Getting around by local transport

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
cnkbud
udonmap.com

Getting around by local transport

Post by cnkbud » January 26, 2006, 11:48 pm

Hi guys,
As one who is considering retirement up there would like to know the ease of getting around in the city and outlaying areas by just relying on public transport. Don't really want to have a personal vehicle to get around unless absolutely necessary, too damn old and impatient to put up with that hassle. Also, anyone there know what the distance is between Udon Thani and Chiang Mai, and what the shortest travel time is between these points by 1st class air con bus. Thanks guys, have a good one and enjoh. Old Bud

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 27, 2006, 12:37 am

Hi Old Bud,
Firstly... the shortest travel time between Udon and Chiang Mai is about 1 hour by plane (Nok Air). I am unaware of a road route, other than from Bangkok.
Public transport in Udon is plentiful and cheap (tuk tuks, motorcycle taxis, van taxis).
Personally, although we have a fairly new pick-up, I wouldn't do without my trusty little Honda. :wink:

Steve

tenbyboy
udonmap.com

Post by tenbyboy » January 27, 2006, 12:44 am

Last edited by tenbyboy on January 30, 2006, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 27, 2006, 1:34 am

Bud...you can do Udon to Chaingmai....but flights are twice week is my recollection (somebody correct me if it has changed)

You can drive also (anything is possible :lol: , I did it twice) but its 9 hours or more, with your foot very hard down!!. Its a mountainous minor road route from Udon. A bus journey would be purgatory; I have no idea how long that would take, even if it is possible. My best guess, 15 hours or so.

As for a vehicle in Udon, well travelling locally you do not really, absolutely, need your own transport, I suppose. But it's much more convenient. If you want to explore a bit outside, go to the festivals, see the sights or just relax in the local area, it's essential IMHO.

Get a motorcycle (if, and only if, you are an experienced bike rider already, its very dangerous otherwise) or a small car is cheap. It is not stressful outside urban areas

John

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 27, 2006, 1:56 am

yorkman wrote:Bud...you can do Udon to Chaingmai....but flights are twice week is my recollection (somebody correct me if it has changed)

John
I think your right there John, Fridays and Sundays comes to mind.

yorkman wrote: or a small car is cheap.

John
and so much more comfortable than a tuk tuk :shock:

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 27, 2006, 2:05 am

Well its a samlaw in Udon, never seen a tuk tuk; but yes, if you want to use daily, its only slightly better

The taxi/bus (converted pickups) are ok, very cheap, but you are stuck in Udon if that is your main method of transport

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 27, 2006, 2:22 am

yorkman wrote:Well its a samlaw in Udon, never seen a tuk tuk;
When anyone mentions "samlaw"... I shudder and think "pedal cycle threads"? :lol: only kidding.. yes, they are indeed motorised samlaws, as you rightly say, and not the smelly 2 stroke tuk tuks of Bkk.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 27, 2006, 2:30 am

John, you are right flights to Chaing Mai/Udon (and return) by Nok Air now twice a week, Friday & Sunday late afternoon/early evening. Takes about 50 minutes. In theory the price is 1008 baht each way, but I am pretty sure you have to advance book to get that price.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 27, 2006, 5:07 am

Stevo wrote:
yorkman wrote:Well its a samlaw in Udon, never seen a tuk tuk;
When anyone mentions "samlaw"... I shudder and think "pedal cycle threads"? :lol: only kidding.. yes, they are indeed motorised samlaws, as you rightly say, and not the smelly 2 stroke tuk tuks of Bkk.
speaking of tuk-tuks there is a indian take-away thats just opened near me in uk and they are delivering take-aways in........yes Tuk-Tuks, nice gimmick, now back to transport in udon, Thanks :wink:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 27, 2006, 5:11 am

Ok the subject came up, what is the price of a small cheap car. Guess you are talking about something like a Hyundai Accent.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 27, 2006, 5:29 am

Oddly enough to-day i just sold a hyundai accent it was automatic,and was a 1999 model, for a mere ฃ700. approx 45000 baht, but it was in uk, and a rough guess the same thing in udon could be around 200,000 baht + . not great cars either . :wink: cheap and cheerful though. IMO
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » January 27, 2006, 10:19 am

During the day the Baht buse areeasy enough to use, 6 baht a ride, but at night a far as I can tell they stop running, so then it's TUk Tuk, time, much more expensive and may be hard to find if your not in the downtown area.

