Fruit wine?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Fruit wine?

Post by vincemunday » August 21, 2017, 7:23 pm

I've been looking for a dry white wine that I can keep in the fridge and have a glass every now and again. The wines I drink at home are hugely expensive here so I've been looking for another that I can buy here reasonably priced. However, when I've been looking at the labels they say "Fruit Wine" and after reading about them on the internet they aren't really wines as we would understand them back home. Today in Big C I was looking at 500 plus baht bottles and I was surprised that even they are this mix. Does anyone know of a decent dry white wine or "fruit wine" that's okay, I've been drinking boxed Peter Vella House Red up till now which was quite okay but I don't like cold red, yes it's also a "fruit wine" too.

"I don't risk my life for the sake of my children, I risk it for the sake of everyone's children" Stephen Yaxley-Lennon aka Tommy Robison - Free speech activist 2017

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Re: Fruit wine?

Post by Tom & Jee » August 21, 2017, 7:35 pm

Marisol 4lt. 720 at bigc 800 at villa market.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 21, 2017, 7:45 pm

If you sell it Tom I will try a glass when I come in for lunch.
"I don't risk my life for the sake of my children, I risk it for the sake of everyone's children" Stephen Yaxley-Lennon aka Tommy Robison - Free speech activist 2017

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 21, 2017, 7:58 pm

Casavini White wine available at Villa Market for about 450THB for a 2L bottle
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Post by Tom & Jee » August 22, 2017, 6:49 am

vincemunday wrote:
August 21, 2017, 7:45 pm
If you sell it Tom I will try a glass when I come in for lunch.
Sorry I just sell the red ....not many requests for white.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 25, 2017, 7:54 am

The Mont Clair boxes from Tesco by Siam Winery red is really quite nice, they also make a white, I haven't tried it myself but SWMBO says it's as good as the red.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 25, 2017, 8:02 am

I've bought a box of the white Marisol that Tom recommended and it's in the fridge nice and cold so I'll have a glass tonight and let you know how it goes. While I was in his restaurant yesterday he gave me a glass of the red Marisol, it's much lighter than the Peter Vella house red which I drink warm and it's very nice but the Marisol red reminds me almost of a Beaujolais, it's quite light and I quite liked it chilled so it's another one I can drink.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 25, 2017, 11:14 am

Thailand sadly crucifies the importation of decent wines with taxes

Australian Pinots, are 750 Baht in Villa and Tops.

Bottom line for me, if you see an Australian Wine under 500 baht, its most likely a blended wine from clean skins / blended with crap and rebadged / labelled under a shelf company. google the labels and there isnt a winery in many places. Just bottling factories for 21sts , Weddings Parties and Corporate functions.

The Thais only know 1 wine label , Penfolds.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » August 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

wazza wrote:
August 25, 2017, 11:14 am
Thailand sadly crucifies the importation of decent wines with taxes

Australian Pinots, are 750 Baht in Villa and Tops.

Bottom line for me, if you see an Australian Wine under 500 baht, its most likely a blended wine from clean skins / blended with crap and rebadged / labelled under a shelf company. google the labels and there isnt a winery in many places. Just bottling factories for 21sts , Weddings Parties and Corporate functions.

The Thais only know 1 wine label , Penfolds.
To make it easier to everyone:
Blue tax label means that product is imported, orange means that it is locally made, fermented or alcohol added.

One way to calculate is price. Tax for GRAPE-BASED WINE (not fruit wine) is at least 300 thb per litre (225 thb per bottle). So 4 litres "real" wine shoud have tax valued to 1200 thb.

I try to look blue tax label, then price per bottle (back home price 10 euros means 400 thb plus tax 225 thb plus some extra totalling to 650 thb. Then it goes over expensive limit and extra 36% tax will be added. Price goes to 900 thb per bottle). 6-7 euros wine can be found with 500-600 thb price tag.

Most common way it to buy grape juice from a well known winery (i.i. from Australia). Then bring it to Thailand with a very low tax, add some other juice and alcohol. Then name it based on origin winery and mention that in very small printed text in label including fruit wine text. In fact many times it is not wine, but alcohol drink.

After some test made, I can say that so called fruit wines have at least one good feature: Normal wine goes bad, after opening, during 3-5 days. Fruit wine, because it is very often alcohol and juice, lasts drinkable several weeks.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 25, 2017, 5:14 pm

Look for 2 litre bottles of 'white' wine at Makro, Tesco. Big C or villa market. Various brands,all fruit wine. Agree real wine is priced far to high, also i have had some bottles which had obviously not been kept cool and had gone off. So i stick to the fruit wine these days. I have tried Castle Creek but various brands, unfortunately what is in stock fluctuates. Typically 350-450 baht a 2 litre bottle, i believe tax is due to go up soon.

A red wine man myself, even chilled. Much harder to find a good tasting white here. I buy either 2 litre bottles or 4 litre boxes. and keep in the fridge once opened, unless drinking all in the next 2 days. Watch out for some of the cheap Thai fruit only ones, sold in standard bottles, some are absolutely awful.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » August 25, 2017, 8:38 pm

Guys with HPB should avoid many wines, especially if they have sulfites added. It's a preservative. Gave up Champanae years ago, it raised my blood pressure and caused insomnia.
Looked at the wines in Makro a few days ago, out of curiosity. Most said "Fruit Flavor"
That means chemicals, artificial flavors, ect.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”