Phuket Air plane skids off runway at Mae Sot

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » September 13, 2005, 4:00 am

Story in Bangkok Post: http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12Sep2005_news03.php

As if Phuket Air did not have enough problems already :(

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 13, 2005, 4:26 am

Thanks Jimbo :shock: as if I didn't distrust flying enough anyway. i went on one of these suckers from Chang Mai to Udon in Feb this year and swore then that Phuket Air was not for me ever again... :roll:

admin
Admin

Post by admin » September 13, 2005, 9:04 am

Thanks Jim,

I will post the story here because the Bangkok Post likes to archive their old stories and this way it will make it available forever.

SUPAMART KASEM

Tak _ A Phuket Air passenger plane from Bangkok skidded off the runway on landing at Mae Sot airport in heavy rain yesterday morning.

All 28 passengers and crew aboard the ageing YS11 twin turbo-prop emerged unhurt.

Flight 9R326 took off from Bangkok around 7.30am and arrived at Mae Sot airport about 9am.

A witness said the plane appeared to land at an unusually high speed, probably more than 100kph, and touched down far beyond the middle of the runway.

The plane appeared to lose balance as it made a turn at the end of the runway. It skidded off the runway, tilting to one side and came to a stop. There was fuel leaking from the plane, the witness said.

Airport director Pongsak Phanthumitr said the 24 passengers and four crew escaped uninjured.

Since the accident happened only 200-300 metres from a petrol station on the Mae Sot-Rim Moei highway, and there was fuel leaking from the plane, the area was put off limits to the public and the petrol station was closed immediately. The airport was also closed until 6pm today.

Mr Pongsak said a preliminary inspection found little damage to the plane. The Aviation Department was sending a team of experts from Bangkok to investigate.

"Airport officials strictly followed safety regulations and the situation was quickly under control," he said.

Aviation Department chief Chaisak Angsuwan said Phuket Air's frequent accidents stemmed from the airline's org-anisational problems and they had not yet affected passenger safety.

The department would revoke the airline's licence if a safety problem emerged, Mr Chaisak said.

The airline suspended all Bangkok-Mae Sot flights yesterday. Passengers who were to fly today should call the airline to check on departure times.
Admin

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 13, 2005, 11:19 am

A bit different spin from Phuket Gazette:

Monday, September 12, 2005

Phuket Air plane prangs perimeter fence

TAK (The Nation): A Phuket Air plane from Bangkok skidded off the runway at Tak Airport shortly after 9 am yesterday during landing. None of the 30 passengers on board was injured.

The decades-old Japanese YS-11 twin-turboprop aircraft with a 64-seat capacity barreled into the airport

valentine

Post by valentine » September 13, 2005, 8:40 pm

As a pilot of 50 years experience it sounds a classic example of pilot inexperience of the type flown.Particular liked the description of crew evacuating through window and trying to open door from outside.What happened to custom of captain staying with sinking ship.Would love to know what nationality they were.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 13, 2005, 10:08 pm

Thats a frightening thought valentine :? .

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 14, 2005, 10:55 am

and to think i used to tell my friends coming to visit to fly Phuket Air.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 14, 2005, 12:07 pm

obviously a wee bit of misjudgment on the pilot thinking. i did read where one passenger said they were quite pass the beginning of the runway and still haven't touched down. i would like to think it was just a stupid misjudgement and not a mental company pressure thing, as if aborting landing and circling around to do properly might of meant a late arrival and departure. unfortunitely non union, upstart, charter type companies have too much control of air safety for profit and statistics of good performance, as is with such companies and countries not giving the employee the right to make the right decision, instead of forcing a situation, possible dangerous. and the poor pilot who is trying to feed his family is scared of management and loss of income. of course, no cause to risk safety to self and passengers, but might of thought he could of pulled it off.

have other stories, but this is similar to what happen in this incident, with proper action taken. landing in philly, usa, on northwest, 757, which i've done probably 50+ times. if you see the cargo/freight house coming from the one directions, you know, oops, missed his approach. looked over to my bud and said, oh well, let's try that again. a blank stare from him, seconds later the pilot is applying more thrust for another attempt, we just laughed as the flight atttendants just smiled and rolled their eyes.

now that could also have been the traffic controllers fault, not allowing decent fast enough, but that is rare, but it was rush hour, so you never know and of course, nobody wants to admit to who's fault it really was.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 14, 2005, 1:18 pm

I believe it was their last plane as well.I think it is time for the owner to give up and stick to the hotel business.

