koi carp ponds

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
leprechaun

koi carp ponds

Post by leprechaun » January 20, 2006, 8:20 pm

Is there any members in the udon area with an interest in the above subject, or with knowledge of where pond supplies can be purchased.
new member; leprechaun.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 20, 2006, 8:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find a good wealth of knowledge here.

Sorry I can not help with your question but I bet you do get an answer. :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 20, 2006, 9:30 pm

There is a pond supply shop which sell pumps, fish , fish food, etc not far from the complex,on wattana nuwong road near Karin Hotel, i have purchased lots of fish from here, the shop seems ok. Not sure wether they sell top grade koi though. But the fish i purchased where all beauties , and a cheap price.!!
Can You Dig It Dug.?

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 21, 2006, 5:08 am

Leprechaun,

First, welcome here.

Well I waited, I would very much like this information too, being an avid Koi keeper in the UK, and I would love to do the same in Thailand, but nobody is forthcoming so here is the little I know

- The pond is easy....you do not need the 5 foot or so in the cold climates
- if you want an example of what is possible, go to the 4 Seasons hotel in BKK and gasp in awe at their Koi pond, it is superb!!!!
- Think Pool pumps, easily available, and home built filters, labour is cheap
- Excellent fish are available at cheap prices if you do not want show quality, Thailand is an exporter now to Japan or elsewhere, Show fish are expensive. beautiful pond fish are cheap
- as Beer Monkey says, food and essentials are available easily, or feed them ground worms, the locals do and they get 24 inch very healthy and impressive "pets"

John

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 21, 2006, 11:35 am

You "koi heads" must also pay a visit to Safari World's Koi pond.Amazing fish,many around three feet long with all the charts to show the prized patterns.

leprechaun

koi carp/ponds

Post by leprechaun » January 22, 2006, 8:56 pm

my thanksto the following for taking the time and trouble to reply on above subject:- beer monkey, yorkman,(also from uk) business man. by the bye where is safari world?

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 22, 2006, 11:26 pm

Minburi, Bangkok

John

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 22, 2006, 11:46 pm

Just to add a little colour to the thread, some white butterflies (I think?!), from Bangkok :D

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 23, 2006, 12:23 am

And some of mine, from the UK, which is why I want the same is Thailand (Project 1...House, Project 2..Pool.....then MY project :lol:)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 7, 2006, 2:10 am

Just trying posting a picture.re-size etc this seems to be the best topic to do it .my pond but no koi. thanks.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 7, 2006, 2:20 am

Ahhhhh very nice bm! Just puzzled by the "thanks"; you don't like them (koi)....or?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 7, 2006, 4:49 am

love koi but know little about keeping them, but was just trying out posting a pic from what you was telling bang saen girl earlier about add image click here, i also never spotted that before, but probably never looked.!
anyway had to re=size a few times and this was the only place to post a picture of a pond, with no koi, i don't think they would live long with the out-laws looking after them anyway, stick with ghost koi instead less baht. :wink:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 7, 2006, 4:55 am

Size down to 80* 80 pixels as I remember. Still nice Pond bm. Whatever the fish its only false snobbery......just enjoy seeing huh?, Ghost koi are beautiful fish. It's only a hobby, but Ray's advice to occupy your mind is very wise IMHO

John
Last edited by yorkman on February 7, 2006, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 7, 2006, 5:14 am

Brother inlaw made it for me free of charge !!
4 feet deep smashing job.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 7, 2006, 5:23 am

BEER MONKEY wrote:Brother inlaw made it for me free of charge !!
4 feet deep smashing job.
Well in Thaland you can get away with 2 foot it seems...they are huge.......

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 7, 2006, 11:23 am

I took these pictures at the Phuket Fantersea venue. The lake water was crystal clear and contained the most Koi I've ever seen in one area, it was very impressive to say the least.

aj
udonmap.com

Post by aj » February 7, 2006, 12:39 pm

Being another avid koi keeer in the uk have allready built a pond in udon , a few points come to mind , for sure you dont need the depth ie 5 ft as in the uk but remember Koi breed in the heat and thunderstorms , and they breed by the male knocking the female against the side of the pool ,so even in deep pools it is possible for both male and female to end up on the ground utside of pool . I can imagine thailand needing permanent netting ? Second point has to be the water . I bought ten small koi to try it out , pond is filtered etc, however all ten died within a week . So at moment water seems to be a proplem . Also I think Thai materials such as cement have maybe a different acidic content to the uk so quite possible that it was some think in the build that did poor fish in . however as the whole pool was tile lined like a swimming pool I tend to disscount that unless the grout is also very different ? Experiments continue..

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 7, 2006, 1:13 pm

I can imagine thailand needing permanent netting ?
Don't fill the water all the way to the top and line the pond with large rocks; this will avoid the fish jumping out. Remember to make a drainage hole otherwise the pond will overflow in the rain season and make it easier for the fish to jump out.
I bought ten small koi to try it out, pond is filtered etc, however all ten died within a week .
I would advise leaving the newly built pond for at least 1 month with water in to settle. New cement has a high salt content and needs to be removed. You will need to drain, scrub and fill several times. Then on the final fill add a water treatment solution and various natural plants and then leave for a week or two to settle. During this time use a pump and filter to clean and add oxygen. By this time the pond should be ready for the fish. Make sure you add lot's of rocks for the fish to hide under so as to make them less stressed.

aj
udonmap.com

Post by aj » February 7, 2006, 2:01 pm

not sure that rocks will help the breeding process , the male hits the female pretty hard when the are full sized fish , had several instances in the uk when the force just threw the female out of the pond. If you get the gang bang scenario and leave mre than one male in the pond and they all join in then very often the female is killed . but the point Im making is that a lot of force can send female flying over anything . And with the the weather what it is in thailand I would imagine that breeding will be a fairly constant problem . In 20 years in Uk only had my fish breed twice .

leprechaun

koi carp ponds

Post by leprechaun » February 9, 2006, 8:52 pm

With regard to aj. loss of ten fish , it would be interesting to know if you test water parameters,ie, ph, water hardness (both types kh and gh) ammonia levels, nitrite, etc, etc. As all good koi keepers know, you keep water first and foremost , the fish are secondary.
I am still lacking on finding out where pond making materials in thailand can be purchased, I am rapidly approaching the stage in making my pond where I will need a sealant such as g4 for sealing the cement, as I am not amoured with the thought of tiling, (its a pond not a swimming pool.)also, does anybody know if it is possible to buy proper concrete blocks 4" or 6" thick! and solid.and lastly are there any volunteers out there who can give an old man a hand!

Return to “House & Land”