Income Letter

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
fdimike
udonmap.com

Re: Income Letter

Post by fdimike » October 11, 2018, 10:24 am

The problem doesn't seem to be with Thai Immigration. The problem seems to be with the British Embassy and maybe others.

I receive this from the USEMB American Citizen Services re: the Income Affidavit.

"...We are currently evaluating options regarding the future provision of this document."

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 12, 2018, 5:06 pm

fdimike wrote:
October 11, 2018, 10:24 am
The problem doesn't seem to be with Thai Immigration. The problem seems to be with the British Embassy and maybe others.

I receive this from the USEMB American Citizen Services re: the Income Affidavit.

"...We are currently evaluating options regarding the future provision of this document."
Hmm, not good news, Mike.

Noticed embassy seems to be cutting back, now their web site is no longer updated with "OutReach" notices, seems that one needs to depend on the email notice, which I noticed about a year ago, didn't receive one. Fluke? Maybe.

Figure I need just one more to get me to end date, and they are coming next month, fingers crossed.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 12, 2018, 5:52 pm

RL I'm not sure where you're checking but here's the latest Outreach schedule: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... r-outreach which is posted on their website.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » October 12, 2018, 7:53 pm

tomboy wrote:
October 10, 2018, 8:57 pm
my understanding is that the Thai immigration have not instructed the British Embassy to stop these income letters.Will the Immigration now allow us Brits to provide and accept these letters duly signed by a Thai Attorney.i am told that here in Udonthani they have already taken this as a cash reward.
The under counter (most farangs use here) for an illegal retirement visa has now been increased from 16.00 to 20.00 Baht.Good old British Embassy hanging us expats to dry.I will speak with Udonthani immigration as the alternative is to pay them for this service as, again ,I am told, they can give you an under counter visa much cheaper than the lady that accommodates the scores of expats for these illegal visa's.Honest documentation will no longer be required (if you keep your money in an uk bank) so one will have to revert to the Udonthani undercover system of gaining a retirement visa.
CORRUPTION PAY'S!!!
I really dislike banking in Thailand, and prefer to keep the bulk of my money in the States. Other than the fact I'm not retired, that's one reason that years ago, I opted against getting a retirement visa and have renewed my Non-O family visa every 15 months by flying back to Los Angeles.

I leave again at the end of this month. My RT China Southern Airlines ticket cost $435. Add $100 for a RT ticket Udon-Bangkok. At the Thai consulate in LA, it costs $200 for the Non-O 1-year visa (3 months extension no problem). So, in this instance, it's almost the same price to fly home for a new visa than to pay the 20K THB (same price in Pattaya, BTW) for an under-the-table Multiple-entry retirement visa.

That's kind of mind-boggling.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the Thai are very inventive in the ways they make it hard for farangs to live here, and especially to work and thrive here. Payback for the way we bang the snot out of their women? Nah, it's just greed.
The best gadget is the human brain.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 12, 2018, 7:56 pm

well, the U.S. Embassy provides a fill in the blank affidavit of income but the only "service" they provide for that letter is a notary stamp for $50 a pop... So, you're not paying for the affidavit of income you're paying for the stamp.... Funny you got an e-mail saying they're looking at it, I'm on their mailing list but didn't get anything.. Selective transmission by them?
Dave

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 12, 2018, 8:00 pm

The reason I received an email from the embassy was because I sent an email asking them about the issue. they were kind enough to reply.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 12, 2018, 8:12 pm

thanks.. that's enlightening..
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 12, 2018, 10:15 pm

fdimike wrote:
October 12, 2018, 5:52 pm
RL I'm not sure where you're checking but here's the latest Outreach schedule: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... r-outreach which is posted on their website.
Right, but before as the date nears, before you could click on it and it would give all the info like date, time, and where. What was offered and how much. If you look at the link you will notice that CHIANG RAI: September 2018 gives No Info. So unless you got the info somewhere else, you know none of the above.
To me that is a cut back. Saw a post somewhere that to get the full info you needed to get the email notice. Sure someone will post here on this site, when the email goes out. Most of us will need the day and time along with where and how much to pay, which needs to be a draft from a bank.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 13, 2018, 7:18 am

RL understand now what you're talking about. However if you read further it says: "Specific times and locations are released 10-14 days prior to each Outreach event through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs which allows U.S. citizens traveling and living abroad to receive important information by enrolling with their nearest Embassy or Consulate. If you would like to receive specific dates and times of our Outreach Events, please register for STEP at https://step.state.gov/step/."

I don't see any cutback at all. It looks like they're trying to get more US citizens enrolled in their STEP program.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 13, 2018, 7:24 am

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... vice-fees/
I would imagine the Udon Outreach will occur during the first week of November and the Phuket Outreach during the second week. Thanksgiving being on the fourth week.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 13, 2018, 7:43 am

RL I just enrolled in the USEMB STEP program. It took about 5 minutes and was easy to do.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 9:47 am

fdimike wrote:
October 13, 2018, 7:18 am
RL understand now what you're talking about. However if you read further it says: "Specific times and locations are released 10-14 days prior to each Outreach event through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs which allows U.S. citizens traveling and living abroad to receive important information by enrolling with their nearest Embassy or Consulate. If you would like to receive specific dates and times of our Outreach Events, please register for STEP at https://step.state.gov/step/."

