Bang Fai Phajanak

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Garnet
udonmap.com

Naga Search

Post by Garnet » January 26, 2006, 10:52 am

I just came across this today, and although it's obviously a few years old, the author's descriptions of his travelling visit in search of Naga was more interesting than I expected:

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/166_naga.shtml

Garnet & Jack

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 26, 2006, 11:06 am

Darn Garnet, I really had my blood pumping. I was finally going to get to moderate a post and you did not say anything bad. :lol:

Now I will have to wait for someone to say darn or heck.

Now look at me saying those atrocious words. Will have to moderate myself. :fryingpan:

Garnet
udonmap.com

Waiting to Strike....

Post by Garnet » January 27, 2006, 10:28 am

Hmmm....

....And the waiting, circling shark actually baits those who have--with any show of impunity--dared to enter its murky waters....
Garnet & Jack

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Ban Pai Pajanak

Post by Alagrl » January 27, 2006, 11:24 pm

What is the saying?

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 27, 2006, 11:36 pm

Brian,

Just to keep you happy.....

Heck, what does it have to be so darn cold in the UK at the moment..

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 28, 2006, 12:22 am

Thanks Bob, watch when you say Darn. :lol:

By the way just in case someone missed my point it was said in jest about moderator. It is something that should never have to be used. If so will most likely have to use on myself.

Garnet, If I offended you I apologize. It was, you are the first post since that has been done and I was only saying that in jest. Again if I offended you I apologize.

Garnet
udonmap.com

Reflection

Post by Garnet » January 28, 2006, 9:58 am

Admittedly, still smarting from a few unchallenged remarks levied last Fall/Winter, Brian. However, I clearly enough recognized the lightheartedness of this mock-challenge as Moderator, though. I guess I just needed to finally allude to some sensitivity still lingering at this end.
Garnet & Jack

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 28, 2006, 11:37 am

One of these days we will have a beer and forget it all. If not at least we will agree to disagree. Lets just wait for the beer.

later.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » January 28, 2006, 12:32 pm

Ok Banpaeng you can edit this post if necessary :wink:

This is one of the GOD&#^% , piece of %*$# , F^#&*#@ fireballs that I saw :? But not all was lost though...you should have seen the Tiger Beer girl selling beer to the crowd :wink:

OK so the picture is a little small I'll post a bigger one to the Album Misc. just look for the arrow.
Punish the Liver

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » January 28, 2006, 1:30 pm

Oh to heck with all that lets talk about the Toger ber girl, I'm old I need the excitement :lol:

Garnet
udonmap.com

Tiger Girl!

Post by Garnet » January 28, 2006, 9:58 pm

I'm with Ray, Thai_1_On--post a photo of a Tiger Girl! I've yet to actually see one, so to me, they're as rare as any fireball, and probably much more riveting to the eye!

And maybe on the rare day that I'm actually seeing a Tiger Girl, I'll be having a beer at the same table as Brian--who knows?
Garnet & Jack

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » January 28, 2006, 10:15 pm

There were darn sure some lookers at tht bike show today, in the guets the waitreses and entertainers.

I got the biggest laugh there was a group of a hardcore farrang types that were going nuts over one performer, what they didn't know was they were watching the lady boy show :lol:

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 28, 2006, 10:26 pm

ray23 wrote:I got the biggest laugh there was a group of a hardcore farrang types that were going nuts over one performer, what they didn't know was they were watching the lady boy show :lol:
You did'nt tell them, afterwards?? I thought you wanted a bit of excitement?? :twisted:

John

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Re: Tiger Girl!

Post by Thai_1_On » January 29, 2006, 1:16 am

Garnet wrote:And maybe on the rare day that I'm actually seeing a Tiger Girl, I'll be having a beer at the same table as Brian--who knows?
Wish I had a picture to post but, OK quick story. I had my spot all pick out on the wall and TW was off shopping. My beer supply was running low like a true vision here comes one of the famous Tiger Beer Girls :shock: She was wearing one of those orange and black super short dresses that could have been spray painted on her :twisted: I buy the whole 6 pack shes carrying and a nice tip that gets the big smile and wai then turn around the retrive the camera and guess who's standing there :oops:
Punish the Liver

Garnet
udonmap.com

Good Intentions!

Post by Garnet » January 29, 2006, 5:23 am

But at least you thought of it, so I'll credit you for that attempt! I'd probably have been too timid to try and photograph her to best advantage--more likely I'd try a distance shot that would be too small to appreciate afterwards.
Garnet & Jack

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » January 29, 2006, 1:03 pm

yorkman wrote:
ray23 wrote:I got the biggest laugh there was a group of a hardcore farrang types that were going nuts over one performer, what they didn't know was they were watching the lady boy show :lol:
You did'nt tell them, afterwards?? I thought you wanted a bit of excitement?? :twisted:

John
What and ruin he future prospects of watching them again :wink:

The guy form out of town wanted excitment, I enjoyed the people watching. We left a 9:00 because I had something that I wnted to do to today. So there was more then likely a lot more to watch later on.

I enjoyed seeing true choppers there were a few and they were really done well. Man those Gold Wings just have me drooling. The event was done very well, since this was the first I hope there was enough attendance that there will be a second.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Naga Fireballs

Post by FrazeeDK » February 22, 2006, 5:13 am

Phon Phisai is not the only place to observe the phenomenon. Over in Lao the folks go east of Vientiane about 70km and swarm the banks of the river there.. The Thai side does the same. There are a number of places up and down the Mekong near Nong Khai where folks swear the fiery balls come up.
I've read the fireballs are actually gas bubbles that phosporece (sp) as they come to the surface of the water. it happens (supposedly) in the full moon in late October. The speculation is that the gravitational pull of the full moon (Why only in Oct I wouldn't know) causes the gas to come up at various places along the river. I've read in Rough's guide that there's another village over near Loei where it happens in a large lake or Beung..
The larger and large crowds has come from the big push for the last 4-5 years by Tourism Authority of Thailand and their "Thais visit Thailand" program that has advertised this event widely. Of course, having good highway all the way up from Bangkok allows a heavy footed city-dweller to get up to Nong Khai in 7 hours or so.. Thus, we now have thousands swarming up to the river for this festival as well as them visiting all the parks locally..
Nothing like seeing a Krungthep Maha Nakon license plate on a BMW, Benz, or Vonvo, and the man jump out wearing his "back to my roots" Pakomah tied around his waist so he'll fit in with his Isaan cousins.
Dave

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » February 28, 2006, 3:57 pm

So it's supposed to happen sometime during the full moon in late October?
Would it be adviseable to book a bungalow along the river at this early date (I realise it isn't Thai style to plan in advance, but what can I say, I'm not Thai)?
Anyone had any experience with Pantawee Resort in Nong Khai, bungalows on the river. Would their location make for good viewing?

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 28, 2006, 7:34 pm

Someone recommended that location on the site before. If you want a room on the river you better book it now, you maybe to late already. Some people from bangkok book them a year in advance.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 28, 2006, 7:37 pm

Sorry if you don't have it here is thier site : http://www.pantawee.dk/mekong.asp

I called and spoke to a english person there last year but my trip didn't come together.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”