Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by BobHelm » June 27, 2018, 7:07 pm

Glad it worked out for you samster.
Is it a multiple entry OA ?
If so then that is you sorted for the next 2 years & makes the £200 much more reasonable...

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1136
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 7:09 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 27, 2018, 7:07 pm
Glad it worked out for you samster.
Is it a multiple entry OA ?
If so then that is you sorted for the next 2 years & makes the £200 much more reasonable...
All Non-OA visas are multiple entry.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 191
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Yes, it was multiple entry.

I noticed, on an earlier comment that someone said you get a 1 year stamp when you enter Thailand. Is this correct as it must be specific to the OA? I only got the usual 3 months on my old O visa.

In my 10 years out here, I only stayed over 3 months once and did a border run to Laos. Do you need to report to immigration if staying longer than 3 months?

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by BobHelm » June 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

My understanding of a multiple entry OA visa is that you get 1 year on entry but you need to do the 90 day report at your local Immigration Office (or online) while you are in Thailand - no need to physically exit the country.
However just before the visa expiry date if you do physically exit & return then you will get another 12 month stamp in your passport & continue with 90 day reporting as above..

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1136
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 27, 2018, 8:59 pm
My understanding of a multiple entry OA visa is that you get 1 year on entry but you need to do the 90 day report at your local Immigration Office (or online) while you are in Thailand - no need to physically exit the country.
However just before the visa expiry date if you do physically exit & return then you will get another 12 month stamp in your passport & continue with 90 day reporting as above..
The 90 day report is independent of any visa or permission to stay.

Everyone non Thai who is in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.

With an OA visa every time that you leave and renter the country you get a 1 year permission to stay until the expiration date of the visa. As bob said to get the maximum time you should make exit and renter just before the visa expires. The only difference is that once the visa has expired if you want to leave during the last year after the visa has expired you will need to get a reentry permit before leaving, you will be able to get it at the airport on the way out at some (but not all) international airports. It isn't available at KK airport.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1136
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 9:24 pm

samster wrote:
June 27, 2018, 8:16 pm
Yes, it was multiple entry.

I noticed, on an earlier comment that someone said you get a 1 year stamp when you enter Thailand. Is this correct as it must be specific to the OA? I only got the usual 3 months on my old O visa.

In my 10 years out here, I only stayed over 3 months once and did a border run to Laos. Do you need to report to immigration if staying longer than 3 months?
A Non-O gives 90 days
A Non-OA gives 365 days

The 90 day report is independent of any visa or permission to stay.

Everyone non Thai who is in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.

Usual penalty for missing a report is 2,000 Baht
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 191
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 11:58 pm

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

User avatar
kopkei
udonmap.com
Posts: 1277
Joined: August 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by kopkei » June 28, 2018, 7:07 am

before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1136
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm

kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 9663
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by 747man » June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....

User avatar
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com
Posts: 3663
Joined: February 13, 2006, 2:02 am
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by FrazeeDK » June 28, 2018, 6:38 pm

I arrived in June of 2012 with an O/A visa.. Prior to the end of the first 90 days I reported to Immigration and told them I was retired. So, from then on I just did the 90 checks... However the initial OA visa still allowed me to visit up to Lao and upon return get stamped "perimission to stay" for another year..
Dave

skinner
udonmap.com
Posts: 475
Joined: June 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
Location: Nong bua lamphu

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by skinner » June 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

747man wrote:
June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....
That is correct . No need to report. I use Non O multi entry visas and have never done a 90 day report in the 16 years of being here

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1136
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 28, 2018, 11:47 pm

747man wrote:
June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....
As the Non-O visa only gives a 90 day permission to stay, as I mentioned above, you have to exit on or before day 90 so unless you extend your permission to stay you don't need to report as your exit on or before day 90 negates the need to report. The overwhelming majority of people will not stay for 90 days as the chance fo a slip up causing an overstay, and the problems an overstay can be, that usually the stay is shorter.

So in short, no report if you exit up to and including day 90.

The wording of the requirement is that any foreigner staying in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 9663
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by 747man » June 29, 2018, 12:25 pm

skinner wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:42 pm
747man wrote:
June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....
That is correct . No need to report. I use Non O multi entry visas and have never done a 90 day report in the 16 years of being here
Yeah, Skinner I Knew I Was correct in my assumption,I've NOT Reported for approx 5 Years now, It was just that a Farang friend of mine ( Who is only on a Tourist Visa ) Said to me " YOU Must report to Immigration EVERY 90 Days " & When I Told him I Wasn't HERE For the FULL 90 Days that I DON'T have to report he said " It's ALL Changed Now " & He Would NOT Believe Me.....So I've been Proved CORRECT.... :D :D :D

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 9663
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by 747man » June 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 11:47 pm
747man wrote:
June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....
As the Non-O visa only gives a 90 day permission to stay, as I mentioned above, you have to exit on or before day 90 so unless you extend your permission to stay you don't need to report as your exit on or before day 90 negates the need to report. The overwhelming majority of people will not stay for 90 days as the chance fo a slip up causing an overstay, and the problems an overstay can be, that usually the stay is shorter.

So in short, no report if you exit up to and including day 90.

The wording of the requirement is that any foreigner staying in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.
Cheers Mate, I've been proved CORRECT in my Assumption.... :D :D :D :D

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests