How do you spend your time in Udon day to day

General Udon Thani topics only!
nickboyuk
udonmap.com

How do you spend your time in Udon day to day

Post by nickboyuk » March 12, 2017, 3:57 am

For those who are retired and not working or have a business, what do you do all day. What is a typical day like living there day in day out. Be interesting to know.
I just wonder if i was living there permanently I may get bored.
Cheers.

Galee
udonmap.com

Re: How do you spend your time in Udon day to day

Post by Galee » March 12, 2017, 8:16 am

Playing or practicing golf. Pool. Walking dogs. A bit of gardening. Watching TV. Internet.

It helps if your naturally lazy like me. :D

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » March 12, 2017, 9:15 am

This is a very good question. I don't play golf and I don't exercise, so what do. I do work online from overseas and always have a few projects going on around the house and garden. I show up at all the village functions and find the sooner you can eat their food the better you can fit in. You can always find some fat ferangs to sit and swill beer with but the older you get the more this affects your health. Also I keep an eye on the airline sites Air Asia, Nok Air,Lion air if you book early enough you can get cheap combo plane and boat tickets to the islands. Whenever they start a new flight out of Udon Thani
there are always good deals also. The odd trip to Laos is Ok but the problem besides the visa fee is that it eats up a page and a half of your passport every time.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » March 12, 2017, 9:19 am

I think it is all up to the individual. I like to do some electronic type projects... at the moment I'm trying to set-up a laser tripwire on top of my perimeter wall :confused: The nice thing is, you only have the wife to boss you around to fix this or that... not eight hours a day of servitude. If you feel like doing fxxk-all that day.. just do it :-"

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 12, 2017, 10:00 am

rjj04 wrote:at the moment I'm trying to set-up a laser tripwire on top of my perimeter wall
RJ,
Can you post a thread of that project when you get it finished?
I'm sure tons of us would be interested.
Mick

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » March 12, 2017, 11:02 am

mickojak wrote:
rjj04 wrote:at the moment I'm trying to set-up a laser tripwire on top of my perimeter wall
RJ,
Can you post a thread of that project when you get it finished?
I'm sure tons of us would be interested.
Mick
Sure, if people are interested, and assuming I can get it to work properly. Cost per segment maybe 500 THB (1000 THB if you want two lasers per segment) and maybe another 600 THB for the network connection (an OrangePi PC with an Arduino hanging off it). I don't see anything like this on youtube so it could be a first.

Quite a few of the projects I try amount to sod all.. so don't hold your breath (I'm very close though) ;)

Last month I installed a panic button/alarm in the kitchen with one of those red school-bells at the top of the house. The wife worries when she and the child are alone in the house... too many thieves about in this village these days.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 12, 2017, 12:06 pm

My first responsibility is taking care of the "Honey Do " projects and taking care of whatever needs to be fixed or cleaned up around the house. We go to Weddings, Funerals, Tumboun (Spelling ? ) Events in the village and to any of the Events at the village temple. We have been watering the plants around the house just about every day, I am looking forward for the rainy season. We exercise together every day by taking a brisk 3 Kilometer walk everyday late in the afternoon. Spending the day around the house and streaming Thai Looktung Network music playing in the background and the presence of my Thai wife of 44 years nearby gives my heart and soul peace and contentment. We get together with several other Expat and Thai wife couples about once a week sometimes more in town at Central Plaza or one the Restaurants around town. The wifes get together to eat and talk and us husbands do the same. I enjoy doing Electronics Engineering and Design and anything to do with Programming, Networking and IT & Computer Technology. I also enjoy doing auto mechanics work but living out in a small remote village leaves me with limited resources for Automobile work or Electronics Design. Our village just got 3BB DSL several months ago so I am currently in the process of playing around with a T95X Android TV box & KODI and I am teaching myself to write some code with Android Studio. I have totally wiped out and reloaded the Firmware on my Android TV box more times than I can remember and learning in the process what does not work and what you cannot do.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 12, 2017, 12:15 pm

rjj04 wrote:Quite a few of the projects I try amount to sod all.. so don't hold your breath (I'm very close though)
Another crazy inventor :lol:

I can relate to that!
Mick

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » March 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

pf-flyer wrote: but living out in a small remote village leaves me with limited resources for Automobile work or Electronics Design
feeling the pain... the inevitable delays due to having to get almost everything delivered from online shops. You have to have a few projects going on at the same time or you'll be sitting about twiddling your fingers all day :)
mickojak wrote:
rjj04 wrote:Quite a few of the projects I try amount to sod all.. so don't hold your breath (I'm very close though)
Another crazy inventor :lol:

I can relate to that!
Mick
Yeah, seems there are quite a few of us here. We live out in the boonies, so it is either tinkering or the psycho ward for me. A nice long walk does help though, doesn't it.

