Juice and Pills Can Be a Deadly Mix

Thailand news, views and comments
DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Juice and Pills Can Be a Deadly Mix

Post by DuiDui49 » June 8, 2017, 2:50 pm

"peed kills, especially when it comes to pills. Everyone is in such a hurry these days that it’s rare for physicians to provide detailed instructions about how to take prescribed medicine.

Pharmacists are overwhelmed, so they hardly ever interact directly with patients to give them advice. Pharmacy technicians may be good at counting pills and ringing up bills, but they don’t have the training to counsel people about food and drug interactions.

Patients are also pressed for time. Few people take the time to read instructions that might be provided with a prescription or over-the-counter medicine. But how you swallow your medicine matters.

Food and Drug Interactions

Do you take your pills at breakfast? If you wash them down with orange or apple juice, drink a cup of tea or coffee or eat yogurt or bran cereal, you could be reducing the effectiveness of certain medications.

People taking alendronate (Fosamax) for osteoporosis, for example, have been drilled that the pills must be taken on an empty stomach at least half an hour before the first cup of coffee or tea (with tap water, not fancy mineral water). Otherwise, you might as well throw the pill away, as it will not be absorbed adequately.

Taking the blood pressure pill aliskiren (Tekturna) with apple juice dramatically decreases the amount of medicine that gets into the blood stream. Coffee or tea can reduce the absorption of the thyroid hormone levothyroxine (Levoxyl, Synthroid, etc). So can mineral supplements like calcium or iron found in many multivitamins.

When doctors prescribe warfarin (Coumadin) for a blood clot in the leg or the lung, they may warn their patients to go easy on green vegetables. Broccoli, cabbage, salad and spinach are all rich in vitamin K that could counteract the anticoagulant activity of warfarin.

Far more controversial, however, is the cranberry-Coumadin interaction. One study found no interaction between warfarin and cranberry juice (British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, July, 2010).

There are, however, numerous case reports in the medical literature describing an increased bleeding risk when people on warfarin also consume cranberry sauce or juice. One patient had a dramatic rise in the blood thinning effect (INR) after starting to drink cranberry juice. He died six weeks later of a hemorrhage (BMJ, Dec. 20, 2003).

One reader recently shared this experience: “My husband’s INR increased one year around Thanksgiving, when we had cranberry sauce several days in a row. He also reacted one spring after we had rhubarb sauce several days running.”

Dozens of drugs interact with grapefruit, but warnings are not always prominent. Some of the most popular include cholesterol-lowering meds such as atorvastatin, lovastatin and simvastatin. The powerful heart drugs amiodarone and dronedarone (Multaq) become more dangerous with grapefruit on board.

Since foods and beverages can have a profound impact on many of the medicines you take, it is worth spending a few minutes to quiz your doctor and pharmacist about all potential food and drug interactions. Don’t be in such a hurry that you put your health at risk."

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Juice and Pills Can Be a Deadly Mix

Post by wazza » June 8, 2017, 3:14 pm

Interesting

Could you please quote your source.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 8, 2017, 3:57 pm

< Dozens of drugs interact with grapefruit, but warnings are not always prominent. Some of the most popular include cholesterol-lowering meds such as atorvastatin, lovastatin and simvastatin. The powerful heart drugs amiodarone and dronedarone (Multaq) become more dangerous with grapefruit on board.
>>

Yes, i read about this and my cardiologist said << eating - consuming a reasonable amount per day ( a glass per day >> has no effect, no interaction with the high blood pressure. No later than last week my friend had an appointment with the cardiologist at the military hospital and he asked a similar question about DURIAN ( the fruit ).

The cardilogist response was << don t eat a complete fruit ( durian ) at once, limit yourself to one or 2 pockets / lobes of durian per day and don t worry you will be fine.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 8, 2017, 4:17 pm

Durian has 2 approaches

Chinese Medicine - can die from drinking whisky etc

Western Medicine - http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/d ... -the-fruit

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 8, 2017, 4:26 pm

wazza wrote:Interesting

Looks like a Heart Attack to me wazz, although I'm no expert ...... https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/98 ... h-husband/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 8, 2017, 4:37 pm

ahh yeah

5 Paracetamol, wont cause death, unless an analphylatic reaction occurs

To die from Paracetamol , its approx 1 gram per Kg body weight, Thats 2 x 500 mg tablets per KG, say he is 80kg , thats 160 tablets needed to cause death and its from liver failure , after 3 days or so, having got a nasty yellow jaundice, and priority on a liver transplant.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 8, 2017, 4:54 pm

Here you go my friend:

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/07 ... eadly-mix/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 8, 2017, 7:54 pm

Thai Visa...
& Note Dui this has NOTHING to do with Udon - where you posted it.
A Surin wife told police she believed that five paracetamol and a glass of orange juice killed her healthy British husband.
I have attempted to subtly tell you before about posting stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Udon in the Udon section of the Forum.
I have, again, moved this one, but it will be the last.
Either post where the thread is appropriate or expect it to be deleted without out notice!!

