Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
fdimike
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by fdimike » October 20, 2018, 7:21 pm

The O-A visa is a non-immigrant visa based on retirement. No need to convert it after you arrive here.

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2018, 12:39 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 20, 2018, 2:43 pm

I thought 14 was a must. Its just a Booking, not an actual Ticket. So one can book, print and then cancel after getting the Visa [-X

I thought the Non O were for Married or ........?

Given as I am not married, I also wanted to get a Multiple Entry, as I may come back to here and do a few 2 - 3 month work stints, after I have had a few months break from here, :-k that is if the offer me enough to make it worth my while. \:D/

pipoz
As to 14) each embassy has thier own rules, some require tickets, some bookings, some nothing.
They also have their own rules as to who may apply for a Non O, Non O multiple entry and Non OA

As you are looking at getting an OA I realised that you weren't married (also the jungle drums would have told SWMBO that your status had changed :shock: ) and that you must be over 50.

The only disadvantage to the "extension of stay with multiple reentry permit" route is that you would need to be in Thailand on its anniversary to renew it. It doesn't prevent you spending as much time out of the country as you like or working in another country.

The only point is that your country of residence may not offer the single entry for you, so that is when entering visa exempt and hopping over to Vientiane comes in and you are committed to staying in Thailand for 60 days after entering with a Non-O visa before you can apply for the extension.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 20, 2018, 6:28 pm
kopkei wrote:
October 20, 2018, 4:38 pm
non immigrant OA visa you can only get in your country of origin not in Los ....
otherwise it will be the normal non immigrant O.... ;)
Thanks and yes I am applying for my Non Immigrant O-A Visa in my "Temporary Country of Origin" \:D/ . I forgot to mention it will cost me TB 6,800 to apply for my O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy here

At a point in time, six to nine months after I arrive in Thailand, I presume that I will then need to convert my O-A to a Retirement type Visa

pipoz4444
No if you get an OA then with an entry just before the visa expires you get another 1 year that needs a reentry permit to maintain.

Also you can't convert the O-A you can only extend a permission to stay and you can only do that when there's less than 30 days left. And that is not a Visa

Visas only issued at embassy's or consulates never in Thailand (except in one case when it is immediately used)
Extensions of stay only ever issued at immigration offices.
Permision to stay virtually always (there is one exception that is different) issued only at boarders

The rules are different for visas and extensions of stay and that difference will bite you if you don't pay attention.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2018, 4:46 pm

Thanks STWK

So, assuming I start on an Non Immigrant O-A in the not too distant future, do I just extend it indefinitely for years to come, staying on that O-A until I get to the Crematorium 8-[

Or is there a point in time or an age limit, in the future, where I change over from that O-A to a Retirement Visa

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2018, 5:19 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 21, 2018, 4:46 pm
Thanks STWK

So, assuming I start on an Non Immigrant O-A in the not too distant future, do I just extend it indefinitely for years to come, staying on that O-A until I get to the Crematorium 8-[

Or is there a point in time or an age limit, in the future, where I change over from that O-A to a Retirement Visa

pipoz4444
Basically that's exactly what you do. (However the O-A will only last for the first year after that you have no visa.)

During the first year you come and go as you please.

Just before the VISA finishes you go out and come back which gives a second year during the second year you then MUST have a reentry permit if you want to exit and return.

30 days or less before the second year permission to stay expires you go to immigration and extend your permission to stay for another year. After that rinse and repeate until you pop your clogs.

FWIW there is no Retirement Visa. The Visa "Non O-A" (Long Stay) Is the one often called a Retirement Visa, however there is also the Non O which can be issued to people over 50 and can be called a Retirement Visa, and last and most confusingly the "extension of stay for the purpose of retirement " which again is often called a Retirement Visa but is not a visa.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 21, 2018, 7:00 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 21, 2018, 5:19 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
October 21, 2018, 4:46 pm
Thanks STWK

pipoz4444
Basically that's exactly what you do. (However the O-A will only last for the first year after that you have no visa.)

During the first year you come and go as you please.

Just before the VISA finishes you go out and come back which gives a second year during the second year you then MUST have a reentry permit if you want to exit and return.

30 days or less before the second year permission to stay expires you go to immigration and extend your permission to stay for another year. After that rinse and repeate until you pop your clogs.

FWIW there is no Retirement Visa. The Visa "Non O-A" (Long Stay) Is the one often called a Retirement Visa, however there is also the Non O which can be issued to people over 50 and can be called a Retirement Visa, and last and most confusingly the "extension of stay for the purpose of retirement " which again is often called a Retirement Visa but is not a visa.
Thanks makes it all clear

Now all I need to do is to keep away from that Crematorium \:D/

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2018, 9:16 pm

Don't forget that you will have to report once you have been, or intend to be, in Thailand for 90 days. This has nothing to do with any visa or permission to stay, though you may do it at the same time as another thing that you need visit immigration for.

