No 1 class car insurance .

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8999
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by wazza » November 7, 2017, 10:44 am

Brian

I visited a friend in Feb. Again in oct. He reversed into my new car in oct. Didnt know what was going on.

Dramatic changes sadly. But he thinks he is fully aware. His friends have taken the car off him now. 3 small bumps in a soi.

They see him daily. And dont see the subtle down hill spiral of dementia etc.

The guy doesnt either.

If your family or friends say its time to stop driving. They are probably the best judge....

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by Brian Davis » November 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the warning, Wazza. Sounds a little like being drunk - you think you're ok and capable, everyone else knows you're not.
My memory certainly seems to be going OR whatever someone is rabbiting on about isn't that interesting. My wife is doing a bit more driving, but not ready for the Tesco intersection yet! In the meantime, suggest readers give a white B-RV lots of room. ;)

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 3112
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by tamada » November 9, 2017, 7:32 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 7, 2017, 5:31 pm
Thanks for the warning, Wazza. Sounds a little like being drunk - you think you're ok and capable, everyone else knows you're not.
My memory certainly seems to be going OR whatever someone is rabbiting on about isn't that interesting. My wife is doing a bit more driving, but not ready for the Tesco intersection yet! In the meantime, suggest readers give a white B-RV lots of room. ;)
Get those big, bright, neon-colored fuzzy dice dangling from your rear-view mirror Brian. Then we can see you coming up behind us and we can sharply pull over a couple of lanes.

For anyone that is paying attention, my big, bright, neon-colored fuzzy dice are orange.

...I think.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 10847
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by stattointhailand » November 10, 2017, 1:17 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 7, 2017, 10:32 am
"Being less competent behind the wheel as one gets older may be an unwelcome reminder of the reality of old age but if one considers that there may be a higher likelihood of being involved in (or even causing) an accident......."

Tongue in cheek here, but as a nearing 70 year old, I sure hope I exercise more ability, more awareness, more care, more common sense than the majority of the locals! :-k
Don't forget to book your (aged 70) UK driving test :lol:

User avatar
JimboPSM
udonmap.com
Posts: 3567
Joined: July 4, 2005, 3:23 pm
Location: Isle of Man / Bangkok / Udon Thani

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by JimboPSM » November 10, 2017, 2:45 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 10, 2017, 1:17 pm
Brian Davis wrote:
November 7, 2017, 10:32 am
"Being less competent behind the wheel as one gets older may be an unwelcome reminder of the reality of old age but if one considers that there may be a higher likelihood of being involved in (or even causing) an accident......."

Tongue in cheek here, but as a nearing 70 year old, I sure hope I exercise more ability, more awareness, more care, more common sense than the majority of the locals! :-k
Don't forget to book your (aged 70) UK driving test :lol:
One of the biggest increases in accidents for drivers as they get less young comes from an increasing impairment of night vision.

This extract from “All About Vision” gives some insight into the problems of ageing and night driving.
Why Is Aging And Night Driving A Problem?

As we age, our eyes usually begin to fail long before we notice it. For example:

• Pupils shrink and don't dilate as much in the dark as we age, reducing the amount of light entering the eye. Various reports indicate that the retina of an 80-year-old receives far less light than the retina of a 20-year-old. This can make older drivers function as though they are wearing dark sunglasses at night. To get the maximum amount of light into the eye without distracting lens reflections, older drivers should have anti-reflective coating applied to their eyeglasses for the best night vision possible.

• The aging cornea and lens in the eye become less clear as we age, causing light to scatter inside the eye, which increases glare. These changes also reduce contrast sensitivity — the ability to discern subtle differences in brightness — making it harder to see objects on the roadway at night.

• An older person may test well in the eye doctor's office but still struggle to focus on the road at night, where lighting is poor and more complex visual tasks are required. According to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration, advancing years decrease our ability to see stationary and moving objects, including cars or pedestrians that might cross the road in front of us. Our ability to resist glare and see reflective road signs and markings also decreases with age.

• Many people's eyes have optical imperfections called higher-order aberrations that can't be corrected with eyeglasses or contact lenses. These aberrations increase with age and reduce vision, especially when the pupil dilates at night.