To the ops point though, you really need some hobbies if you want to live outside the city... not even a golf course for 50km around here. Of course there is always ribbing each other on UdonMap, which is good for whiling away a few minutes here and there :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

I just had 7 months off work, due to the Oil and Gas downturn and used the time to practice being retired.

Was able to utilise the time and get a good feel on many things. Idle time was a concern and being rooted doing nothing was on my mind.
Things that came to pass
[*]estimate of future monthly costs for all items, as insurances were to be paid while home, food, vehicle maintenance, etc etc. Now have a figure that we can work around, with out short changing some good things in life.
[*]Share responsibility around the house, who really is the boss, when I work fly in fly out I tend to lwt her rule the roost when home, not anymore. Equal rights are the go.
[*]Put a lot of time into thinking about the house build and getting quotes and sub contractors on board ready to pull the trigger when I got my next job. Which has now happened, but not in oil & gas. I change my expectations on completion dates and happy to just build as small projects now. Living in an old house on the land allows this.
[*]Diet was another thought. Putting on extra kilos will need to be looked at. I lived healthy for most of it and came to enjoy the girls cooking skills.
[*]Also was able to observe and appreciate how hard she works around the place, her herbal garden, washing dogs, general cleaning. A tireless effort, I will have to contribute more once retired. :D
[*]Taking the daughter to school 7 days a week, taking her and picking up from badminton 4 times a week.
[*]As mentioned by rjj)4 I was able to do diddly squat when I felt like it.
[*]Learnt how to navigate a bit better around town and appreciate in a good way how bad they do drive.
[*]Visit a few out lying bars. Very enjoyable.
[*]Did a 3 day tour drive of 900 kms to see what's out there in this region of Thailand. More of that to come in the future.
[*]Able to explore any business opportunities. Listen and learn from the forum and one on one chatting.
[*]Had plenty of arguments with the boss, but that's norm for any relationship. Plenty of area to move away and get over it quickly.
[*]Need to try harder and learn the basics of the Thai language, can't rely on the daughter and girl friend to keep me afloat.
[*]Had plenty of quiet moments which I enjoy. I don't read books but can contemplate my navel for a couple of hours when required.
[*]Learnt not to watch to much TV, couple of movies and my rugby league. Will fine tune TV channels later.

There's more but overall I think I will be able to keep myself busy. Doing things or doing nothing.
Keeping ones self healthy is a priority so gentle exercise and good food which is a plenty here are a must.
Beer is still OK. \:D/

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 12, 2017, 4:03 pm

Barney i like your approach.. i appreciate that you do not equate, associate, Retirement with laziness, laisser-faire or with nothing to do. Many of my friends who retired before i did, used to tell me.. << we have so many projects and so little time >>. That s the way i try to manage my retirement here in LOS keeping a full schedule with some serious and some not so serious activities. I wish i would always take the time to really enjoy each step, each day.. But old bad habits don t die easily.
Have a nice retirement.. Enjoy the weather...

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 12, 2017, 4:10 pm

when not under the weather daily exercise at the village park at 0630.

Daily yard work and watering from the pond pump daily during the dry season.. Since we've got over 3 rai, the front side on one day and the back side on the t'other

House projects never end.... The latest was a UPVC window install followed by inside cleanup and outside trim painting..

Out to eat a couple of times a week with different friends..

NETFLiX each night while the wife is watching the Thai Soaps.

Every couple of weeks we get out on a day trip.. We've done Wat Phu Tok, Sakon Nakon, an individual's Palace in Sakon Nakhon, Kham Chanot (a couple of times), The glass skywalk up in Nong Khai Province, Chiang Khan (an overnighter), Tham Erawan, and numerous other Sunday type drives cruising around diffeerent areas close to the city...

