Makro

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 3436
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Makro

Post by tamada » November 5, 2017, 5:30 am

minimiglia wrote:
November 4, 2017, 9:14 am
I will never eat any meat from Makro, too iffy, Tops does excellent meat.
Have you ever actually bought any meat products at makro that indeed did turn out to be iffy... or is it just the smell?



minimiglia
udonmap.com
Posts: 325
Joined: January 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: Makro

Post by minimiglia » November 5, 2017, 6:20 am

If it smells bad, you eat it?? Please??

User avatar
Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor
Posts: 1107
Joined: November 8, 2009, 11:32 am

Re: Makro

Post by Little Italian Udon » November 5, 2017, 7:51 am

I can't buy salmon at makro anymore, it smell no good.at Top is perfect.

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Makro

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 1:42 pm

l.italianrestaurant wrote:
November 5, 2017, 7:51 am
I can't buy salmon at makro anymore, it smell no good.at Top is perfect.
I think from memory the fresh salmon arrives on Mondays. Ask the staff to get them from their chillers, not the ones on display.

User avatar
jimjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 590
Joined: July 5, 2012, 12:09 am

Re: Makro

Post by jimjay » November 5, 2017, 3:00 pm

Is all the salmon everywhere farm raised.

I see at Tops they claim it's Norwegian but I have my doubts, it's simply too easy to cheat here.

Anyone know for sure?

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11149
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Makro

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2017, 3:12 pm

Would they be Norwegian if they imported a box with a few hundred thousand eggs from Norway?

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18404
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Makro

Post by BobHelm » November 5, 2017, 3:18 pm

Norway is the largest producer of farmed salmon in the world, so I imagine that the answer to your question is yes it is farmed & yes it is from Norway.. :D

They certainly do a professional job on filleting the salmon in Tops as can be seen early in the morning there..

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Makro

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 4:28 pm

Kiwi and Tasmanian Salmon ( farmed for sure ) is also available at Tops,

The Noggie Salmon is less coloured than the Tasmanian fish, BUT

It turns out after a huge 4 Corners Report ( BBC call it Panorama ? ) in Oz, the food pellets are chemically treated to give the Salmon that orange colour.

They all do it, but some pellets are natural coloured ingredients , others artificially / chemically charged.

No idea about the local Thai Salmon , im sure its just a repackaged jobbie, or packed under licence etc

User avatar
trubrit
udonmap.com
Posts: 6158
Joined: March 16, 2008, 12:30 pm
Location: Having a good time .

Re: Makro

Post by trubrit » November 5, 2017, 5:40 pm

The thing that always worries me about buying fresh meat and fish at Makro is watching the locals handling it with their bare hands, sometimes buying it but more often putting it back for someone else to buy . Disgusting habit and despite suggesting to management several times that they put a visual sign like a hand crossed out to show not to do it, nothing has been done. For that reason alone I won't buy my meats there .Give me Tops anyday for pork and chicken always fresh, never frozen. I don't buy beef there as although both local and imported look good they are a bit pricey compared to the Thai /French butcher where I go .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11149
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Makro

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2017, 6:21 pm

trubrit wrote:
November 5, 2017, 5:40 pm
The thing that always worries me about buying fresh meat and fish at Makro is watching the locals handling it with their bare hands, sometimes buying it but more often putting it back for someone else to buy . Disgusting habit and despite suggesting to management several times that they put a visual sign like a hand crossed out to show not to do it, nothing has been done. For that reason alone I won't buy my meats there .Give me Tops anyday for pork and chicken always fresh, never frozen. I don't buy beef there as although both local and imported look good they are a bit pricey compared to the Thai /French butcher where I go .
Agreed trubrit, it is a bit offputting as is the "free for all" meat counter at Tesco ..... I much prefer all the hygienic places where the staff do their unhygienic meat handling out of site of the public like in UK :-$

I'm sure that plenty of dirty hands get onto the meat between the slaughterhouse the meat market (Smithfield etc), the local market or shop storeroom and the counter where it is shown all nice and neatly packaged :-&

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 8975
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Makro

Post by parrot » November 5, 2017, 6:52 pm

Food for thought:
Eat out? The meat you eat there may well be from Makro, handled by a handful of people without gloves before it's delivered to your plate.