StevieC
udonmap.com

Post by StevieC » September 14, 2005, 6:13 pm

Last time I flew Phuket Air was back in January this year from Chiang Mai to Udon and flight was absolutely fine. In view of what has happened recently I have serious reservations about flying with them again. Think I'll stick to the bus. :(
Ergo Bibamus

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 14, 2005, 7:51 pm

StevieC wrote:Think I'll stick to the bus. :(
Sounds like a wise decision 8)

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 15, 2005, 4:14 pm

Only one way to offer Cheap flights, cut back on maintenance, there's only one way then, DOWN

Kally
Master Builder

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 15, 2005, 10:31 pm

oops

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 15, 2005, 11:11 pm

Ah well at least it's still in 1 piece...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 15, 2005, 11:59 pm

Ah, but it was when it wasn't late for boarding for the return trip that it is time yo worry... :D

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 16, 2005, 11:06 am

BangkokButcher wrote:Ah well at least it's still in 1 piece...
But that aircraft will not be flying anywhere for quite some time. just about every component will need to be checked - I think that could well be the end for this company.

I for one, have to admire the guy for trying though. Everybody jumps on board now and joins in with the 'assasination' of Phuket Air - yet when they were offering cheaper flights than everyone else - everybody loved them.
The 'sensationalism' in the press has been a contributing factor, and naturally things get blown out of all proportion. Take it from me - what may seem as a major incident, like the fuel leaking from the wings during a stopover- happens more times than you think.

Companies such as Easyjet and Ryanair prove that it can be done - if you know what you are doing.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 16, 2005, 11:25 am

there's a lot a truth there, working for 4 different airlines, i've seen a bit, and leaving the runway is by no means a major disaster, especially when no one is injured, it happens way too often. most times in minor mishaps, more people get injured evacuating than what really caused the evac.

as you say, they are the flavor of the month for the press. it's good they get checked out, but don't ground the fleet because one plane has a bad history, and not necessarily the aircraft itself. there are so many other airlines flying that are much worst. i believe there is only one major airlines that has not had a major crash, but your major, top 25 world airlines, most popular have the largest death tolls, granted, the most air time, but sh*t is going to happen. i've been blown off runways just befor touchdown, and been in some spooky landings, which would of petrified people never to fly again, but i rather enjoyed the experience and never feared for my life. actually said that was way too cool, can we do that again, and man, if looks could kill, quite a few people refrained themselves as i laughed. it's what makes life great, got to have a little faith. because in those situations, there ain't a damn thing you can do, well, there was a vote one time, the captain actually lost. had to be there, it was an all employee flight. next meeting, if you want me to bore you.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 16, 2005, 9:01 pm

I guess statistics have a lot to do with air incidents..

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 16, 2005, 9:23 pm

more to what paul was pointing out, which i agree with, phuket air being the airline target of the month, or politically motivated, eliminating any competition.

http://feeds.myanmarnews.net/?rid=a2e06 ... 75b678&f=1

"None of the 28 occupants

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 16, 2005, 9:42 pm

Grounding a fleet is a serious decision and would usually be done where mechanical component faliure is strongly suspected. The fleet are grounded until that component has been checked on each aircraft.

It appears without question that this incident was pilot error, aided by some very testing weather conditions. There have (so far) been no reports of anything being reported as failing (eg brakes, control surfaces) so the pilot screwed up!

If it was a Boeing, would Thailand get away with insisting that all Boeings are grounded until further notice - not a chance.

Mr Phuket Air has forgotten to send his 'gift' to somebody, and is now paying the price. Unfortunately one of his pilots has done him no favours whatsoever at these troubled times and you can imagine the one who has to tell him the bad news that one one of his pilots has just added to his troubles - just what he didn't need. I guess he had a really bad day that day !

Return to “Travel & Transport”