Police Questionair?

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
valentine

Police Questionair?

Post by valentine » August 18, 2005, 8:17 am

Yesterday I had a visit, at my home , by a policeman delivering an eight page questionair, apparently to all farangs living locally.This was supposed to be an anomynous survey, but as it was hand delivered and collected could easily be identified.The questions on it, ranged from the usual, what do you work? How much you earn? To far more personal ones like, how much gold has your wife got? How much have you spent on the house? How much Does he give you every month? this in the section for my wife to complete. Where did you meet? As you can imagine, many more to fill eight pages.
I feel this is a gross intrusion into my privacy and I am not aware that it is part of my visa requirements.Has anyone else on the forum been asked to do this?
I am trying to find out, is it an overzealous local force, or is it a ruling from Bangkok. I couldn]t get a straight answer and as is usual, allI got from TW was a blank expression and a 'Why do you want to make problems" attitude.
feed back would be appreciated.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2005, 9:07 am

Wow _ I am shocked and suprised !

I have not had one (yet) but again I didn't get a personal invite to the Farang party held in udon earlier this year (International son-in-law or some strange name) as some people did.

I am ouraged as you are into this intrusion of privacy and to be honest its non of their goddam business.

I can't believe the lengths they will go to, to make foreigners feel uncomfortable here. Are you sure this is ligit and not something dreamed up by Sgt Sansawakanakornpomibuupon himself - just to see if there is any information he can use against you or extract a bribe (sorry sorry - 'gift')

I would wait and see if any other Foreigners receive one of these.

Does this now mean you are now excused your 3 monthly trek to Nong Khai to tell them where you live (again) as they quite obviously know that already and mores the point can actually find the place.

When I did my first extension, apparently the police would come to check I was actually living where I said I was living - but after 2 months nothing. After enquiring - they said they couldn't find my house !
Firstly I live in the city centre and secondly, suppose I reported a burglary or a shooting ????
Scary isn't it?

Lets hear if anyone else receives a survey?

By the way did you get a free pen , and will your name go into a draw with the chance to win a car for all returnees ????? LOL

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 18, 2005, 9:15 am

sounds like a survey to figure out which house to burglarize. yea, i'm not on the local list either, thankfully. that does sound way to strange to be authorized for any reason. they have all the information they need at immigration.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 18, 2005, 12:46 pm

Sounds very odd and would not fill it in myself.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 18, 2005, 2:00 pm

Well, I filled it in, grossly exagerating my income and military rank etc, which they must have believed, judging by the salutes I got when i went back this morning.Apparently its orders from above to investigate any farangs that exhibit signs of being "unusally wealthy" my commas.
So I have the immigration on one hand telling me I must have 1million in bank to justify my 1year visa, then when I do, the local boys want to know where I got it.!!!!
Although I only know of one other farang who got one, many more must have, as he had a handful of questionairs.
Will keep you all posted of outcome as I have registered a complaint with British embassy.
Warning bells are ringing regarding the amount of cash to keep on deposit here though.
As an aside though, my wife has been approached by several mia of police asking can she find farang for them!!!!

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 18, 2005, 3:02 pm

Would be interesting to hear what the British Embassy has to say about it as well.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 18, 2005, 3:47 pm

Wow _ I am shocked and suprised !

I have not had one (yet) but again I didn't get a personal invite to the Farang party held in udon earlier this year (International son-in-law or some strange name) as some people did.

I am ouraged as you are into this intrusion of privacy and to be honest its non of their goddam business.
Have to agree with Paul. Got nothing here. What language was it in, German, French, American, British, ...... I guess my answer would be "please have it transulated into ........." :wink:

admin
Admin

Post by admin » August 18, 2005, 4:08 pm

Be very careful there.

This is not any business of the local Udon Thani police, if they are suspicious of someone then they should report the matter to the Thai immigration office or immigration police and then they will take it from there.

The Thai police really have no right to ask such personal questions unless you have been charged with a crime, in this case the immigration police will take over.

