Couple of days in Laos

Information & Travel
kakariki
udonmap.com

Couple of days in Laos

Post by kakariki » January 3, 2008, 11:07 am

Hi
Just wondering which is the best way to do a 2 day trip to Ventienne from Udon.
Do I book in Udon and leave from there in a mini tour bus, or am I better to do it all Nong Khai, or I see others talk about a tuk-tuk from Nong Khai.
Just want to go and have a look around.
Thanks Barry

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » January 3, 2008, 11:58 am

If I were to do that, I would take the bus to Nong Khai, take a tuk-tuk to the bridge, then a tuk-tuk to to a hotel I picked out of a guide book. That is pretty close to what I did when I went to Ventienne from another town a few years ago. If you really want or have to go to Ventienne, that is. :lol:

MikeF

Post by MikeF » June 17, 2008, 8:27 am

You could also take the Thai-Lao International bus that leaves from central Udon 3-4 times daily in each direction.
Drop off point is the bus station behind the Morning Market in Vientiane ( also known as Talat Sao)
Cost is approx 100 baht, tickets not purchasable except on the day of travel.
Transit time Udon -Vientiane, including border formalities, about 2 hrs.
Reasonably comfortable for a short trip.
Baggage stays on the bus at the border, you get off and get your passport stamped.
You must have a Lao visa previously obtained though, bus will not wait for you

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 17, 2008, 8:47 am

MikeF wrote:You could also take the Thai-Lao International bus that leaves from central Udon 3-4 times daily in each direction.
Drop off point is the bus station behind the Morning Market in Vientiane ( also known as Talat Sao)
Cost is approx 100 baht, tickets not purchasable except on the day of travel.
Transit time Udon -Vientiane, including border formalities, about 2 hrs.
Reasonably comfortable for a short trip.
Baggage stays on the bus at the border, you get off and get your passport stamped.
You must have a Lao visa previously obtained though, bus will not wait for you
Very important,they will not wait!!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 17, 2008, 8:52 am

rickfarang wrote:If I were to do that, I would take the bus to Nong Khai, take a tuk-tuk to the bridge, then a tuk-tuk to to a hotel I picked out of a guide book. That is pretty close to what I did when I went to Ventienne from another town a few years ago. If you really want or have to go to Ventienne, that is. :lol:
:lol: I agree with this ,except the part about a tuk tuk to Vientienne!Not a pleasant ride!

Other options are van which takes some negotiation or a short walk around the bend to the bus stop!Vans go for 300 to 600!

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 17, 2008, 10:32 am

the day market is worth checking out many good deals can be found / and if your in to gold they have many gold shops in the day market / Stan no tuk tuk for me either / that a real back killer

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » July 11, 2008, 1:39 pm

just want to warn people that it is not only in Pattaya that bag snatching is going on.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Police ask for help to reduce bag snatching

Souknilundon Southivongnorath
Vientiane Times
Publication Date : 10-07-2008

Bag snatchings are occurring in the capital in Laos almost everyday and the community must help police address the problem, according to the Vientiane 's Deputy Police Chief.

Lieutenant Colonel Sengphet Phommaly said police were working hard to reduce these types of offences, but they could not do it alone.

''Many people may be thinking we aren't trying to solve the problem of bag snatching, but we are working hard on this issue and need cooperation from district and village security groups and motorists,'' Lieutenant Colonel Sengphet said.

''The effort needs to start with motorists protecting their valuables before going out, then district and village authorities have to increase security in the areas where problems usually occur.''

He said thieves were opportunistic and targeted people with visible valuables on dark and isolated streets.

Police have been cooperating with local security forces to investigate offences and arrest the thieves.

Last week, a police newspaper reported on a bag snatching which occurred in Xaysettha district, Vientiane . It urged police to station more officers in areas where this crime commonly occurs.

Lieutenant Colonel Sengphet said this was already happening in well-known hotspots, but thieves could easily target new areas.

''The best way to move forward now is to increase cooperation between people and security forces to address the problem,'' he said.

Vientiane Police Headquarters advises motorcyclists, especially women, to hang their bags on their right shoulder and wear a jacket to cover it, avoid wearing valuables and be aware of other motorcyclists.

''If you feel like people are following you, just stop at a crowded place and call the police,'' Lieutenant Colonel Sengphet said.

''Otherwise, avoid driving alone or in isolated and dark areas, this is where most offences happen.''

Almost all victims of bag snatchings have an accident, which can lead to serious injury or death.

Women are particularly targeted because they often place bags in the front baskets of motorcycles or bicycles.

''Just hiding a bag from thieves' eyes can prevent you from becoming a victim,'' Lieutenant Colonel Sengphet said.

Return to “Laos”