Lots of Internet of course.. 3BB gives me their promise 30mb own an 5mb up..
Dave

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » March 12, 2017, 4:53 pm

I think Barney raised one key point. If you're stuck for something to do in a foreign country why not throw yourself into learning the language? It makes life so much easier being able to communicate more effectively with the wider community.
If nowt else, Thai girls really appreciate the effort you've put in learning their language and a few Isaan phrases go a long way too.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » March 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

For my part, I enrolled in piano lessons as soon as I came out here. Something I had always wanted to do but never had the time. I bought a piano and spend an hour a day trying (and failing) to improve.

Golf is a good way to mix with the expat community and also enables you to get away from the routine with trips to other parts of the Kingdom to play.

Apart from that, after years in the rat race, I enjoy the village life with maybe a wedding and a funeral (!!) every week along with the regular tambuns and school events

I bicycle and jog round our local lake regularly and find pleasure in being with my Thai family.

Personally, I have had a 3 month stint in the UK as I have had things to sort and am really missing the simple things like picking up my grandchildren from school. Cant wait to get back.......!!

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

You definitely need a hobby. I go to the gym a couple of time per week, it suits me because I'm not restricted to a certain time of the day or night. I'm no golfer however I don't mibd belting a bucket of balls on the driving range. Learning a musical instrument is a great idea and if there's always Thai language classes.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

nickboyuk wrote:For those who are retired and not working or have a business, what do you do all day. What is a typical day like living there day in day out. Be interesting to know.
I just wonder if i was living there permanently I may get bored.
Cheers.
You can do pretty much everything here in retirement that you could do anywhere else. There is something for everyone who is actively looking.

Good luck! =D>
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

nickboyuk
udonmap.com

Post by nickboyuk » March 12, 2017, 6:48 pm

Cheers this is all good to see what you get upto. I could see myself taking up golf, going to a gym, I like walking but sometimes its too hot. I should at least attempt to learn the Thai language, I've always wanted to play the guitar. At the moment I come twice a year for 3-4 weeks a time. Mrs comes over here too, but the time will come when I finally retire. Although I only work 3 days a week as I am a partially retired civil servant and was in the Nay for 23 years years. I do enjoy it.
We've just about exhausted all the touristy bits around, although I do fancy a trip to Lao next time.
Thanks

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Still lots of good biking to do around Udon.....on the road or on trails.

Learn the language.....reading, even at a kindergarten level, will improve your life here immensely. You don't need a fancy school or expensive materials. Just a good teacher, one-on-one, who can teach you the basics. From there, you can continue on your own if you like.

Flights from Udon to Chiangmai, Udon to Phuket, Udon to Bangkok. No need to drive long distances (if you prefer not to).....you can rent a car on arrival and explore.

20 years here.....probably a half dozen days I've felt bored.........then I got off my ass and did something.

Netflix

Take an art class at the community school on Makkaeng Rd. I'd guess not much in the way of language skills is necessary.

If you're bored here, you'd be bored wherever you live.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 13, 2017, 5:27 am

first I perve, perve and perve..no drink, no bars
I am an outdoorsy type dude and we have some rice fields, and jungly bits, so I am learning to grow rice, and looking at cows in the future, and poking about in the field..once its to hot I am inside.shovelled 6 truckloads of dirt just for something to do, and keep fit..no gym here Matey...I have two more books to write, but saving that for when the missus is back at work and the house is quiet..I hit the road on the motorbike when need to get out, have the odd weekend in a hotel in the big smoke, alone or with her indoors, and spoil myself,..spend money I dont have. then there is sorting all the drunk families problems out..oyoyo..that keeps me busy on its own..I am learning how to do nothing, which is easy...I come home downunder every 3 months and stroll the farm, fence, buy and sell stock and things to feed my lifestyle...have the odd mate in Udon to chew the fat with when needed..and then there is the missus..oyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 13, 2017, 5:39 am

maaka wrote:first I perve, perve and perve
maaka wrote:looking at cows
I'm starting to worry about you now Makka :lol:
You sheep back home will get jealous. [-X
Mick

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”