Hages
udonmap.com

Post by Hages » November 5, 2018, 11:15 am

A question around arrival & departure on a Non immigrant O multiple entry visa.
Do you need to fill out the departure card on arrival as you do with a tourist visa? as I'm not sure at what point in the 90 day stay I will leave the country.
Do you need to fill out a departure card when leaving on this type of visa?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 5, 2018, 1:03 pm

Everyone has to fill in a departure card when they leave, only needs to be completed prior to immigration on the way out

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 5, 2018, 2:13 pm

Hages wrote:
November 5, 2018, 11:15 am
A question around arrival & departure on a Non immigrant O multiple entry visa.
Do you need to fill out the departure card on arrival as you do with a tourist visa? as I'm not sure at what point in the 90 day stay I will leave the country.
Do you need to fill out a departure card when leaving on this type of visa?
There is no departure date on the departure card. Fill it out but leave the flight number blank which you can add when you leave and have that information. When you enter immigration will stamp your arrival date on the departure card and return it to you which you will in turn give to them when you leave. They will check the arrival date against the time allowed on your visa to make sure you haven't overstayed.

Hages
udonmap.com

Post by Hages » November 5, 2018, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, clear & very straight forward.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 1, 2019, 5:42 pm

Going for my Thai Non O A this month :lol: :lol:

Slowly moving towards my application date for my Non O-A (1 Year Multi Entry Visa).

Will lodge it with the Thai Embassy in 2 -3 week’s time and expect it will only take 5 – 7 days to get from the Thai Embassy. \:D/ \:D/

So far I have,
My Original Passport (Obviously)
1. Copy of My Original Passport duly attested to by the Australian Consulate and then signed by myself
2. Copy of current Residents Permit (must have 3 months left) duly signed by myself, no need to get it attested
3. 3 x Completed Thai Visa Forms with Photo attached to each. (Downloaded from Thai Embassy website and information must be typed into it)
4. Copy of Thai Condo Title showing me as the Owner
5. Copy of Thai Condo Blue Book
6. Copy of recent Electricity Account/Bill in my name for the Condo
7. Salary letter from my current Employer, addressed to Royal Thai Embassy, in the format and with the text provided to me by the Thai Embassy in ..............
8. Copy of my CV attached to the Salary Letter
9. Copy of my Airline Booking for Flight to and from Thailand in February 2019

Still have to arrange :-k
• The Original and a copy of recent Police Clearance Certificate from the Local Ministry Authority (no more than 3 months old)
• The Original and a copy of a recent Medical Certificate from a recognized Hospital in this Country (no more than 2 months old)
• Previous 6 months copies of Bank Statements. Original from the Bank, duly signed and stamped by the Bank (not downloaded)
• Copy of Thai bank Account Book/ Statement) But they said it doesn’t need to show TB 800,000, if my current ............Country Bank shows this amount or more – They will accept one or the other, they said)

Will go for my Medical (and hence Medical Certificate) and to the Bank for the Statements next week and then trundle out to the CID to get my Police Clearance Certificate from the Local Ministry Authority, after that. Should have it all in place by 14 January 2019. :lol:

I realize that the criteria for my application (over here) for the Non O-A Visa may be different elsewhere, for Others, but I am applying at the Thai Embassy in a Country where I only work under a Resident Permit (renewed yearly). Not in my home Country where my Passport says I am a Citizen. So the above, is the criteria of the documentation, which this Thai Embassy in this Country, has asked for. :confused: :confused:

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 21, 2019, 11:04 am

I gather you can extend a Non Immigrant Visa O-A for a number of years after it first expires. Is this correct

My intention is to get my Non Immigrant Visa O-A this coming February 2019, then fly to Thailand and activate it in April 2019.

Then I leave Thailand for 18 - 24 months, flying in and out every 3 months, saying only one week each time that I fly in.

Presumably I will need to extend my Non Immigrant Visa O-A at some time during that 18-24 month fly in/fly out period and then most likely extend it again, when I finally settle in Thailand for good at the end of the 18-24 month period in 2021. Does anybody see anything wrong with this. :-k

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 21, 2019, 11:23 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
January 21, 2019, 11:04 am
I gather you can extend a Non Immigrant Visa O-A for a number of years after it first expires. Is this correct
pipoz4444
The visa can't be extended, if you are sill commuting in 2 years time you can get another Non-OA from your country of residence. I assume China.

During the first year from the date of issue until the expiration date you can enter as many time as you like you will get a 1 year permission to stay each entry.

If you enter just before your Visa expires you will get another 1 year permission to stay, you then must buy a reentry permit to come back in (single 1,000 multiple 3,800) to keep that permission to stay date.

In the last 30 days of that permission to stay you can extend the permission to stay for 1 year, you must have 800,000 in a Thai bank account in your name only and have held it there for 3 months before applying.

