LOOKING FOR FINE, HARDWOOD FURNITURE

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
runrunshaw
udonmap.com

LOOKING FOR FINE, HARDWOOD FURNITURE

Post by runrunshaw » July 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Anyone know of a shop in Udon that sells finely-crafted hardwood furniture, made in a SE Asian style? I like some of the old styles from Lao and Cambodia.

I'm not talking about the open-air shops you see all over the place selling the varnished cheap stuff from soft woods. And I'm not interested in the traditional Chinese-style items.

There used to be a place on the Highway to Nong Kai--maybe 6 or 7 KM from the Ring Road that sold nice stuff made out of teak, but that shop is gone. Have attached a photo to show the kind of furniture I'm looking for, though I'm not saying it has to look exactly like this.

Yes, I know I can go to Ta Bo or Vientiane or Bangkok to find what I want, that's why I'm asking if there might be a shop here in town that I'm unaware of.
Thanks.
Attachments
furniture.jpg

The best gadget is the human brain.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: LOOKING FOR FINE, HARDWOOD FURNITURE

Post by vincemunday » July 15, 2018, 9:59 am

There’s a travelling market that sets up in the centre of town every now and again on Tongseamuang, they sell the cheapo wooden stuff but among the chaff is the real deal, I found the market in Khon Kaen on the university showground was much better than Udon’s, if you can wait it might be worth taking a look.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 15, 2018, 10:41 am

Runrun
There is a shop that handles hardwood furniture It is located between Big C and the Wholesale food Market on the same side of the road I cant give you the name right now as the wife is out. It is a Large store handling beds, furniture and Lazyboy recliners etc

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 15, 2018, 11:46 am

Doodoo has the place...the quality items are made by a company called trees.yes trees.they hang their labels off the furniture.not cheap but they are up for a haggle.nice solid well made and the deliver and build it.a full bedroom set cost around 100,000b.best desks I've seen are next to bo bey in the Chinese shop and behind that one is another shop that sells the trees range.its down the side of the massive tyre shop before global turn in.ive stuck granite tops on most things to give them a lifetime of easy clean and no damage.(desks and tables) one of my pet hates is a nice top with cup rings on it.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: LOOKING FOR FINE FURNITURE

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 15, 2018, 12:00 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
July 15, 2018, 9:36 am

I'm not talking about the open-air shops you see all over the place selling the varnished cheap stuff from soft woods. And I'm not interested in the traditional Chinese-style items.
Just one point, yes they are cheap, yes they are varnished, sometimes with live insect infestations, yes the wood is often not properly seasoned so it will crack. But it is almost never soft wood as that is too expensive to use for crapy furniture. There is virtually no supply of coniferous timber anywhere close(softwood), all tropical native species are deciduous (hardwood)

So all the cheap stuff is made from hardwood, and almost any future you buy made in Thailand (made from wood not wood products) (excluding Ikea) will be hardwood.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 15, 2018, 12:00 pm
runrunshaw wrote:
July 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Just one point, yes they are cheap, yes they are varnished, sometimes with live insect infestations, yes the wood is often not properly seasoned so it will crack. But it is almost never soft wood as that is too expensive to use for crapy furniture. There is virtually no supply of coniferous timber anywhere close(softwood), all tropical native species are deciduous (hardwood)

So all the cheap stuff is made from hardwood, and almost any future you buy made in Thailand (made from wood not wood products) (excluding Ikea) will be hardwood.
Thanks for the clarification. I was surprised to learn that some hardwoods are actually "softer" than certain softwoods. It's a fascinating field, and tropical woods are extremely interesting.

Seven or eight years ago I bought a cheap varnished wood dining set and I have to admit it has help up very well. As my children get older and less destructive, I've been upgrading our furniture. Certain hardwoods are simply beautiful, when finished.

Doodoo -- I'll check out that shop.

Vincemunday -- thanks for the tip

tonytuy2005
udonmap.com

Post by tonytuy2005 » July 15, 2018, 2:57 pm

Try at the big store inside parking opposite BOOBAI....after Global House on the ring goad...probably they can have somethings you need...i don't know the name shop ...but is the only one...