If you do much traveling in the evenings a personal vehicle will actually save you money. If you can ride, it is the best way to get around. If not do yourself a favor and stay away from it. It is dangerous in the town enviornment, they will simply run over you without a second thought. Most of the Thai's are very skilled riders and most of the time know how to ge out of the way. 8)

Chaigf Mia I think some where around 100 KMS, I ridden on a bike straight through I won't do that agian :shock:

Having a personal vehicle here is a very good thing, emergencies do come up and at night it could cause you a lot of problems if you don't have one.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 27, 2006, 11:53 am

banpaeng wrote:Ok the subject came up, what is the price of a small cheap car. Guess you are talking about something like a Hyundai Accent.
Well it depends what you want, LA was advertising an old vehicle that would do the job if you do not care about flash for 50,000 or so I think.

A new Toyota Vios or similar is starting at 500,000 or thereabouts. Either that or a Honda Jazz or similar have minimal depreciation.

Most cars will collect a few dings, usually while you are not driving it :roll: , so secondhand is best from that point of view. However the concept of servicing a vehicle is a bit alien in Thailand, so new or near new is better from that point of view. Up to you, as they say.

New small motorcycles like the Honda Wave are dirt cheap (start at 26,000 or so new), are excellent local transport, but has been pointed out, definately not recommended unless you are an experienced bike rider already and you keep your wits about you. Anything over 250cc that could be regarded as more suitable for distance, is an import.

Was that a typo Ray, Chaingmai 100km???, or was that your average speed (100 km/h)??

John

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » January 27, 2006, 12:39 pm

Typo big time 1,000

Stu
udonmap.com

Post by Stu » January 27, 2006, 11:42 pm

Last October, I took the bus from Udon to Chaing Mai. I looked at both the so called first class air con bus and the VIP bus. The "First Class" was crowded and cramped and had no toilet on board, so I elected for the VIP. It cost a few dollars more, but was well worth it. The seats are large with plenty of leg room. It was a long trip -- about 11 hours, I think, but it was at night so I slept most of the way. I would never make the trip on a regular "first class" bus. I think the cost for the VIP was around 700 baht.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 28, 2006, 12:02 am

Stu wrote:Last October, I took the bus from Udon to Chaing Mai. I looked at both the so called first class air con bus and the VIP bus. The "First Class" was crowded and cramped and had no toilet on board, so I elected for the VIP. It cost a few dollars more, but was well worth it. The seats are large with plenty of leg room. It was a long trip -- about 11 hours, I think, but it was at night so I slept most of the way. I would never make the trip on a regular "first class" bus. I think the cost for the VIP was around 700 baht.
Toilets on tour bus's are a must, the speed they reach and chances they take you will need one.! and a change of clothes.... :yikes:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

cnkbud
udonmap.com

Post by cnkbud » January 28, 2006, 12:14 am

Many thanks guys for that input, sure sounds like one would need their personal transport up there but was hoping I would find local transport adequate for my limited needs, quess will just have to get up there to find that out. Hey, I know plenty of older guys here who really love their motorcycles but don't think they're for me as everone I know that has had one had at least one accident or more with them and quess the old saying "sooner or later" applies. As for the Chaing Mai bus trip question, didn't do my homework about how far it really is from Udon Thani, and many thanks to STU for pointing out the difference in the class of of buses, just assumed that 1st class was top of the line, please excuse my ignorance here, regardless, don't think 11 or so hours on a bus is for me unless one really want to see the countryside and if usually a night trip that would be out anyway. Thanks again guys and have a good one, enjoy.
Old Bud

Return to “Travel & Transport”