There is an option to show monthly transfers into thailand from abroad of not less than 65,000 for 12 months. This is in a shakedown situation now having just been allowed so the exact immigration requirements are not 100% clear, by the time you could need it we should know exactly what is acceptable.

There was an option to have money in the bank combined with income, some immigration offices and officers are saying this option is no longer available.

This information is correct for UK, US, Australian and Danish citizens, regarding the monthly transfers to Thailand.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 21, 2019, 11:42 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 21, 2019, 11:23 am
pipoz4444 wrote:
January 21, 2019, 11:04 am
pipoz4444
The visa can't be extended, if you are sill commuting in 2 years time you can get another Non-OA from your country of residence. I assume China.

During the first year from the date of issue until the expiration date you can enter as many time as you like you will get a 1 year permission to stay each entry.

If you enter just before your Visa expires you will get another 1 year permission to stay, you then must buy a reentry permit to come back in (single 1,000 multiple 3,800) to keep that permission to stay date.

In the last 30 days of that permission to stay you can extend the permission to stay for 1 year, you must have 800,000 in a Thai bank account in your name only and have held it there for 3 months before applying.

There is an option to show monthly transfers into thailand from abroad of not less than 65,000 for 12 months. This is in a shakedown situation now having just been allowed so the exact immigration requirements are not 100% clear, by the time you could need it we should know exactly what is acceptable.

There was an option to have money in the bank combined with income, some immigration offices and officers are saying this option is no longer available.

This information is correct for UK, US, Australian and Danish citizens, regarding the monthly transfers to Thailand.
Thanks Jerome,and no its not China this time

Re. During the first year from the date of issue until the expiration date you can enter as many time as you like you will get a 1 year permission to stay each entry - If you enter just before your Visa expires you will get another 1 year permission to stay, you then must buy a reentry permit to come back in (single 1,000 multiple 3,800) to keep that permission to stay date. - That's good \:D/

Re. In the last 30 days of that permission to stay you can extend the permission to stay for 1 year, you must have 800,000 in a Thai bank account in your name only and have held it there for 3 months before applying - No problem, I stuck this amount in my Thai Bank 8 months ago, purely for this Non Immigrant Visa O-A purpose.

Thanks

pipoz4444

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » January 21, 2019, 12:15 pm

Can someone clarify the O-A please
I was going to get a M E one from London Thai Embassy with proof of income and also proof I have equivalent 800k baht in a I’m bank immediate access bank account for at least 3 months
On that basis will the IO in Udon give me another year without evidence of income but relying on the fact that the Thai Embassy in London issued me an O- A?
Or do I have to put 800k baht into a Thai bank a/c whilst I’m in Udon?
Appreciate clarification and apologies if I’m being silly but want to get it right for obvious reasons
Thanks

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

I Believe You have to have the 800k in a Thai Bank Account for at least 3 Months on the day you apply for you're extension with a letter from the bank CONFIRMING that written ON the day you apply.....Only what I've read !!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 21, 2019, 12:33 pm

vidmaster wrote:
January 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
I was going to get a M E one from London Thai Embassy with proof of income and also proof I have equivalent 800k baht in a I’m bank immediate access bank account for at least 3 months
On that basis will the IO in Udon give me another year without evidence of income but relying on the fact that the Thai Embassy in London issued me an O- A?
Appreciate clarification and apologies if I’m being silly but want to get it right for obvious reasons
Thanks
Not quite sure of your meaning there are Non-O single entry, Non-O Multi entry, and a Non-OA

FWIW The UK embassy is notorious for adding extra requirements.

All of the permissions to stay granted on entry (using a Non-O or Non-OA) to Thailand can be extended in the last 30 days If applying for an extension for retirment you must have had 800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank for 60 days(2 months) for your first extension after that 90 days (3 months)

Immigration is not interested in deposits used for getting a visa, they are different ministries.

Proof of income is also available.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 21, 2019, 12:35 pm

747man wrote:
January 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
I Believe You have to have the 800k in a Thai Bank Account for at least 3 Months on the day you apply for you're extension with a letter from the bank CONFIRMING that written ON the day you apply.....Only what I've read !!
Letter on the day, yes every extension.
First extension 2 months in the bank
after that 3 months in the bank

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 21, 2019, 1:36 pm

vidmaster wrote:
January 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
Thanks
These are the requirements for a multi-entry O-A from the London Thai Embassy website:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... sas.html#7

When you get the multi-entry O-A, you will not be required to show evidence of funds at Udon Immi until you apply for an extension at the end of the 2nd year of your visa (assuming you have done the late border crossing near the end of the 1st 12months).

The extension application would then require the normal evidence ie 800,000 in the Thai bank for 2 months (although 3 months would be safer) or 65,000 income etc etc.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”