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » July 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

its pretty simple. you get what you pay for

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 15, 2018, 9:17 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
July 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I was surprised to learn that some hardwoods are actually "softer" than certain softwoods. It's a fascinating field, and tropical woods are extremely interesting.

Seven or eight years ago I bought a cheap varnished wood dining set and I have to admit it has help up very well. As my children get older and less destructive, I've been upgrading our furniture. Certain hardwoods are simply beautiful, when finished.
How well the future holds up is primary related to the quality of the joints. Before you buy do make sure that it is comfortable to sit on. The standard cheap straight back and flat seat is incredibly uncomfortable
Something like this, shaped seat, curved and slanted back, is vastly better
IMG_1903-3.jpeg
Around 5,000 Baht
Cushions can help but can't defeat geometry.

Again FWIW the chairs with finish will change like this.
IMG_3632.JPG

FWIF the softest wood Balsa which has a Janka rating of 70 lbf (310 N) is a hardwood,
Yew has a rating of 1,520 lbf (6,760 N) and is a softwood
Bamboo which isn't a wood but a grass is 1,410 lbf (6,270 N).
The hardest wood is the Australian Buloke which has a Janka rating of 5,060 lbf (22,500 N)
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 16, 2018, 7:27 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
July 15, 2018, 11:46 am
Doodoo has the place...the quality items are made by a company called trees.yes trees.they hang their labels off the furniture.not cheap but they are up for a haggle.nice solid well made and the deliver and build it.a full bedroom set cost around 100,000b.best desks I've seen are next to bo bey in the Chinese shop and behind that one is another shop that sells the trees range.its down the side of the massive tyre shop before global turn in.ive stuck granite tops on most things to give them a lifetime of easy clean and no damage.(desks and tables) one of my pet hates is a nice top with cup rings on it.
Marcosteffano, Thanks for the info. I'll check out those shops this week.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 17, 2018, 7:28 pm

We lived in Vientiane for 5 years.. Our landlord also owned and ran K+B Furniture.. Started small back in the late 90's and now is quite big.. Teakwood, Rosewood, custom hardwood furniture of all types. Big showroom at his factory on the east side of town.. Mr. Kongmala and his wife Bic (K+B).. His children all graduated from Canadian colleges and speak good English.. Prices naturally are much higher than they were when I first saw the factory back in 2002... Pretty sure they could arrange shipment of the furniture from Vientiane to Udon. https://www.facebook.com/KB-Furniture-L ... 788382882/

located here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Ele ... 02.6275423
Dave

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 18, 2018, 5:58 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
July 17, 2018, 7:28 pm
We lived in Vientiane for 5 years.. Our landlord also owned and ran K+B Furniture.. Started small back in the late 90's and now is quite big.. Teakwood, Rosewood, custom hardwood furniture of all types. Big showroom at his factory on the east side of town.. Mr. Kongmala and his wife Bic (K+B).. His children all graduated from Canadian colleges and speak good English.. Prices naturally are much higher than they were when I first saw the factory back in 2002... Pretty sure they could arrange shipment of the furniture from Vientiane to Udon. https://www.facebook.com/KB-Furniture-L ... 788382882/

Thanks for the info. I checked them out online a few weeks ago and kept some photos I lifted from their website. Some very nice furniture. I'll contact them.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 18, 2018, 7:31 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

We've been to every shop mentioned so far in this topic and several that weren't. Ordered some teak shelving from a wooden furniture factory on the Ring Road; bought two chairs and an ottoman from the large furniture store just east of the traffic light at the corner of the Ring Road and Phon Phisa Road--drove by the place a thousand times but never went in till now. Great customer service, free delivery, and good discounts given without asking.

Also got two end tables from one of the shops that sells used items from Japan--this one is on the highway to Nong Kai. A little pricey, even after a discount, but they were uniquely pan-Asian--not Japanese--in design, in great condition, and had the exact color wood stain I was looking for.