• Age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy or cataracts affect 33 percent of all people age 40 and older — the same percentage who have nearsightedness, farsightedness and other refractive errors, according to The Vision Council. So even if you are lucky enough not to have a refractive error, you still are at significant risk of developing other common diseases affecting older eyes.

Full article: http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/night-driving.htm
It is interesting to note that, according to the full article, the AMA views the increasingly large number of senior drivers to be a public health issue, because of age-related declines in vision, cognition and motor function.

This suggests that quite a large number of members of this forum, including myself, are increasingly becoming a public health issue :shock: :oops: :yikes:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism (and economic suicide)

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8999
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by wazza » November 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

How to decrease your exposure to this slightly perhaps

Make sure the Window tinting / film on your front windows of your vehicle is no more than say 40 % at the time of application, if you travel at night.

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by Brian Davis » August 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Just a heads up here.
I can be a real pain in the arse, if I think I've been wronged. But it's paid off this time.
Driving the car to my son's school on the Phen to highway road, I was clobbered by a pickup attempting to overtake a tuk tuk. I will never understand what this other driver's thinking, or lack of, was. It seems he made no allowance whatsoever for me coming the other way! Fortunately, I avoided head on contact, else damage to me and the car would have been a lot more serious. Insurances turned up quite quickly and I was pleased he was honest to accept full liability for the crash. Surprise! So my car has been in Honda for nearly a month, repair completed hopefully this Saturday.
BUT I needed a hire car. From posts here, I thought I was going to be out of pocket through no fault of my own. I was told I must approach the other driver's insurance company for compensation, which I did, to be told I would only receive a percentage of my hire car costs, no way full reimbursement. If I was using the car for my work (I don't) the percentage was likely to be higher.
Anyway, I wrote to the Chairman of Thanachart Insurance giving the 'saga'. I precis here, but I explained a car was essential to me (Location, getting son to school etc.), although not for business and that it was blatantly unfair that I should not be compensated in full for the hire car costs, being completely innocent in the accident, caused by one of his policy holders.
Success! I've been promised the reimbursement of rental costs in full. Even my wife is quite quiet, normally telling me not to bother. :lol: Nice to have the occasional victory here.
Incidentally, my wife did make reference to some kind of Government office (maybe Consumer Protection Board?) which can take this kind of thing up for you.
Oh, watch out for anyone dealing with your claim. My wife and I are suspicious, as the agent asked if we'd accept less(5,000 baht less), that he'll attempt to skim off something for himself in sending off documentation to Head Office.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 3112
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by tamada » August 16, 2018, 11:54 am

Brian Davis wrote:
August 16, 2018, 10:44 am
Just a heads up here.
I can be a real pain in the arse, if I think I've been wronged. But it's paid off this time.
Driving the car to my son's school on the Phen to highway road, I was clobbered by a pickup attempting to overtake a tuk tuk. I will never understand what this other driver's thinking, or lack of, was. It seems he made no allowance whatsoever for me coming the other way! Fortunately, I avoided head on contact, else damage to me and the car would have been a lot more serious. Insurances turned up quite quickly and I was pleased he was honest to accept full liability for the crash. Surprise! So my car has been in Honda for nearly a month, repair completed hopefully this Saturday.
BUT I needed a hire car. From posts here, I thought I was going to be out of pocket through no fault of my own. I was told I must approach the other driver's insurance company for compensation, which I did, to be told I would only receive a percentage of my hire car costs, no way full reimbursement. If I was using the car for my work (I don't) the percentage was likely to be higher.
Anyway, I wrote to the Chairman of Thanachart Insurance giving the 'saga'. I precis here, but I explained a car was essential to me (Location, getting son to school etc.), although not for business and that it was blatantly unfair that I should not be compensated in full for the hire car costs, being completely innocent in the accident, caused by one of his policy holders.
Success! I've been promised the reimbursement of rental costs in full. Even my wife is quite quiet, normally telling me not to bother. :lol: Nice to have the occasional victory here.
Incidentally, my wife did make reference to some kind of Government office (maybe Consumer Protection Board?) which can take this kind of thing up for you.
Oh, watch out for anyone dealing with your claim. My wife and I are suspicious, as the agent asked if we'd accept less(5,000 baht less), that he'll attempt to skim off something for himself in sending off documentation to Head Office.
Good result there.

