staying in udon

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
patayapete
udonmap.com

staying in udon

Post by patayapete » April 22, 2006, 3:54 am

hi ladies and gents
this is my second post so i guess i should say hello to all the u t forumites :wave:
i'm hoping to travel to udon in july and plan to stay a month or so,i have pm some members for info on various subjects but need a wider view on this one.after reading the reviews on accommodation i'd setteld on the bb resort for my stay as most reviews were good then the other day i read f..bsd post which described unusable pool, poor service ect, i haven't confirmed my booking as yet but if anyone can give me an update before the end of june i'd be obliged.cheers

golden gate
udonmap.com

Post by golden gate » May 10, 2006, 3:16 pm

Why don't you try Silver Reef B&B it is a brand new building accross from bus station and 5 min from Robinson, close to evrything like bar and restaurant you can just walk to night market, save money on Tuk Tuk.
I think monthly rate is 12,000 B included power and water and daily cleaning................plus a good service with English speaking staffs.

Have a good day

golden gate

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » May 10, 2006, 9:39 pm

stayed at Top Mansion after relentless search of a decent place to sleep. from my experience, it was a fairly clean place with a queen size bed (but mattress not that soft). the girls at the counter were very sweet and helpful. no swimming pool. when i was there they started to have a computer/internet room with about 6 computers. you can get their info under Accomodation in this website. have fun and good luck!

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 10, 2006, 9:45 pm

AEK Udomn also has monthly apartemtns avialble close in seems to me like somewhere around 400o K a month, Banpeang is staying there so anote to him would probably get you better info. That is very close to downtown, skipping all the bad reviews on BB, if you don't have your own transporation you are stuck after 1800. Tuks Tuks are no where to be found and the baht buses stop running.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 11, 2006, 1:53 pm

Staying at Charoensri Grand Royal and very satisfied with it especially since we're only here for a few weeks. Getting their weekly rate of 1120 baht per night with breakfast included for wife and I so, if eat breakfast everyday, then the room cost is about 800 baht. Nice swimming pool, next to mall, close to night market and a lot of good restaurants and bars.

Brian seems satisfied at the AEK Hospital apartments and cost is reasonable if staying for more than a month. BB Resort looks like a good, economical place to stay although, as mentioned by others, you need transportation. Has swimming pool and tennis court.

Any bad places to stay in Udon? Guess we don't want to get into that, especially if they're a sponsor, eh? :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » May 11, 2006, 3:45 pm

I was recently approached on the street in the town centre by an obvious backpacker type who pointed to a place in his Lonely Planet and asked how to get to a rather grandiose sounding hotel The Elite something or other.The price quoted was 40bht a night, yes one dollar. Firstly the book was out of date by 7 years and i told him not to expect that price now, things have changed. He then compounded his error by asking me "Was it any good?" He seemed surprised when I replied" How the hell would I know, what do you expect for a dollar?"Takes all sorts :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 11, 2006, 6:41 pm

I stayed at one of the lower end hotels in Udon about 8 years ago, I was teaching English at the time and living on a shoestring. It was a Chinese style place and I think I paid about 80 baht for the room; it had shared bathrooms, stains all over the walls and an old rickety ceiling fan. It was an experience to say the least but one I wish to never go through again.

These days Udon has a great choice of budget hotels and cheap rooms for rent. You can find a nice air-con room for just 280 baht per night with cable TV, hot shower and fridge. I think I

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » May 11, 2006, 7:42 pm

if theres any backpackers reading this thread ,
the Lotus Condotel has another hotel "lotus house" 199 baht a night ,2.500 a month
tel 042246677 ... 047874977
www.udonmap.com

patayapete
udonmap.com

Post by patayapete » May 12, 2006, 5:28 am

i supose i want the best of both worlds,somewhere with a pool thats away from the bright lights,
but is not so far that when the mood takes me i can use bus/taxi's
to get from a to b. i reckon the thomas resort is as near as i'll get
its just the transport at night i'm unsure of?cheers.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 12, 2006, 9:47 am

patayapete wrote:i supose i want the best of both worlds,somewhere with a pool thats away from the bright lights,
but is not so far that when the mood takes me i can use bus/taxi's
to get from a to b. i reckon the thomas resort is as near as i'll get
its just the transport at night i'm unsure of?cheers.
Thomas takes all of his guests into town for free (I think he has a private saamlaw service) and there are plenty of taxis about town that can take you back. :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 13, 2006, 9:56 am

averagejoe wrote:stayed at Top Mansion after relentless search of a decent place to sleep. from my experience, it was a fairly clean place with a queen size bed (but mattress not that soft). the girls at the counter were very sweet and helpful. no swimming pool. when i was there they started to have a computer/internet room with about 6 computers. you can get their info under Accomodation in this website. have fun and good luck!
Last June and July I stayed at several Udon Thani hotels, including Top Mansion and agree with previous comments. At under 300B per night, Top Mansion is a good value and is well located. As their rate was already low, they only reduce the per night rate by 10B for long stays.

The Irish Clock hotel is a few shop houses away, The City Lodge hotel a few minutes walk, and you can walk to the Robinson complex from there.

I didn't care for the hard (or extra firm) bed, but I slept well. I would describe it as a 4-inch pad or mattress on a solid platform, not the usual mattress and springs. If I return there, I will request they provide two pads rather than one. That may be the remedy.

I expeect to be back in Udon Thani in about two weeks and will likely stay at The City Lodge, although I'm also considering the Irish Clock and Mono Place.

Hope to meet and have a few beers with you board members.

Thomas

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » May 13, 2006, 11:01 am

lucky you TJ! wish i could be there again this year but unfortunately i can't. my gf is from there but don't want to stay at her house. next time there, i will probably return to Top Mansion again. however, the only thing i don't like about that location is it's close to the night market and can get really loud. but for that price, i guess i shouldn't be picky. but don't know of any other place can is any quieter and cheap! however, ifyou love larb duck, the lady across the street from Top Mansion makes 1 of the best in town. my gf and i gives it 2 thumbs up. but i'm definitely visiting again next year. have fun!

AJ

TC
udonmap.com

Post by TC » May 13, 2006, 10:29 pm

Farang wrote
if theres any backpackers reading this thread ,
the Lotus Condotel has another hotel "lotus house" 199 baht a night ,2.500 a month
tel 042246677 ... 047874977
Well as we seem to be attracting the best elements of Pattaya to Udon these days, we may as well go the whole hog and see if we can get half of Khosan road up here as well.

TC

Do I sound twitter and bisted? :roll:

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”