Still searching for two more chairs and the perfect coffee table--so we might head up to Tha Bo or possibly order from KB in Laos.

The new chair in the photo below is incredibly comfortable.
Attachments
umap.jpg

jeebeeg
udonmap.com

Post by jeebeeg » July 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Following all of this with interest, I would like to ask you if you can specify the location of the wood furniture factory on the ringroad, and of the shop on the highway to Nong Khai.
Thanks.
Jeebeeg

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 22, 2018, 7:10 pm

I think you should be careful with this furniture because the wood may not have been dried properly despite what you may have been told by the salesperson. Placing it in an air con environment may lead to warping/splitting especially at the joints. This is especially true for solid hardwood furniture. I believe there's only 1 lumber yard in this area which has an oven to dry wood and it's located on the highway to Nong Bua Lamphu approximately 20kms from Udon.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

jeebeeg wrote:
July 22, 2018, 7:36 am
Following all of this with interest, I would like to ask you if you can specify the location of the wood furniture factory on the ringroad, and of the shop on the highway to Nong Khai.
Thanks.
Jeebeeg
The wood furniture factory on the Ring Road is directly across from the New 9D Sports Hotel, about 300 meters or so north of the traffic light at Phon Phisa Road.

Standby for bearings to the shop on the Nong Kai highway.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 2565 times

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

fdimike wrote:
July 22, 2018, 7:10 pm
I think you should be careful with this furniture because the wood may not have been dried properly despite what you may have been told by the salesperson. Placing it in an air con environment may lead to warping/splitting especially at the joints. This is especially true for solid hardwood furniture. I believe there's only 1 lumber yard in this area which has an oven to dry wood and it's located on the highway to Nong Bua Lamphu approximately 20kms from Udon.
Thanks for the advice; it pays to be careful. The teak shelving I'm getting from the furniture factory is not going into an air-con environment. Years ago, I saw splitting on expensive new teak chairs that were still on an air-conditioned showroom floor!

Personally, I've had no issues with my teak furniture that went into air con because I dealt with high-end furniture makers up in Tha Bo who came highly recommended and deliver a quality product. There was a long wait for delivery, and it was due to the time needed to dry out the wood since I was having stuff custom-made.

So yes, for sure, the wood needs to be dried first. For inexpensive, already finished items, I'm more willing to take a chance.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » July 22, 2018, 9:33 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 15, 2018, 9:17 pm
runrunshaw wrote:
July 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

How well the future holds up is primary related to the quality of the joints. Before you buy do make sure that it is comfortable to sit on. The standard cheap straight back and flat seat is incredibly uncomfortable
Something like this, shaped seat, curved and slanted back, is vastly better
IMG_1903-3.jpeg

Cushions can help but can't defeat geometry.

Again FWIW the chairs with finish will change like this.
IMG_3632.JPG

FWIF the softest wood Balsa which has a Janka rating of 70 lbf (310 N) is a hardwood,
Yew has a rating of 1,520 lbf (6,760 N) and is a softwood
Bamboo which isn't a wood but a grass is 1,410 lbf (6,270 N).
The hardest wood is the Australian Buloke which has a Janka rating of 5,060 lbf (22,500 N)
sometimewoodworker,

Just curious, did you build the chairs in the photos you posted?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2018, 10:51 pm

fdimike wrote:
July 22, 2018, 7:10 pm
Kiln drying wood is not a way to avoid splitting of joints. Air dried wood is perfectly able to be made into furniture that does not breakdown,split or warp, it's been done for hundreds of years, I happen to have an item built around 1830 it has shown no sign of problems in my AC room

The way to avoid problems with furniture is to build it correctly, to allow for seasonal changes.

Air dried wood has different colours in some species and is better for bent construction.

After the species the thing that will affect wood movement most is if It has been flatsawn or quartersawn, and FWIW teak is very stable

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 22, 2018, 10:55 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
July 22, 2018, 9:33 pm

sometimewoodworker,

Just curious, did you build the chairs in the photos you posted?
No, I don't do chairs they are too repetitive for me.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”