First Thai Passport what documents needed

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 2, 2011, 10:24 am

Hello, my first post

My girlfriend wants to get her first thai passport and i beleive it can be done in Udon Thani, We live in Sakon Nakorn.

What documents does she need to bring with her?

Tabiean Baan? ID card? Anything else?

I heard the fee is 1035baht

Where exactley is it in Udon?

Thanks very much if anybody can help

Regards
Sakhon Nick

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: First Thai Passport what documents needed

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2011, 10:33 am

Welcome to the Forum nick...

this thread is a bit old, but maybe will help..
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/topic9937.html
I am sure if anyone has any updates then they will post..

stargate
udonmap.com

Post by stargate » March 2, 2011, 12:10 pm

the good news is the wife got her passport in udon a coupe of years back, the bad news is it was issued at the local goverment office that was burned down last year.might be an office to tell people where all the departments were moved to.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 2, 2011, 12:10 pm

thanks,

yes a bit old hopfully anyone out there has some new info if anything has changed

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 2, 2011, 3:13 pm

Sakhonnick wrote:thanks,

yes a bit old hopfully anyone out there has some new info if anything has changed
Can't be sure about the passport office but most of the departments displaced by the fire have been temporalily rehoused in the office bulding next to the social security office . This is in the road running alongside Tungsri Muang, the opposite side to the Chinese supermarket .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 2, 2011, 10:07 pm

Khon Kaen also issue them, so for the same distance and confirmation that their offices are still working and processing, it might be worth the drive there.

Allow urself at least 10 days for processinjg and psotage and remember Sonkran is soon upon the horizon, so dont get caught up in the 10 days of public holidays and staff absences etc

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 3, 2011, 12:43 pm

anybody got info for me? is the place still open? what documents needed?

thanks in advance

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » March 3, 2011, 7:31 pm

trubrit wrote:
Sakhonnick wrote:thanks,

Can't be sure about the passport office but most of the departments displaced by the fire have been temporalily rehoused in the office bulding next to the social security office . This is in the road running alongside Tungsri Muang, the opposite side to the Chinese supermarket .
The passport office is still fit for purpose and wasn,t effected.

It,s opposite the Amphurs offices and you should be able to recognise it as it,s a newish building with a pointed roof.

You can access it across the road from the Amphur where there are several food carts ect. in the vicinity.

Incidently just in case anyone is needing a passport / renewal for family under 20, you now have to get a letter from the Amphur to prove you are the legal guardian and you give your permission and acknowledge you are happy with the application.

You need to do this prior to getting them a passport.

marshbags ;)

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » March 4, 2011, 10:28 am

We went there yesterday to get Thai passports for our two children. It couldn't be more easier! At least in this office Thailand seems to have arrived in the 21st century. Lots of separated stations for the applicants (our wait time was 5 minutes) . Every station has its own photo chamber, Digicam, scanner, fingerprint scanner and ID card reader. No copies necessary, they scan and simply keep everything as file. No photos necessary, done there in seconds. Etc.

Based on these experiences the advice to go to a different town makes zero sense, to say it in a polite way.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » March 4, 2011, 10:36 am

marshbags wrote:Incidently just in case anyone is needing a passport / renewal for family under 20, you now have to get a letter from the Amphur to prove you are the legal guardian and you give your permission and acknowledge you are happy with the application.
IMHO this statement is incorrect. The special paper is needed for any child where the father will not sign the passport application. So if it is your child and you are married to the mother you will not need this paper. If the child is not yours your wife will also have to provide the usual two wittnesses/signers (sister/housemaid etc) to sign for the special paper at the Amphoe.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 4, 2011, 11:32 am

Techland wrote: Based on these experiences the advice to go to a different town makes zero sense, to say it in a polite way.
my suggestion was based on the fact that the offices might not be operating fully based on last years fire and damage etc, something that OP also stated and an alternative was identified

good news that all was in place and good news for those with kids etc,

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » March 4, 2011, 7:51 pm

Techland wrote:
marshbags wrote:Incidently just in case anyone is needing a passport / renewal for family under 20, you now have to get a letter from the Amphur to prove you are the legal guardian and you give your permission and acknowledge you are happy with the application.
IMHO this statement is incorrect. The special paper is needed for any child where the father will not sign the passport application. So if it is your child and you are married to the mother you will not need this paper. If the child is not yours your wife will also have to provide the usual two wittnesses/signers (sister/housemaid etc) to sign for the special paper at the Amphoe.
I went to the Udon passport office to confirm that it was indeed open for business and not fire damaged so as to make sure I was posting correct information I believed to be true.

While I was there, I collected 2 applications for both my wife and my daughter who are due to renew their passports.

I gave the receptionist their existing passports , whereby she asked a senior official to come to the desk and see me, plus the fact that his English was far superior to my limited Thai

He kindly informed / advised that as my daughter was under 20,
( I am by the way her father and confirmed this to them when asked )

I have to go across to the Amphurs prior to going to get the renewal and complete a verification form that shows

1) I am her legal guardian and (2) I am aware that she could go out of the country and travel anytime on issue.

A specimen photocopy of the required application was kindly given to me to take home for my wife to read.

It is stamped with the seal of the amphur after I sign the completed form and show legal documents showing I am indeed her guardian, along with 2 witnesses from this office.

I /we then take it over to the passport office, along with our completed applications for their renewed ones.

Sorry, no facilities to copy and download it or I would gladly do so.

Perhaps they have recently brought his requirement in and not before time.

In my opinion it is a very good safeguard for our children and also keeps us their parents informed and prevents any one of a multitude of things happening.

IMHO as a caring parent of course.

marshbags ;)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 4, 2011, 9:03 pm

Marshbags

Both of you are correct as you got what was needed.

You have just identified the practice that we are all well and truly accustomed to, that is the inconsistency within the various government departments and other instritutions such as banks, when applying interpretations to the rules / procedures and requirements.

1 day an employee will apply this list of documents, and the next a totally different set required , based on the side of the bed they got out of etc..

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » March 5, 2011, 10:02 am

I don't think so. According to marshbags description he came without any papers, without wife and without kid. I had all papers and persons with me, including the thai birth certificate and the german equivalent for my son, our wedding paper, son and wife. This automatically erases points 1 and 2 from marshbags list. No questions left, and therefore presto service.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 16, 2012, 2:38 pm

My wife applied for her passport today and inquired about getting one for our child.
For hers, she only needed her Thai National ID card. For the child, she was told she needs to bring Birth certificate, Marriage Certificate and me (along with my passport). She was told processing time will be one week.

Good to hear of the different experiences. I always like to go to Thai government offices prepared for anything!

As wazza said,
wazza wrote:1 day an employee will apply this list of documents, and the next a totally different set required , based on the side of the bed they got out of etc..
UFF DA!

dogger
udonmap.com

Post by dogger » February 24, 2014, 9:51 am

I need to get a passports tomorrow for my two daughters (11 and 9)I have got their ID cards, I know where to go but I am unsure of return time from the time of lodgement and I guess the photos are taken on site. They have passports already but they need a new one each.
Any recent info is appreciated.

dogger
udonmap.com

Post by dogger » March 4, 2014, 7:03 am

Replying to my own post:
I got the first passport for both girlsI had and knew already, birth certifictes etc but I asked my wife Tabian Baan?
yes she replied, but this was just a copy and what was required was the original, luckily this only requied us to make a 1.5 hr trip to get to her village and retreive it. SO with this all asembled we went into the goverment offices were we processed by the most pleasnt lady

Return to “Thailand Law”