bother elsewhere. Others, as stated, don't care about genuine items and just filter to the cheapest.
You did not answer the Thais "are the worst people" comment with any explanation. I think that is unfair on the majority of them. No need to answer that just rhetorical.

Be happy we are not here for to long in the grand scheme of things.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » October 22, 2017, 7:33 pm

[/quote]
oh and I purchased 2 grand filano scooters the other month for cash,discount 100b gas,small nylon jacket that won't fit my daughter and the bottle of water
[/quote]

You could have come to Pan of course - we would have thrown a helmet in as well

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

small update about the j2 screen...
DSC00821 (Copy).JPG
like new , 695 baht (lazada)....fixed it myself but do not try if you know you have 2 left hands... :D
no need to buy new one , one of my pienongs is going to be happy again as i bought already new one for our granddaughter ... ;)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”