Flooding in Udon Thani today

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Macca
udonmap.com

Flooding in Udon Thani today

Post by Macca » February 6, 2015, 11:05 am

wiking wrote:soon the rice prise will go up - harvest 3 millions tons less in the off season
Going slightly off topic but.
I live in rural Udon and like all villages we are surrounded by endless rice fields.
I reckon the drop in fields being used to harvest rice compared to 7 years ago could be as much as 40%.
The fashion at the moment is to sell the soil for building plots. A nice payment but once it's gone the land is useless other than becoming another fish farm.
The next generation aren't interested in becoming rice farmers.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Flooding in Udon Thani today

Post by parrot » January 3, 2017, 8:38 pm

I came across this website today while messing around with my smartphone and google earth. It may be of interest to anyone considering purchasing a piece of land........or not. You can also determine elevation of various locations using google earth.....but the elevation map gives a pretty good overall picture of where puddles are going to occur in the event of major rain events.

http://www.floodmap.net/elevation/Eleva ... gi=1605239

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Apart from a good wee downpour on New Years Eve there has been absolutely no rain since end of October. ( 50 klicks east of UT City ) Nothing happening in the fields since the rice harvest at the end Nov/Start of December so probably no income for the farmers until late next year. Things are not looking good for the Issan farmers just now.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 4, 2017, 4:24 pm

"Things are not looking good for the Issan farmers just now."

Actually, the lack of rain this time of the year is ops normal for Udon. Any farmers who are producing anything now most likely have a pond or a well.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 4, 2017, 4:37 pm

I know what you are saying Parrot but if you look at seasonal averages there should have been around 50mm + of rain since October. Nothing like that here.

Return to “Udon Thani News”