'certificate of non impediment ??

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
Post Reply
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 16, 2012, 2:39 am

'certificate of non impediment ??

Post by glyngsd » January 16, 2012, 2:49 am

Am coming over to marry my Thai girlfriend of 3+ years in March. To save time and visiting the British embassy in Bangkok I asked here in Derby if I could get the required paperwork here, but all they can give me is a 'certificate of non impediment'. Does anyone know if this is what I need, or would it be a waste ofmoney and I will still need an Affa davit from the embassy there ? Thanks in advance :-)

User avatar
Posts: 18404
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

'certificate of non impediment ??

Post by BobHelm » January 16, 2012, 7:41 am

The British Embassy in Thailand call the document
affirmations of freedom to marry
I guess it depends if the 'non impediment' proves that you have no impediment to marriage.

Gaining such a certificate in the UK won't save you a huge amount of time as you will still have to get it translated into Thai & authorised by the Ministry in Bangkok as being what it says it is.
The problem could be that if the original is not exactly what they normally expect to see then it could cause you issues.

Personally, as little as I like them, I would just use the Embassy in Bangkok & accept that you will have to spend a couple of days there on arrival getting it sorted...

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
Posts: 5320
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

'certificate of non impediment ??

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 16, 2012, 8:22 am

This is much the same as takes place here in the cold white north (-22 with the wind chill today, but little snow). First the marriage certificate in English has to be translated into Thai, which in Toronto costs close to $400. The translation is certified by the company. Second, it must be taken to a government office to be authenticated, which is another $16. Third, it must be sent to the Thai Embassy in Ottawa to be stamped as A-okay by an official. The Thai Embassy then sends it in the registered envelope that you have provided back to you. Fourth, you can send it in the mail to your wife in Thailand for the amphoe head to accept your marriage as legitimate, and then she can change her surname to yours, get a new i.d. card, a driver's license, get a passport in your surname, and so on. Or, you can bring it with you when you come to Thailand. As Canada usually follows the mother country, Great Britain, in these bureaucratic matters, the process is probably very similar.
Last edited by Laan Yaa Mo on January 16, 2012, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 3303
Joined: July 12, 2005, 5:16 pm
Location: Was Eastbourne, East Sussex. Now Udon.

'certificate of non impediment ??

Post by Galee » January 16, 2012, 2:52 pm

Make sure your name on your letter of affirmation is exactly the same as your passport. On mine I abbreviated my middle name to an initial and the embassy wouldn't accept it.

User avatar
Posts: 5758
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

'certificate of non impediment ??

Post by Aardvark » January 16, 2012, 4:19 pm

Welcome to the Forum glyngsd, When you find the Answeres to your Question would you please post them here ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Relationships”