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » June 8, 2017, 9:27 pm

I have to take Warfarin on a daily basis and grapefruit is a big no no.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » June 8, 2017, 10:08 pm

Grapefruit triggered my heart attack and i wasn't on any medication.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 9, 2017, 6:48 am

God morning BH !

Sorry to say but i was not aware of any "wrong doing/posting(s) :oops: :oops: My selective memory..Try not to let i happen again sir..;-)

Have a good day BH..:-)

BobHelm wrote:

Thai Visa...
& Note Dui this has NOTHING to do with Udon - where you posted it.
A Surin wife told police she believed that five paracetamol and a glass of orange juice killed her healthy British husband.
I have attempted to subtly tell you before about posting stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Udon in the Udon section of the Forum.
I have, again, moved this one, but it will be the last.
Either post where the thread is appropriate or expect it to be deleted without out notice!!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 9, 2017, 7:12 am

What's your comment about Bob Helm? Please explain 'deleted without notice', you alone decide what members read uhh?

An interesting topic has been raised that is relevant to every living human whether in Udon or anywhere.

A damn site more interesting than 90% of the rubbish posted.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 9, 2017, 7:15 am

No FB the rules that everyone (including you) signed up to abide by say...
1. Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting. Users consistently posting to the wrong forum may be given a warning (see policing below).
Pretty simple really!!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 9, 2017, 7:20 am

God morning FB !

Thanks for your input.I was suprised to say the least when i saw that BH didn't see it the way me /you see it,as an important info given so maybe we can be aware what's going on when maybe mixing in this case not alkhol,but Juices.
Awarness is the keyword here..and i will wait for BH:s answer were this post should have been posted.

Stay safe and have an awasome day everyone...:-)

fatbob wrote:What's your comment about Bob Helm? Please explain 'deleted without notice', you alone decide what members read uhh?

An interesting topic has been raised that is relevant to every living human whether in Udon or anywhere.

A damn site more interesting than 90% of the rubbish posted.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 9, 2017, 7:24 am

Well I drink a glass of pomelo (grapefruit family) juice every morning when I take my medication for blood pressure and prostrate enlargement, doesn't seem to diminish the effect of either, but of course , how can you tell, only by being still alive and kicking, whether you are more so or less because of the juice, maybe time will tell, will post on my 100th birthday if I,m still here, then you can decide .In my experience you can find on line these days a survey for or against nearly everything you do written by a self styled expert , makes me wonder how anyone survived the tribulations of life before the internet .Never understand why so many people read something then preach it like its gospel to others . get on with life learn from experience like our mothers and fathers did .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 9, 2017, 7:29 am

I have no feelings either way about the usefulness, or otherwise, of the topic. However I do think that it is extremely unlikely that the case quoted - that an expat died as a result of eating 5 paracetamol combined with fruit juice - is unlikely in the extreme..

My objection to you DuiDui49 is where you posted it.
You still appear to be unable to grasp that the Forum is divided into sections so that readers can concentrate on what is of interest to them!!
Please ensure, in future, that you post in the area appropriate for the subject matter..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 9, 2017, 7:35 am

This topic would be posted in the 'General Topic' section Bob Helm?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 9, 2017, 7:36 am

Isn't that up to each individual/reader to make and check and hopefully be moore "safe"And i don't preach,i only give you some info..up to the reader to make their decision how to use my info posted.And maybe we don't have to learn by doing "costly"misstakes like maybe our Fathers and Mothers did..not everything was better before Internet hit us..me think.

Have a good day sir..:-)
trubrit wrote:Well I drink a glass of pomelo (grapefruit family) juice every morning when I take my medication for blood pressure and prostrate enlargement, doesn't seem to diminish the effect of either, but of course , how can you tell, only by being still alive and kicking, whether you are more so or less because of the juice, maybe time will tell, will post on my 100th birthday if I,m still here, then you can decide .In my experience you can find on line these days a survey for or against nearly everything you do written by a self styled expert , makes me wonder how anyone survived the tribulations of life before the internet .Never understand why so many people read something then preach it like its gospel to others . get on with life learn from experience like our mothers and fathers did .

trubrit wrote:Well I drink a glass of pomelo (grapefruit family) juice every morning when I take my medication for blood pressure and prostrate enlargement, doesn't seem to diminish the effect of either, but of course , how can you tell, only by being still alive and kicking, whether you are more so or less because of the juice, maybe time will tell, will post on my 100th birthday if I,m still here, then you can decide .In my experience you can find on line these days a survey for or against nearly everything you do written by a self styled expert , makes me wonder how anyone survived the tribulations of life before the internet .Never understand why so many people read something then preach it like its gospel to others . get on with life learn from experience like our mothers and fathers did .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 9, 2017, 7:55 am

fatbob wrote:This topic would be posted in the 'General Topic' section Bob Helm?
Where fatbob?? I cannot see any such section of the Forum.. maybe you can enlighten us all!!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 9, 2017, 7:58 am

BobHelm wrote:
fatbob wrote:This topic would be posted in the 'General Topic' section Bob Helm?
Where fatbob?? I cannot see any such section of the Forum.. maybe you can enlighten us all!!
Don't be a smart ar-e, where should this be posted, a straight forward question.

Return to “Thailand News”