udon pool league -season three

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
papaguido
udonmap.com

Re: udon pool league -season three

Post by papaguido » December 25, 2009, 6:23 am

Glyn wrote:652 you make me laugh.

No.1 you're also out of town (ie. not in walking distance of the centre) so you of all teams should make an effort to appear. Ok so ER is a 100-120bt ride away from the centre, but you're probably 50-60bt ride, so for 50bt with 3 people on board and we're not worth the effort. Nobody asked you to join the pool league, you volunteered. I wonder if you'll say no to the 8-10 customers I bring to your bar when we play you at home (ASK ANYONE i COME WITH SPECTATORS EVERY WEEK NOT JUST A TEAM) If between 3-4 persons you find it hard to cough up the extra 50bt on a sam-laaw that is pretty dire!
IMO, I consider everything outside of the ring road to be out of the way and as I understand it there was one other team that forfeit for the same reason, but they made an effort to call and cancel. I agree that there is no excuse not to have made that phone call, but someone dropped the ball. As far as I'm aware I'm the only team member that reads this forum and I have passed on your sentiments to the bar manager.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 25, 2009, 7:19 am

No.1 you're also out of town (ie. not in walking distance of the centre)
do we live in the same town, as most know, i am fairly lazy, and i would easily walk to the night market or mall from 652, or even from the house, a mere 5 kms away. though a ride back home, since uphill.

if it came down to taking a tuk tuk to ER, that would be one hell of a ride, and 200 baht. i would think if anyone cared to show up, we have our own transportation, now parking may be a problem out there. the prison atmosphere doesn't help either.

the phone call, yes, unfortunate it got overlooked, but if i remember correctly, and this is not an excuse, you are in one of the dead zones in udon, either towers not up to par, or military base putting out more juice and interfering with towers, as i recall having problems calling sangkaew restaurant, when there was actually a good reason to visit the area.
I pass your bar regularly and it appears to me that you should be doing all you can to promote your business, today I saw Barry & Don (JJs) drinking at the bar and this was the most activity I've ever seen there.
you really do enjoy trying to make yourself look better by knocking other businesses you know nothing about, threads about 'most expensive bar' orange moon, remember that one, a fellow sponsor, and i'm no mathmetician, but i'm sure 652 does a much better business than your out of the way prison. a regular clientel of 5-10 customers everytime i pass. this, with no internet, not website, no promotion, no advertising, simply word of mouth in all of 6 months time. if someone wants to know how to run a busines, Jim and Nok are the ones to ask how. good food and beverages at competitive prices, open air feel to it and a bit of eye candy if that's your thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » December 25, 2009, 9:08 am

LA u and me need to talk face to face, I won't say no more than that - just name your place and I'll make the effort to come and see you, you obviously have issues with me that I do not wish to discuss in open forum.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 25, 2009, 9:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » December 25, 2009, 9:59 am

LA, you and I get along well, no problems with each other, but your comment about the Retreat being in a dead zone is a bit lame. I've never had a problem receiving or making calls in that area.
For the record i travel from one side of town to the other to play home games at the Retreat. My choice I know, but it is frustrating when I do it for nothing. For your team, what's one journey outside the ring road for the whole of the pool season?
I'm sure the guys who organise the league would not be happy if they knew you would be selective on what venues you visited when you joined the league.
You have to admit, 652 have not come out of this looking good.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » December 25, 2009, 10:28 am

Galee, we're in a country where fuel costs 30bt a litre, minimal traffic (esp. if you avoid town), as you say you come over regularly (cos you're not affraid to spend money on a litre of fuel). Anyway LA doesn't even play for the team, his reason for his comments go much deeper, and he decided to go totally off topic to take a hit at me and The Retreat, but LA and I will discuss the matter in a mature manner face-to-face, and we'll leave this thread for what it was intended - to discuss the UT pool league. Still waiting on a time and place LA my number is in the book, and yes I've always got an excellent signal, so call, email, PM me up to you!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 25, 2009, 10:36 am

let me say, i'm not a member of pool team, and though it was a while ago, i did have problems calling that area, but as i stated, not an excuse, and quite some time ago, and a call should of been made. i believe because one member was not available to play, and the rest was 'lack of interest', but that is my personal opinion, and not speaking for 652. i'm not a schedule kind of person, and looking at the pool league schedule, it is a bit daunting, and quite long. especially for those like myself, that take 3 months a year off for beach time. i'm surprised there are not more forfeitures, or there may be, i just don't follow it.