To a large extent I've given up worrying about the cleanliness issue here. I know that probably 99% of Thai restaurants don't wash dishes/utensils/worker hands in hot water. The rag that's used to clean your table probably hasn't been disinfected today....or yesterday.....or ever. The eggs we buy from the market have not been refrigerated. The chicken in Tops looks clean enough, but I doubt it'd pass the necessary tests back in the US. God only knows where the hands of our butcher in Nongwahsaw have been before handling our beef tenderloin. I prefer to not think about where that tenderloin was before it reached the market. I'm not sure the veggies/fruits we buy from China (lots and lots) would pass the necessary pesticide tests back in the US. Nor the fruits/veggies we buy from Thailand. We don't have running hot water at our kitchen sink.......so it's a wonder we've survived these 21 years.
All that said, I know where I can get a good meal without complications. Prepared food at the market, many roadside stalls, and ice-cream from the well-dressed lady with an umbrella over her head ------ I'll pass.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 839
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Makro

Post by Doodoo » November 5, 2017, 7:42 pm

Man OH man
You had better remember the, Old Days as they say in the 50's 60' 70's and so on when chicken would hang in the windows (no refrigeration) of the LOCAL Butcher along with sawdust and or chips on the floor to capture the guts and blood. HOT WATER once a day or once a week for some
IN the UK Canada etc I cant speak for others!!!!
How we have become so CLEAN and then this presents other problems to the human race with diseases and ????

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 790
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Makro

Post by Marcosteffano » November 5, 2017, 8:30 pm

parrot wrote:
November 5, 2017, 6:52 pm
Food for thought:
Eat out? The meat you eat there may well be from Makro, handled by a handful of people without gloves before it's delivered to your plate.

To a large extent I've given up worrying about the cleanliness issue here. I know that probably 99% of Thai restaurants don't wash dishes/utensils/worker hands in hot water. The rag that's used to clean your table probably hasn't been disinfected today....or yesterday.....or ever. The eggs we buy from the market have not been refrigerated. The chicken in Tops looks clean enough, but I doubt it'd pass the necessary tests back in the US. God only knows where the hands of our butcher in Nongwahsaw have been before handling our beef tenderloin. I prefer to not think about where that tenderloin was before it reached the market. I'm not sure the veggies/fruits we buy from China (lots and lots) would pass the necessary pesticide tests back in the US. Nor the fruits/veggies we buy from Thailand. We don't have running hot water at our kitchen sink.......so it's a wonder we've survived these 21 years.
All that said, I know where I can get a good meal without complications. Prepared food at the market, many roadside stalls, and ice-cream from the well-dressed lady with an umbrella over her head ------ I'll pass.
Yes I dread to think about the hygiene of food out here.never heard of anyone being prosecuted for hygiene.also the thought of what pesticides have been used and used and used again on fruit and veg.its all unregulated and you can buy some really nasty pesticides off the shelf out here,some of which are banned in the western world.i even read that they banned asbestos manufacturing here but lifted the ban.im a fan of dettol and add a capful to mr muscle and clean the work surface down before I cook.thais wipe down with a oily festering rag and if it looks clean,job done.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 790
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Makro

Post by Marcosteffano » November 5, 2017, 8:41 pm

A tip on pestacides used on fruit and veg.either wash them thoroughly with water but better still peel them.this will remove most of it but not where systemic pesticides have been used.these are absorbed into the fruit and veg and can't be removed.systemic pesticides are the nasty ones I mentioned earlier.i use neem oil that is organic and works ok but I don't know if you can get it here.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 484
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Makro

Post by AlexO » November 5, 2017, 9:20 pm

Trubrit, sorry mate your wrong about Tops chicken and pork being fresh. It might be defrosted when you see it at the retail area but its all frozen when delivered to Tops. I sometime buy the whole bags of frozen meats and get them home ASAP so not defrosted and dont need to refreeze them.
Missus will only buy meats from Tops or Tesco, she says Makro is not fresh.

mac1966
udonmap.com
Posts: 265
Joined: May 28, 2012, 5:59 pm

Re: Makro

Post by mac1966 » November 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

I would also stay clear of ice cream street sellers. A chap in Ubon had a week in hospital due to his street bought ice cream


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Makro

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 9:25 pm

AlexO wrote:
November 5, 2017, 9:20 pm
Trubrit, sorry mate your wrong about Tops/ MAKRO chicken and pork being fresh. It might be defrosted when you see it at the retail area but its all frozen when delivered to Tops / MAKRO . I sometime buy the whole bags of frozen meats and get them home ASAP so not defrosted and dont need to refreeze them.
Missus will only buy meats from Tops or Tesco, she says Makro is not fresh.
Dont you mean Makro when I highlighted it ???

Agree see Makro with partially frozen chicken pieces bought out hourly in large bags and placed on top of the others,

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 839
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Makro

Post by Doodoo » November 6, 2017, 6:14 am

Wazza
Can you ask your Missus to define "Fresh" Reason I ask is that the wife also says Fresh but she means it has been killed that day or day before and then offered for sale It hasn't been hung as we do back home

User avatar
kopkei
udonmap.com
Posts: 1345
Joined: August 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Re: Makro

Post by kopkei » November 6, 2017, 7:32 am

about frozen things in any shop , how do you expect they can keep the food items cool enough to withstand the hot temperatures here ?, of course most of it is frozen ....also in the expensive shops like tops/villa ... ;)

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8995
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: Makro

Post by wazza » November 6, 2017, 8:57 am

Fresh - hasnt been frozen

Freshly Frozen- still thawing or recently thawed.

Frozen

Post Reply

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”