Maybe you could also ask at the immigration office about the letter.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 18, 2005, 4:25 pm

I tend to think Paul may have been right, alocal cop was sitting at his desk feeling bored and thought of a good thing to get up to.They are rapidly back peddling, saying why am I making such a fuss, its only a survey!!!All farangs in the district are being asked to complete it. I am the only one to complain.The strange thing although it was mainly aimed at me, it was written in Thai, which makes me think it is definitely a local idea.They have no idea why I consider it to be an intrusion on my privacy.TIT.

admin
Admin

Post by admin » August 18, 2005, 4:31 pm

Maybe you should ask them the same questions and see what they think?

However I guess that because they are the police then that may not be a good idea!

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 19, 2005, 10:30 am

I am sure such questions can be asked by the AMLO but not a common bobby.

admin
Admin

Post by admin » August 19, 2005, 2:51 pm

I am sure such questions can be asked by the AMLO but not a common bobby.
Surely not how much gold your wife has got! What's that got to do with anything???

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 19, 2005, 3:30 pm

laphanphon wrote:sounds like a survey to figure out which house to burglarize.
Let's just hope it's not :?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 19, 2005, 8:48 pm

Hope you saved a copy! :shock:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 20, 2005, 10:51 am

Once had tha bank ask me questions about where some money i had transferred had come from,but no questions from the police as yet.

The AMLO have the power to question anyone they consider "unusually wealthy" and took the assets of a local guy who ran a small seafood stall in the market but managed to build himself a three million Baht house.Said he must be selling yar bar.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 20, 2005, 1:44 pm

A "survey/questionnaire in Thai delivered by a member of the police department? I would not have filled it out, even with wife's help, but would have sought some legal assistance from a trusted local attorney. Surely, the police officer should have understood the need for this type of assistance and should have left his card or contact number so you (or your attorney) could (maybe) deliver this very private information to the proper authority. Just my opinion, of course.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 20, 2005, 7:22 pm

Q1 - What constitutes 'unusually wealthy'
Q2 - How do they find out your bank balance to suspect you of being 'unusually wealthy' in the first place?
Q3 - Why is a 'survey' aimed at a foreigner written in Thai ?

I guess that the requirement to have a minimum of 400,000 in the bank each year - which equates to over 33,000 per month, does make you reasonably wealthy compared to the average local salary.

Definitely something not right here; and interesting to see the Thai response is 'why make a fuss' - Foreigners way of thinking is way way underestimated in Thailand and many including me. do not accept everything that comes their way without questioning it first. - So un-Thai.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 20, 2005, 8:41 pm

Hey, I signed a lease for one year on the house I am renting. Do you really think I would sign something written in Thai :?: The teacher had it translated into english and we both signed the english version. There is no way I would fill out, sign or do anything else to something I can not read! 8)

valentine

Post by valentine » August 21, 2005, 9:58 am

Well guys, thanks for al your advice. Have got more "sense" from various departments now.
Firstly, embassy attitude, if its a voluntarily survey and I am not happy with it, don't fill it in.!!!!
Immigration, nothing to do with us. End of conversation. Maybe I should have given them a GIFT?Aye Paul?
Now more forthcoming were the local constabluary and Amphoe.The survey was a joint operation between them, not aimed at farangs but at the wives of farangs.It had something to do with protecting the welfare of those poor unfortunates that had falling into our clutches. My definition.
Apparently, now don't laugh, they are concerned that the poor girls are being taken in by us smooth talking , white skinned, natives of a foreign land, who use them, abuse them and then go home leaving then bahtless.
This whole explanation was given without a smile, I was the only one laughing my head off when my wife interpreted for me.
Of all the ridiculous things I've heard in Thailand this has shot straight into my number one spot.So be careful how you treat your spouse, big brother is watching you!!!

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 21, 2005, 2:06 pm

If they conduct the war on corruption like they did the war on drugs then they will not be going on hard evidence but on hearsay.In the three thousand that died there were more than i few who were innocent but not liked by jealous neighbours.

Around here if someone has a few quid and buys a nice car say,the locals all say they must be selling the yar bar.

Return to “Thailand Law”