Ear Cleaning

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Ear Cleaning

Post by Charlieb » February 9, 2018, 11:52 am

As recommended on this forum I went to see Dr. Samet to get my ears cleaned. My ears have been stopped up and the last time I tried to clean them myself I only made it worse.

The visit to Dr. Samet was rather strange :-s I told him I wanted my ears cleaned. He said I am a doctor and I don't do that. He then said he would inspect them and if needed may do it.

He examined my ears then said he would clean them. But first I must apply his supplied ear drops, 8 drops, 4 times daily, for 4 days and come back. Since the drops would inhibit my hearing I could only do one side at a time. After he cleaned one side we would do the same for the other side. In other words, well over a week to clean both ears.

Has anyone else encountered this? I have had my ears cleaned a few times before and it was always done on the same day.

I can say the price was good :D 150 Baht for visit and two bottles of ear drops.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Ear Cleaning

Post by DuiDui49 » February 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

I LOVE MUSIC,okey.So i've kept my ears clean by applying eardrops..ONCE/YEAR..other then that just quick swab once/week,that's it.
Now i can say that doing that ALSO allow me to listen to all the Thaimusic,all the traffic noice and not to forget THE BARKING soidogs ;-)

Well can't eat the cake and keep it,right.I've read somewere that 10-20% of people has overacitivety going on in the way the nature take care of naturaly cleaning the ears,so that said...don't put that Tops in to far when cleaning,and buy the bottle of eardrops yourself..even if the price was only 150Bath..can't beat that price..ohh yeah,forgot..preventive care by yourself.

Have a great day Charlie ;-)...CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?..;-)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

After 19 or so years of occasionally seeing Dr Samet, I went to Bangkok Hospital one day as Dr Samet's office was closed. I saw Dr Laddawan Simthamnimit.....she prescribed Taravid ear drops and my problem cleared up quickly. As much as I never had any problems with Dr Samet, a visit there is akin to using dialup in the days of 4G or fiber optic. If I need to see an ENT again, I'll go back to Dr Laddawan.
Cost for Dr Laddawan was 1500 Baht.....the Taravid cost 750 Baht......but can buy the same at Somsak's pharmacy for about 250Baht.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 9, 2018, 7:03 pm

I remember back in 1973 going for my first haircut downtown off Ha Yaak circle.. The barber shop then gave me a great haircut, a shave, clipped my nose hairs, then tilted the chair back and used a goose neck lamp to look into my ears for wax buildup.. They used what looked like a tiny wire loop to clean out my ear canals. After all that, a good neck and shoulder massage finished the "haircut." Can't say I've seen that type of service these days..
Dave

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » February 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

You can buy ear spoons (google it). Wife has some and I got myself one - great!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 10, 2018, 9:48 am

yum! dish it out.. Yeah bought a box of them last time I was in the States. A little spoon on one end and a rubbery bristle on the other.
Dave

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 10, 2018, 10:35 am

UFF DA!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Best one is olive oil , few drops in the ear , cotton wool plug , go to bed and in the morning just pull out the cotton, then think "that's nasty ". but no harm as just a natural oil
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Some years back, I allowed a barber to clean my ears. Within a week I had an ear infection. I finally went to an ear doctor and his first question was if I had a barber clean my ears. His advice was to never let a barber clean my ears and to never squirt water from the shower in my ears. After that, I flushed my ears with distilled water and a mild mix of peroxide once a week for several weeks. Thankfully no problem since.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » February 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

It is beginning to look more like my ear blockage is due to a head cold with sinuses really starting to run now.

I have made an appointment with the ENT clinic at Bangkok Hospital to get it checked out but many thanks for all of the suggestions. I have lost faith in the good doctor Samet.

For ear cleaning check this out. It is called Smart Swab and is available from Lazada.

https://www.smartswab.com/?utm_source=G ... gJ28fD_BwE

Funny though. In the US it is $19.95. From Lazada only 195 Baht :-$

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2018, 2:32 pm

Charlieb, please post your results from Bangkok Hosp. for future ref. Thanks

As for sticking things in ears......I'd guess most any ENT would tell you not to do it.......one departed friend with a medical background told me to never stick anything in my ear smaller than my elbow. I would think they'd shiver at the sight of a barber sending a tiny spoon down someone's ear canal......not a disposable spoon, mind you.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 10, 2018, 3:25 pm

The peroxide works well, BUT, don't use it right from the bottle. About 3 parts distilled water and one part peroxide.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » February 10, 2018, 3:33 pm

I use Tea Tree oil on a Cotton bud each morning, & don't push it in too far, just clean around the canal.

I guess normal saline in a 20ml syringe could be used to irrigate, after having put olive oil for a few days, to soften the wax. Just don't apply to much force.

My wife went to see the ear doctor near Wattana, as she had muffled hearing.

His "examination" of her ear lasted less than 5 seconds. Useless.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 11, 2018, 6:33 am

Just an alternative viewpoint.

The last time my ears were cleaned was never. The next time could be sooner but probably not.

Maybe I am one of the majority of people who
produce just the right amount of earwax. In this case, the most I need to do is wipe gently around the outside areas of my ears after a shower. Let my ears’ self-cleaning mechanism do the rest.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 11, 2018, 6:59 am

re the ear Dr, Samet. Last time I went to see him he rather rudely told me to take my shoes off, he totally missed my sense of humour when I replied , "what to clean my ears" :roll:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » February 11, 2018, 6:17 pm

Well, I can finally hear again! :D

I went to Bangkok Hospital and saw Dr. Ittharat. He vacuumed my ears and must have got a pound from each ear.

It cost 1100 Baht but worth every penny to me and no 4 day waits!

The Dr said the wax in my ears was very soft and would be hard to get out any other way. He also warned against cotton swabs and the like.

I was almost completely deaf in both ears for a few days. Again thanks for the tips but next time, if any, I will head straight to the hospital and have it done properly.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 11, 2018, 7:11 pm

glalt wrote:
February 10, 2018, 3:25 pm
The peroxide works well, BUT, don't use it right from the bottle. About 3 parts distilled water and one part peroxide.
Humm, that might be why I have this constant ringing in my ears. :-k
WOULD SOMEONE ANSWER THAT DAMM PHONE!
UFF DA!

Return to “Health & Beauty”