Insulation

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 20, 2005, 1:38 pm

Thanks for that fdimike, they sure sound like a viable option then.

Good luck with the rest of your house :)

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 22, 2005, 6:46 pm

Businessman do I understand you to say that you are using a combination of fiberglass batt insulation with the foil faced plasterboard in the ceiling?
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 24, 2005, 1:56 pm

Businessman do I understand you to say that you are using a combination of fiberglass batt insulation with the foil faced plasterboard in the ceiling?
Indeed yes.The foil backed plasterboard came in the price of the job and i added the extra insulation myself as did not think the foil on its own would be sufficient.

At the time I was worried that material prices would soar over the duration of the project and so fixed my costs there and then by using a fixed price contractor.As it turned out he lost a few quid but those are the risks he is prepared to take.If steel/cement prices fall he is laughing.

The risk you take with a fixed price is that the contractor may try and cut corners to increase his margin.You really must be on site at all times and inspect everything for quality.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by fdimike » August 25, 2005, 7:13 pm

Thanks Businessman.

The builder is suggesting we just use the foil backed plasterboard because adding the fiberglass would be over kill. Personally I'm for overkill and will follow your lead.

My wife and I have been at the job site every day since we began construction. Additionally, the engineer from Home Mart who did the design work also visits quite often to inspect the work. Interestingly enough the builder has also asked her (the engineer) to check out the construction as well.

So far this tem seems to be working out quite well.

Mike
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 26, 2005, 12:21 pm

mike,the extra cost of the fibreglass is nothing as a percentage of the total construction costs and you will not have to experience entering your house after a hot day and feeling like a chicken in an oven.

Thais will say don't worry but they were born in this heat and wear jumpers when the temperature falls below 80 degrees. :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 18, 2006, 3:12 pm

OK, so I know where to purchase the insulation to lay on top of the ceiling panels. Does anyone know of a competent person who can install it for me.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 18, 2006, 4:06 pm

:lol: :lol: Sorry.

You might want to start a new post for this.

I think you just look for local labor, and have someone that understands what is to be done, explain what needs to be done to them, then be there and help when they go wrong.

Or

you can hire some perfessional and he will hire local labor and then be there and help when they go wrong.

End result "you just pay more"!

You might still want to start a new post for this. 8)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Insulation

Post by FrazeeDK » March 18, 2006, 8:17 pm

When I built my small place on the east side I opted for the 1 meter wide rolls of silvered/sandwiched insulation. It is installed on the roof metal frame and the tiles installed on top of the installation. Both Home Mart, Global House and a number of the larger Family run construction stores also sell large rolls of the normal fiberglass insulation that you could put above the plaster board ceiling.
I agree that the roof should have some type of ventilation ducting to let heat escape.. I've seen wind driven exhaust turbines sold in Udon but only seen them installed on warehouses and business buildings, never homes. Is anybody out there using some type of vent cap or exhaust turbine on their houses???
Is the "super-block" material the brown blocks about 25cm thick I've seen some houses built from??? I've read a few articles in the Bangkok Post about them that are positive. All the articles outlined the cultural resistance to using them by builders accustomed to brick or concrete blocks.
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”