Curtains

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Paul
udonmap.com

Curtains

Post by Paul » February 27, 2006, 11:00 pm

I have had a request from the UK to source a shop where they might be able to make up some silk curtains. The price for this to be done in the UK was 'astronomical' so they asked me (for some reason) if I can find a shop here in Thailand to do this.

I am of the opinion I would be wasting my time unless there was a soft furnishings type shop here - however this is not Bangkok and Laura Ashley has not even been heard of in Isaan.

My thinking is that there might be a wife or girlfriend in Udon who is 'into' soft furnishings and might be able to take on this task (or know someone who does) I dont relish the thought of conversing with a thai shop explaining what this person in the UK wants (not that I even talk 'curtain language' either LOL.
I am doing the courtesy of asking anyway - so at least I can tell them I made the effort.

I don't expect to be trampled in the rush of replies - but one never knows !

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » February 27, 2006, 11:15 pm

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Curtains

Post by Alagrl » February 28, 2006, 2:03 am

Paul,

I'm not surprised you received this request. Thai silk curtains are the RAGE now. I just put up Thai silk curtain panels across three large windows, and the total cost was:

USD $1240 for Thai silk panels (52" x 84" and 52" x 90"), lined

USD $100 for sheers

USD $500 for wooden curtain rods and curtain rings with clips

Argh! I was thinking the entire time that a skilled seamstress in Udon could have fixed me up at 1/3 the cost!

Here's my suggestion (since I've sewn a lot myself) -- have your UK contact provide the exact dimensions of the windows, as well as the type of rods/rings to which the curtains will be attached; a photo of a similar window treatment would be helpful. Also, have him/her send you ONE sample panel -- this will allow you to show a local seamstress the construction desired, i.e., type of lining, whether the lining is sewn in or hangs loose, whether the top of the curtain needs to accommodate rod pockets, type of side and hem stitching, etc. The cost of the sample panel will be more than made up by the savings on materials and labor, as well as aggravation prevention.

(The dimensions I noted above are pretty standard USA curtain panels -- widths might vary from 48" to 52", the lengths are usually 48", 64", 84" and 96".)

Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you.

SHARA

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 28, 2006, 2:56 am

So... you are sorted then Paul.... :lol:

:wink:

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Curtains

Post by Alagrl » February 28, 2006, 4:45 am

Right! Because if you sound like you know what you're talking about, and your contact in the UK has to do that much work to get such a great deal, he/she may think twice about asking... :twisted:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 28, 2006, 11:42 am

You know Paul I think you have a talent, this sounds about as easy as raising funds for the school. I would say you had tried. So many things can go wrong, what if the buyer on the other end is not happy with the end product. Who are they going to go to the shop owner here I doubt it. Probably you will get the burden of working everything out just as a interior decorator would.

If you are talking about a business maybe, but if not this looks like a really good way to lose a friend.

Do you know beyond the cost of manufactoring what the import costs are if any?

The prices that were qouted were those prices in Udon?

The answer is that it could be done, but it's custom work and so much can go wrong. With the distances involved your friend would be better off taking a vaction and getting them done themselves. It may well be worth it.

A good example is the bike you just looked at, to you it was far from perfect, but to the guy who customized it was perfect in his eyes. So perfection is in the eye of the beholder, risky place to be middle man, paid or not.

valentine

Post by valentine » February 28, 2006, 11:53 am

Sounds complicated, and Rays right you can only lose either way. Can I suggest the person wanting them not only comes here for a holiday but brings the seamstress with her. If there not perfect when finished, not your fault. I know you have your own source of silk, but if they are perfectionists, in our village we have the spinner makes all the material for the Queen and has her endorsement certs for the last 3 years. Would be happy to give you the address.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 28, 2006, 8:08 pm

ray23 wrote: So many things can go wrong, what if the buyer on the other end is not happy with the end product. Who are they going to go to the shop owner here I doubt it. Probably you will get the burden of working everything out just as a interior decorator would.

The answer is that it could be done, but it's custom work and so much can go wrong. With the distances involved your friend would be better off taking a vaction and getting them done themselves. It may well be worth it.

A good example is the bike you just looked at, to you it was far from perfect, but to the guy who customized it was perfect in his eyes. So perfection is in the eye of the beholder, risky place to be middle man, paid or not.
Your thoughts mirror mine Ray
They actually told me the reason for asking me (I am an engineer not a bloody dressmaker !) was that my attention to detail and quite high standards would ensure they got a very good end result.
Good for them but a lot of work for me I suspect!

Hopefully my reply to them that there are many factors which could spell 'curtains ' for them and therefore hinted that I would prefer it if they didn't leave this task to me.
I await the reply :?

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”