my thoughts on glyn's previous thoughts of wasted food, from that other forum, as someone mentioned it, and paraphrased, but self explanatory.
652 forfeiting a pool match. i almost broke down and posted on the 'other thread'. i was at 652 approximately at 4:30 ish, and the forfeiture was already decided, for simple, 'lack of interest', read into what you want. though, quite immaterial. figure you have your regulars crew there, and some sardies (guessing brit for sandwiches), how does it turn into a bad evening, just because 6 fellow shooters decided to pass. the mention of sardies trashed, and wasted, well, so much for caring for your regulars, possibly some guest staying there, and of course the staff wouldn't mind a munch, as it was prepped for exactly that reason. i'm sure anything left over, would keep nicely in frig till another fine free lunch the next day, so trashing good food is a bit extreme. nothing surprises me. just my thoughts, IMHO.

the evening at 652, was very festive and entertaining in deed, little birthday celebration for myself, and another great evening with excellent host.

doesn't ER have a lot of other team forfeit when they host, not a good sign of a good night out.
since we have shot pool together, no need to wonder why, beside the schedule thing, why i'm not a participant of the league. plus, the rules which are played by, doesn't leave a lot of skill involved, more a game of chance, any ball, any pocket, ball in hand for any infraction. but TIT. yank 8 ball for me, though i still suck at that also. to be young again.

just my own personal thoughts and opinions, Gary, ring me or pm me, as i have some music for you. :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 25, 2009, 11:04 am

typing at the same time. if you would like a face to face, i have not problem with that. MY RULES THOUGH.

at my house, i have 16 oz gloves, if you prefer 8 oz, please bring 2 sets, along with head and mouth gear. there will be a 2nd, the only other person allowed to attend, my landlord, border police officer, so i trust him to hold the ENTRANCE FEE. 250,000 BAHT EACH, winner take all, i don't get out of bed for less. 3 min rounds, 2 min break, yank rules, KO or TKO, no split decision, no time limit, last man standing. if this is agreeable let me know. you will be required to sign off on some paperwork, basically for my protection, you find out why, but shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why i need to protect myself, also you will agree to medical check up after the fun, at your expense, full chest and abdominal x-ray, to insure no internal injuries incurred that may be life threatening. be careful what you wish for. 8)

it will be basically a steel cage match, lol, as there is steel grating, and the rest is enclosed by block wall. the open section will be blocked off, leaving a decent ring, but bit smaller than regulation. slight advantage to me, since i don't dance as well, and believe you will have a very slight reach advantage.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » December 25, 2009, 11:36 am

I don't think my post was threatening or even implied a fight, some people need to grow up. LA you may think you are funny, but constantly trying to trash my business is no laughing matter. You've never drunk, ate, stayed or swam at my place so your opinion is pointless. Now I am very serious when I say we need to talk like grown men. We obviously have a major difference of opinion, but trashing my business is an open forum is not the answer, you need to meet with me and discuss your issues. So your choice is stop trashing my business and remove all posts that could possibly effect my business or meet with me. I know you rarely go out but our paths will cross whether be it an arranged meeting or not.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 25, 2009, 12:20 pm

I don't think my post was threatening or even implied a fight
you are correct, that is the second time i misunderstood your meaning of meeting, though must be my thinking, as the only reason to meet in person. as we really don't agree or have anything to verbally to say to each other. since suggesting a meeting for a second time, at least in open forum instead of a nasty gram, well, obviously i was thinking you insinuated something else. my misunderstanding.
I know you rarely go out but our paths will cross whether be it an arranged meeting or not.
still sounding a little ominous, but hey, i'm not very hard to find. though can't imagine what we would talk about. as we obviously have little respect for each other. and yes, i have been at ER a couple time, though not as a customer. something you won't have to worry about in the future.

if i could, i would delete every post i have on this site, though a few are informational, so i'll leave that up to the powers to be. but if one is deleted, i would insist on the rest to follow, not just things in reference to ER, which, until i received 1st hand knowledge, actually endorsed/recommended ER a couple times, if distance/transportation wasn't a concern. but your lack of reading comprehension must of missed that, as it usually does, from the numerous pm's we exchanged.

as before..........NO NEED TO REPLY, i'm bored already. have a pleasant day 8)

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 25, 2009, 12:51 pm

Good grief, if someone or a team doesn't want to travel the huge distance of around 10 mins from town to play a game as scheduled, what are they doing on the roster and in the league?

As for the ER and Glyn - top place, top bloke, top pool table and surroundings. If you're not prepared to travel all of 10 mins, you're missing out.

Glyn - Happy Christmas and all the best to the wife and kids!

Cheers
Phil

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » December 25, 2009, 1:37 pm

Many thanks Phil, same to you and family, is it correct you have a second edition to the family or is it still in development (lol)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » December 25, 2009, 4:23 pm

Is this grown men whining about playing a game? I thought I had tuned into a thread about a pee-wee league. :lol:

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 25, 2009, 6:25 pm

Hi Glyn,

Well, I've inherited a 7yo lass from Rossarin's first Thai marriage - great girl and I think of her as mine and she calls me papa - we get on really well. Plus we've had a little girl of our own - she's now 15 months old, as white as me and cute as a button. As for working on another - wish I had the chance! I'm currently back in Oz for a while and not sure when I'm back.

It's about time I came up to yours, joined the gym, got in shape, taught the girls how to swim and joined the pool league! And take up some golf. I'll come around for a beer/chat when I'm back. D&N is ok sometimes, but it's nice to go somewhere quieter with the wife and kids. Hey, it's a long way from when I saw the concrete shell under construction through to completion and I'm glad it's going so well for you.

Take it easy mate and lets all have a great 2010.
Cheers
Phil

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » December 26, 2009, 12:46 am

laphanphon wrote:typing at the same time. if you would like a face to face, i have not problem with that. MY RULES THOUGH.

at my house, i have 16 oz gloves, if you prefer 8 oz, please bring 2 sets, along with head and mouth gear. there will be a 2nd, the only other person allowed to attend, my landlord, border police officer, so i trust him to hold the ENTRANCE FEE. 250,000 BAHT EACH, winner take all, i don't get out of bed for less. 3 min rounds, 2 min break, yank rules, KO or TKO, no split decision, no time limit, last man standing. if this is agreeable let me know. you will be required to sign off on some paperwork, basically for my protection, you find out why, but shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why i need to protect myself, also you will agree to medical check up after the fun, at your expense, full chest and abdominal x-ray, to insure no internal injuries incurred that may be life threatening. be careful what you wish for. 8)

it will be basically a steel cage match, lol, as there is steel grating, and the rest is enclosed by block wall. the open section will be blocked off, leaving a decent ring, but bit smaller than regulation. slight advantage to me, since i don't dance as well, and believe you will have a very slight reach advantage.
oh my god are you aven a laugh stumpy ,youve made a right fool of your self with this post,im going red reading your post :oops: :oops: your a little man who hides behind his keyboard,and goes no were and does nothing ,forget about the 8 oz gloves if you want it pm me stumpy upto you anytime,your a sad man happy to slag fellow falangs off who are trying to make a living(or making a living)so once again shorty pm me ,you silly LITTLE man,no not so much little more of an egg on legsxxx

Stef
udonmap.com

Post by Stef » December 26, 2009, 1:53 am

I'm gonna really upset someone with this one, can't wait for the fall out. Inspired by WBU ALUM (######) I think obama is the best thing that happened to USA since Clinton. Good luck to the US under his control, they need a man like him in their time of need! I don't hesitate he has the ability to sort things out, question is will the people give him the chance. U guys gotta wake up, whites don 't rule the world and not all women are objects of your desire. Small-dik-syndrome is something you gotta get over by yourselves.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » December 26, 2009, 2:05 am

Red this is not a fight zone, don't bring yourself to that level, Stef keep your politics for down the gym (you know it makes sense). Can we keep this thread solely for UD pool league and things relating to it. Cueball does an excellent job organising and keeping it all together, this is his thread, I know I started the ranting but it was related so come on guys lets get back on topic.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 27, 2009, 11:02 pm

This weeks league table and results update. We are now at the half way stage, so good luck to everyone for the second half, but most of all ...... have fun :lol:
Attachments
poolwk13.JPG
poolwk13.JPG (234.32 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 3, 2010, 2:44 pm

Updated results/tables after week 14
Attachments
poolwk14.JPG
poolwk14.JPG (226.29 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 3, 2010, 11:19 pm

please correct me if i'm wrong, as i'm a bit ignorant on how to read the stats, but it appears, when it comes to teams forfeiting games, ER, seems to be #1 in teams not showing up to play against them. hmm, must be a very talented crew over there. :D

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”