Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Thailand news, views and comments
fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Re: Aussie in jail for stealing a Bar Mat in Phuket

Post by fatbas***d » May 20, 2009, 8:09 am

But according to the post from thai viza (see above)....she has had no food for 4 days.according to lawyers...
Thai Viza isn't exactly the source of all reliable news. ](*,) In fact if you read anything there, take a large pinch of salt.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 20, 2009, 9:38 am

This is getting a lot of news time here in Oz at the moment. With this being the start of our winter, many people take off to Asia for there Holidays and after Bali Thailand is the preferred destination. There will be people who have no knowledge of Thailand or it's people and laws who will be scared off by this. The Authorities are doing themselves no favours. Someone should step in and just send the Woman home and forget about saving face !!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 20, 2009, 9:49 am

Yes, I noticed that they did rather a long piece about it on the Aussie channel News last night.
Including interviews with her family & the owner of the 'Aussie' bar as well.
If I had never been to Thailand the piece would certainly not have been something that would have encouraged me to come here, that is for certain.

Casper
udonmap.com

Post by Casper » May 20, 2009, 3:54 pm

Maybe the Thai police are sick of all the Bad mouthed Aussies that go to Pa Tong.

Hope this keeps this type of person away from Thailand.

Keep up the Good Work only a couple of thousand to go.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 20, 2009, 4:22 pm

So not an Aussie fan Casper.

And agree on the bad press for first time tourists coming from Oz...it don't look good, but you need to understand the whole behaviour thing.
And 30 AS $ for a stinking beer mat...!!... :-s

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 20, 2009, 6:33 pm

1000 baht fine and 6 months suspended jail sentence. Free at last, free at last. Thank the governor of Phuket, you are free at last.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 21, 2009, 2:45 am

Hello udon im back, after my detention. I read the aussie bar owner at 1st pressed charge's but later dropped them this must only be bad publicity for him being an aussie and wanting a fellow aussie a married woman that is, jailed, what is the feelings of the aussies as to his actions and do you think his reputation is damaged.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 21, 2009, 2:53 am

vlad wrote:Hello udon im back, after my detention. I read the aussie bar owner at 1st pressed charge's but later dropped them this must only be bad publicity for him being an aussie and wanting a fellow aussie a married woman that is, jailed, what is the feelings of the aussies as to his actions and do you think his reputation is damaged.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Were you sin binned Vlad? Anyway welcome back. :wave:

Ahem, now back to Trevor McDonald in the studio and Aussie beer mats. :-#

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 21, 2009, 3:08 am

lol cheers irish yes i was a naughty boy.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 4:06 am

did read a report that the beer mats where valued at 50-60 Oz dollars....they are a bit of thin rubber with pictures on them.
And welcome back vlad....mind you i never noticed you where gone.. :lol: only pulling ya plonker..well leg actually, as i am not that way inclined.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 4:22 am

Panick over....Stinky Bar Mat Mum Going Home

http://www.abc.net.au
An Australian mother of four is on her way home to Melbourne after a nearly three week ordeal fighting theft charges in the Thai resort town of Phuket.

Thirty-six-year-old Annice Smoel appeared before the Phuket Provincial Court yesterday afternoon.

The ABC understands she pleaded guilty to the charges of stealing a bar mat at a popular Australian pub in Phuket on May 2.

She was given a six-month suspended sentence with a good behaviour period of two years and was fined the equivalent of about $40.

Mrs Smoel protested her innocence but was still charged by police, who say she and her friends were drunk and abusive.

They deny the accusations.

Thai Immigration Police completed her deportation paperwork last night and returned her passport, allowing her to leave the holiday town.

Ms Smoel was celebrating her mother's 60th birthday with friends who played a practical joke on her by putting the bar mat in her handbag.

The incident has caused embarrassment for Thailand, with police criticised for being heavy handed and being slow to process the case.

But it has also shone a spotlight on the behaviour of Australians travelling in Thailand.

saint
udonmap.com
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Post by saint » May 21, 2009, 6:02 am

not much really changes does it !!!!!! if she had done the same thing in england 230 years ago , she would of suffered the same sad fate .

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » May 21, 2009, 6:49 am

If the owner of the Aussie Bar first pressed chages and thsi becomes known, then I thnik Aussies while give his bar a miss - I will.

She was stupid to not show respect to police (if this is true), but for the bar owner to set police on her seems harsh. Tourist Police in Patong usually seem fairly laidback to me.

Bar owner was on TV in Aus and seemed adamant he was dealing with a thief and that she got waht she deserved.

"Aussie Bar" is a name Ausssie will remember.

Lesson for me: Behave properly in Thailand.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » May 21, 2009, 7:28 am

Steveway2, please get your facts straight. I have a friend who was there at the time:
The lady's friends put the bar towel into her bag. The lady was seen with the bar towel by bar staff and the police searched her bag. The bar owner did not press charges - he was not even in the bar at the time. The lady became abusive towards the police, a simple apology would probably have sufficed. She was then asked to accompany the police to the police station, (an apology would still probably have sufficed, but no). and she did a runner - the cops chased her down Bangla Rd onto the beach. At this stage they took her back to the police station where she became even more abusive. They put her in the clink to cool her off. No charges were ever pressed by the Aussie Bar, but by this stage it was too late anyway.

So before people blame Steve, one of the owners of the Aussie Bar, make sure you know what you are talking about and don't write crap.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 21, 2009, 8:01 am

Unfortunately, whether or not Mr Steve of the Aussie Bar pressed charges, is probably a moot point by now.

From reading reactions on other forums (? fora), he is far from the most popular Australian in Thailand amongst potential Aussie tourists. Whilst he will no doubt retain the patronage of the local Phuket hardcore, he may struggle to get any visits from the tourists.

Return to “Thailand News”