CALLING CARDS

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
igtm
udonmap.com

CALLING CARDS

Post by igtm » November 9, 2005, 2:23 pm

Since it costs me 25 Bahts a minute through Thai phone company to call my home town and I don't want to go bankrupt with phone bills :fryingpan: , I've been searching for calling cards everywhere in Udon. I was told to look in 7 eleven but no cards. Has anyone seen any? I am leaving for Bangkok soon so if you've seen it there or in Udon, please let me know. I've used calling cards with a lot of success in US and Europe. I hope they have those here too.

Thanks.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » November 9, 2005, 3:42 pm

To start with I know nothing, thats nothing about cell phones in thailand :!: When I came here I was trying to get away from them and the people that let them rule there lives! :lol:

That said, I call the states from my landline and its 6 baht per min. You dial 008 then the number in the states. Now from a cell phone, I know you can get the same rate, but what you dial is beyond me. Although I used one in Bangkok, about a month ago, can't remember if I tried the 008 or 009. Talked to broker for about 10 mins, on hold for 5, and TW said it costed nit-noy baht! If you are paying 25 baht, you need to get a new plan. :wink:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 9, 2005, 4:24 pm

There was a posting a few months ago with some information someone had copied from a pattaya source. It gave all the dialing code prefixes you need for cheap calls on fixed and mobile phones.

Sorry but you are gonna have to do the search of the forum - not me.
I printed it off at the time - but thats no consolation to you - happy searching

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » November 9, 2005, 6:35 pm

Strangely enough I was looking for that old thread myself just before I read IGTM's post.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... .php?t=142

Cheers

Brian

igtm
udonmap.com

Thank you all but...

Post by igtm » November 10, 2005, 7:28 am

Thank you all but my hometown is not US, it's Eastern Europe. I know about 008 and 007 and I have a very nice cell phone plan but it still costs 25 bahts per minute. What I was asking was calling cards - a card you buy in a store, dial (usually) toll free or local number, then pin code then your number. The cards cost $5, $10 or $20 and it gives you a lot of minutes. In Germany for instance 5 euro card gave you 400 minutes in US and 200 minutes in Eastern Europe. There are similar cards in UK and US. Those are MUCH cheaper than any cell phone card minutes or land line phone company rates.
Maybe they don't have those in Thailand???

wansman
udonmap.com

Post by wansman » November 10, 2005, 11:31 am

google "phone calling cards". I have one that I use called NOBEL THAI. It is mostly for calling to Thailand but I have used it in Thailand, Japan, Korea etc and the dialing options will let you call ANY country. There are different plans. Some charge a monthly maintenance fee with reduced costs for the calls. I have a no maintenance fee and calls to thailand only cost USD .04 a minute. I currently only use it occasionally as we are documenting phone calls for Wheans visa so I want to get a itemized bill. Now my calls are costing me about 8000 baht/month with a USD .27/minute direct dial rate with AT&T. Anyway, google cards and you can find some that you do not have to get your hands on the card itself. Just write down the access number and pin that they give you. After that you can recharge the card either over the phone or over the internet.
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 10, 2005, 11:57 am

I can't remember what is was exactly, but some years ago I used to buy a card from I think it was a CAT office, which had a prepaid limit, and by dialling in a long code before the actual number, it allowed me to dial International calls from my Thai "pay as you go" GSM mobile phone, at a time when I couldn't otherwise make International calls from it.. It may have been called a "Thai card" or similar, I really don't remember.

You could try asking at CAT or post office or places like that. I dont know if that is of any help.

wansman
udonmap.com

Post by wansman » November 11, 2005, 1:38 am

I got a bit of a chuckle out of this. I went to the bottom of this page and what should be there but 4 advertisements for calling cards. Just what you were looking for.
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 11, 2005, 2:58 am

Just go to any phone box in any main city in Britain.

There's loads of calling cards in them. :lol:

Gary

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 11, 2005, 12:14 pm

I got a bit of a chuckle out of this. I went to the bottom of this page and what should be there but 4 advertisements for calling cards

It's the Thought Police from Google :yikes: - they scan all messages and post adverts which seem to match the words from the messages - the theory is that you could be interested in buying and will be more likely to click on the ad.

It can be quite amusing at times seeing what kind of ads come up on different threads.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”