There's an Insurance Ombudsman which I think your wife was referring to. I have read they are quite good.

Absolutely spot-on advice on watching the insurance agent (assessor) like a hawk. A lot of these people work for more than one insurance company and depending on the insurance company's oversight, may try to skim something off the top or tell you one thing (what you want to hear) while saying something else on the actual report to the insurance company who in turn tell you something totally different. Case in point: a friend of mine had his bike parked outside his gate and a cable TV pickup reversing back up the cul-de-sac knocked it over and dragged it a bit. Heaviest damage on one side and the driver was apologetic, said it was his fault while they waited for the cable co's insurance agent. All fine and dandy until it's time to get it sorted and the cable co's insurance company is stalling on pre-existing damage... something that was not mentioned at the time by the agent mainly because there was no pre-existing damage. I think he's chasing after the ombudsman now which is a joke since 5000 baht will probably cover all repairs.

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2105
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by Brian Davis » November 21, 2018, 3:46 am

I hope we all can avoid accidents.
But, if you are involved and it's the other guy's fault, I heard via wife and the sister-in-law that the Government was introducing a definite compensation scale if you're out of pocket following the accident e.g. cost of hire car? Sorry, all a bit vague, but I just mentioned here as a heads up and that some other member may see details.
As some of us have been told no compensation, or only a percentage, it would be good if things are on a proper footing. Although I was successful in my complaint, I did feel the system was all a scam to avoid pay outs. Surprise! :lol:

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 3112
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by tamada » November 21, 2018, 9:26 am

The whole car insurance set up needs auditing. There's a lot of people paying over the odds for 'dealer only' when it comes to repair shops thinking that that gets them better quality repairs with genuine, new parts. In reality and based on personal experience, 'dealer only' can simply get your car to the head of the queue at the same repair shop that also does 'any repair shop' work. That's acceptable since ostensibly a car repair is a car repair but one runs the risk of recovered or non-OEM parts being used in repairs instead of the new parts one would assume comes with the 'dealer only' option.

If you do have a car in a body shop getting repaired under insurance and you have some concerns about the quality of work and ultimately what you are still paying for, it pays to drop by and see what they're doing.

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 2455
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by saint » November 21, 2018, 2:11 pm

Toyota near the railway line on the eastern, or northern ringroad , whatever , has its own body shop , but a lot do get farmed out .
I have a friend who got hit from behind , no problems with the insurers ect .
But hes been without his car for months , with at least two more weeks to wait , because they couldnt get a rear light from Suzuki !!!!
My local guy who turns out quality work , would of had it on the road within two weeks .
Insurers the world over just take the p#ss , because its a legal requirement , and they can.

User avatar
mech_401
udonmap.com
Posts: 165
Joined: August 13, 2018, 3:59 am

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by mech_401 » November 23, 2018, 4:01 am

saint wrote:
November 21, 2018, 2:11 pm
Toyota near the railway line on the eastern, or northern ringroad , whatever ,
charts are necessary , study cloud formations
often flight paths of sea birds & pirate compass

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 2455
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by saint » November 23, 2018, 10:08 am

I believe land charts are called maps . No need to show depths, wrecks , cables , ect . But no doubt some smart arse will correct me on this one too !!!!
In my alleged nautical days i used to be responsible to do a weather report for the British met office at noon local time on a daily basis, which included cloud types and cloud cover amongst other things .
Anyways back to insurance and it looks like Vince has found a good online deal .

User avatar
mech_401
udonmap.com
Posts: 165
Joined: August 13, 2018, 3:59 am

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by mech_401 » November 23, 2018, 8:55 pm

you say you were an alleged sailor , but every
sailor i know of has a tattoo of a boat anchor
on his arm? have you such a mark sir ? :-k

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 2455
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by saint » November 24, 2018, 5:42 am

mech_401 wrote:
November 23, 2018, 8:55 pm
you say you were an alleged sailor , but every
sailor i know of has a tattoo of a boat anchor
on his arm? have you such a mark sir ? :-k
I said i was an alleged nautical type . Not Popeye . :roll:

Post Reply

Return to “Insurance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest