Editorial on Dengue Fever from Bangkok Post

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 7, 2006, 1:47 pm

Good out come!Nasty little disease,has to be caught early!The child still there probably wasn't brought in soon enough.Cheers for your recovery!

valentine

Post by valentine » September 7, 2006, 1:58 pm

Businessman. Did the doctors tell you whether you would have any sort of future immunity now you,ve had the disease. :?:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 7, 2006, 2:06 pm

My blood test after one week out of hospital shows i now have Dengue anti bodies to fight any future episode.They do not start to appear until the third day so you have to sit in hospital for three days feeling like ---- without any confirmation as to what is wrong.

You know you have it because the symptoms are quite specific and i will run through what they were for me:

1) Initially a total loss of appetite which is very odd for me.Howver i felt totally fine for half a day.Lunch passed and i still eat nothing.Evening meal approached and i knew something was wrong as i had eaten nothing all day and still had no appetite.
2)Then i suddenly felt very weak and lay down and did not get up again. A headache started that did not stop for four days. :(
3)Morning felt like total ---- and went to the Ek Udon with a fever,bad headache,no appetite and feeling very weak.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 7, 2006, 8:23 pm

Businessman, Glad your back up and about again Ok :). Sorry to hear of your illness.

Our young daughter seems to have had some sort of milder version. She has been sick for a week, running very high temperatures, and we made 2 trips to AEK, but she finally went back to school today. Your illness sounded much worse. Glad you are Ok now.

I took out Medical Insurance last year through E-Insure Thailand, who are apparently a breakaway movement from BUPA, with better limits and lower premiums. They are part of Thai Health Insurance Co Ltd. What I liked was that everything was written and explained in English, and you did not have to include Life Assurance like with many Thai Ins coys.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Dengue and Dengue like symptoms

Post by FrazeeDK » September 7, 2006, 8:53 pm

The wife exhibited Dengue like symptoms starting two weeks ago.. the whole gamut, headache, raging fever, body aches that were so bad she would cry like a baby.. After about 6 days the symptoms subsided then came back 2 days later with mild body pain and outbreaks of an itching rash.. Early blood tests showed no Dengue, a blood test a week on showed no Dengue.. The Doc could only say, "Well, it's some type of viral infection, it should go away in a few days.".. He then elaborated on a slew of other Dengue-like viral infections that I'd never heard of...
During the course of the wife's symptoms I did much research on the disease finding out more and more as I put in specific phrases "Dengue and rash", "Dengue and lymph swelling", et al..
In answer to one repeated question above about "gaining immunity".. In researching the disease, yes you can gain an immunity to the particular strain of Dengue that you're infected with.. However, since the virus is constantly evolving, much like influenza, in 8 months to a year, the local mosquitoes will be carrying a slightly different Dengue virus that you won't be immune to...
The early folks in the string are quite correct. It's Tylenol for fever and Ibuprofen for severe pain.. And watch your intakes as ingesting more than 2 grams (4 500mg tabs) in a day can affect your liver functions badly..
The wife seems to have leveled out.. She's merely quite fatigued now. Perhaps by next week she'll be back at work..
Dave

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 7, 2006, 9:17 pm

arjay wrote:Businessman, Glad your back up and about again Ok :). Sorry to hear of your illness.

Our young daughter seems to have had some sort of milder version. She has been sick for a week, running very high temperatures, and we made 2 trips to AEK, but she finally went back to school today. Your illness sounded much worse. Glad you are Ok now.

I took out Medical Insurance last year through E-Insure Thailand, who are apparently a breakaway movement from BUPA, with better limits and lower premiums. They are part of Thai Health Insurance Co Ltd. What I liked was that everything was written and explained in English, and you did not have to include Life Assurance like with many Thai Ins coys.
:) Did this policy pay for the 2 trips to AEK?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 7, 2006, 9:28 pm

Did this policy pay for the 2 trips to AEK?
No, they were both 'outpatient' visits and she is a new arrival with us and I have not yet sought to cover her.

I only have cover for inpatient treatment, which would have covered Businessman's circumstances. It is possible to also include 'outpatient treatment', but that would make the cost of the cover much more expensive.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 7, 2006, 9:31 pm

What are your costs for your present policy?

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » September 7, 2006, 9:47 pm

Does anyone know if dengue fever is similar to the yellow fever that has been common in coastal U.S. and Caribbean? It is mosquito-borne and has several levels of severity -- one is the hemorrhagic.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 7, 2006, 9:48 pm

Stan, Cost depends on age and level of cover selected. Better if I Pm you contact details tomorrow. :) Rj

valentine

Post by valentine » September 8, 2006, 7:43 am

arjay wrote:Stan, Cost depends on age and level of cover selected. Better if I Pm you contact details tomorrow. :) Rj
Would appreciate them to Arjay. Thanks.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 8, 2006, 8:57 am

save the pm's and just post, as i am curious myself, although not a big insurance fan. thanks in advance. or fill my in on the to: pm

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 8, 2006, 10:45 am

Found out yesterday that you can get your local amphur to send round the mosquito sprayer for free.Thats in Nong Khai so Udon would be the same i would think.Home and businesses are to be done,no charge even inside the town limits.

AIA insurance does come bundled with 200,000 of life insurance and also pays out 1000 Baht a day cash for each day in hospital.Kids premiums are around 6000/7000 Baht for a 1600 Baht room.

If you could have heard the child screaming next door to me it would focus your mind too.Took four attempts to get my IV drip in due to weak veins walls and there are so many blood tests too.Just too much for a small child.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 8, 2006, 12:52 pm

Regarding Medical Insurance, I have taken out cover through E-Insure Thailand. The guy I dealt with is Tony Dabbs. He is based in Bangkok, but can be contacted/communicated by email, fax or telephone.

May I say I am not an agent and have no vested interest, other than it worked for me.

His contact details are: Tony Dabbs
Tel: 081 927 0829
Fax: 02 574 4547
Email: [email protected]

Their website is: www.e-insurethailand.com

If you access via the above Homepage, you will need to then click on Thai Health Insurance, under the second Insurance Product box down on the leftside. Alternatively, to go straight to the types of cover available and premiums, it is quicker and easier to go straight to this webpage:

http://www.e-insurethailand.com/?page=Thai%20Health

He recommends the "Wealthy Healthy" product. You can select the level of cover, which is based on the nightly cost you want to cover. They generally recommend level WH 3000, which covers 3000 baht per night. That figure should include the room cost per night plus the nursing figure and meals.

So for example, after accessing the above page, click on "Wealthy Healthy", and then on the "3000" figure in red lower down the Wealthy Healthy page, and that will give you the premuims and levels of cover for the particular level of cover (3000 baht per night level).

At AEK for example based on a 1200 baht per night room, the Nursing charges of 600 baht and Meals of 210 baht would need to be added in, bringing the total nightly cost to 2100 baht.

The policy above won't cover people over 70 years of age, but Tony says if you contact him, he can offer cover through alternative companies who do. :)

PS. He speaks American English! :lol:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 8, 2006, 3:14 pm

Just been chatting to my gardener who,apparently,had the "bleeding from every orifice" version of Dengue Fever.It goes by the Thai name "khai leut ork" which literally means blood leaving fever.

Return to “Health & Beauty”