Quotation editing

Udon Thani Forum help, support, rules, & announcements
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Quotation editing

Post by BobHelm » November 21, 2011, 2:53 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:Lee, is there a way to stop quotes from being edited?
Rather than stray further off that particular topic I thought I would post your query here BD.

I have a feeling that once someone presses the 'Quote' button that the quotation becomes editable text.
Lee might know of an add on that is available that prevents that but without that I do not think it is possible.

I think that posters sometimes hit the Quote button & then just start typing oblivious to the fact that their words are being added to the quotation, rather than a response to it. So, in most cases I believe that it is accidental, rather than deliberate. If I or any of the other Mods see an obvious accident occurrence in our general reading then we would normally edit the post without saying anything.
Deliberate alteration of quotations for malicious purposes is often rather more difficult to catch just by a bit of general reading. However it is also clearly against the Forum Rules & if any member reports the post then it will be removed & appropriate action taken against the poster.

In general I actually think that posters re-quote other posters far to often & often unnecessarily. When answering the post above I, personally, find it annoying when a member finds it necessary to re-quote the complete post that is immediately before it. Indeed I usually limit myself to re-quoting someone when I am only answering a specific part of their post, in what might be a post containing a number of differing points....Unfortunately, in order to do that I need the ability to edit the quotation.... :D :shock: which does make it a difficult problem to solve in every case!!!

arjay
udonmap.com

Quotation editing

Post by arjay » November 21, 2011, 8:52 pm

One option could be to do away with the automatic quote function - the quote button. Then posters, if they really wanted or needed to quote something, would be obliged to manually highlight the relevant part and copy & paste it themselves. However, that might cause more problems than it solves, if for example, some members don't know how to copy & paste.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Quotation editing

Post by JimboPSM » November 21, 2011, 10:16 pm

When I use the quote function I nearly always edit the quote down to what I consider to be the salient details – I believe that it helps to reduce UM site bandwidth usage (Lee would know).

As I often see quotes being taken out of context I’ve recently adopted the practice indicating where I’ve edited a quote by inserting a series of periods (e.g. “.....”) to indicate where I’ve deleted text from the original quote so that people can check back to the original quote for its original and full context.

What may be a simple remedy is something which simply detects when a quote has been edited and the text prefacing the beginning of the quote modified accordingly, e.g. “JimboPSM (edited) wrote:” rather than “JimboPSM wrote:” as it now is.

I've edited a simple quote to try and demonstrate how and unedited and edited quote might be prefaced:

Unedited version:
JimboPSM wrote: Test quote 1
Edited version:
JimboPSM (edited) wrote: Quote 1
In my opinion it is not cost effective for software to cover every possible scenario in malicious editing as some people will always find new ways to spin, twist and distort.

However, what may be missed by software can be backed up by member and moderator vigilance.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Return to “Forum Help, Support, Rules, & Announcements”