I don't see any cutback at all. It looks like they're trying to get more US citizens enrolled in their STEP program.
Agree, but like I said above somewhere, I didn't receive a notice about a year ago, I think, hard to tell for time flies, even though I am enrolled to receive notices, (STEP?). It might of gotten lost or sent to junk. Was thinking maybe got un-enrolled, but then I started getting them again.

For anyone on Twitter you can follow them there @ACSBKK but not for "Out Reach" but other info on Thailand.

Still say I see Cutbacks for before Trump they came to Udon twice a year, it is now once, this year Nov, and next year we will need to go to KK in Sept or Oct for Udon will be in the Spring, but of course I could be wrong. :lol:

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 9:57 am

mak wrote:
October 13, 2018, 7:24 am
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... vice-fees/
I would imagine the Udon Outreach will occur during the first week of November and the Phuket Outreach during the second week. Thanksgiving being on the fourth week.
Agree that is what it looks like. A wild guess Udon Nov 7th or 9th
The 1st Full week
Email notices in 2 weeks

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 13, 2018, 10:33 am

I was in town Thursday so called into immigration to ask what my options were once the British Embassy stop the confirmation of income letter. I was told only one option, letter from the bank showing money in the bank. There will be no more monthly income option. When she then told me I could also get a 30 day extension I began to suspect she didn't have a clue what I was talking about and that I had wasted my time.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

Need to wait to see what develops between Thai Imm and the embassies.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

[/quote]
Agree, but like I said above somewhere, I didn't receive a notice about a year ago, I think, hard to tell for time flies, even though I am enrolled to receive notices, (STEP?). It might of gotten lost or sent to junk. Was thinking maybe got un-enrolled, but then I started getting them again.

For anyone on Twitter you can follow them there @ACSBKK but not for "Out Reach" but other info on Thailand.

Still say I see Cutbacks for before Trump they came to Udon twice a year, it is now once, this year Nov, and next year we will need to go to KK in Sept or Oct for Udon will be in the Spring, but of course I could be wrong. :lol:
[/quote]

ACS was here in March this year......again in Nov.....twice.
acs-outreach-t13022-195.html

I always try to look at the bright side of things.....ACS has been visiting Udon pretty much twice a year since I came here in 1996. Other embassies? Nada. ACS accepts our sworn statement for the income letter.......other embassies? Not so much.
acs-outreach-t13022-195.html

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » October 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

I hope the outreach program will continue to notarize the income verification letters. No one that I speak to can confirm this. Perhaps, a warden can clarify. This is one issue that concerns me and the other is the ACH changeover to the ICH transmission code April 2019. Hope government pensions will go through BKK Bank in NY with out any problems. I also have my bank send me an ACH transmission to BKK Bank in NY each month. Hope the bank can make the change as well.

If not, I will have to keep the difference of funds in my local Bangkok Bank branch in Udon. My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? And yes, I know the risk of a joint account. However, upon my death without a joint account where will the deposited funds end up? I have no designated beneficiary or, family in the US. Many of my wife's friends being married to a foreign and upon the husband's death, tried to get the funds from the bank and all were unsuccessful because it was not a joint account. Does anyone have experience in the matter? Thank you in advance.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » October 13, 2018, 5:00 pm

".......tried to get the funds from the bank and all were unsuccessful because it was not a joint account. Does anyone have experience in the matter?........"

Well, I have no experience with death. But my wife has her own atm card for my account(only my name) and she has no problem keeping my account clean......

:-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

"My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? "

My last experience with keeping 800k here was that the account could not be joint. But I did have an ATM card with my 800k account. In the event of death, my wife could easily withdraw the funds via ATM over the course of a few days. No need to enter the bank.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 13, 2018, 5:11 pm

Much as I bemoaned paying 2,000 baht plus for the UK Embassy letter, which differed only slightly from year to year(and Immigration insisting I had to produce a fresh letter, although they must have a file on me several inches thick), the letter at least satisfied Immigration easily on one of the items they say I must produce for a marriage visa.
Whilst my pensions are already paid directly into a Thai bank, I’m a little concerned with Galee’s comment stating that an Immigration Officer said it can ONLY be money in the bank (i.e. at least 400,000 lump remaining for three months). As I really live month to month, I don’t ever keep that amount in a current bank account, although I can satisfy the monthly income figure of at least 40,000 baht, which the UK embassy states meets a qualifying condition. But I’m guessing the Officer doesn’t know all the rules.
I appreciate many applicants have a better impression of Udon Immigration these days, but I’m also aware requested fees include a ‘tea money’ element, or a charge for what officially is a free service e.g. moving a visa from an old to new passport.
I know from previous years that Immigration could ‘mess you about’ over what they wanted from the bank e.g the bank statement and a covering letter HAD to be dated the same day when one went to Immigration! I think I’ve still got a sample bank letter, wording acceptable to Immigration, from when I used to apply for a retirement visa. All I’m suggesting is that there is scope for an Officer to be helpful or not! Personally, I intend to be absolutely clear what the qualifying conditions are, exactly what is needed from the bank etc. well before my visa is due for extension.
I’ll just add that I can recall arguing the toss with Immigration when they were at Udon Airport. I’m not exaggerating to say the subject was the meaning of the word ‘or’. Perhaps Galee’s officer hasn’t grasped that yet?

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”