Coppies House Pasta & Steak

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
bubbles
udonmap.com

Post by bubbles » December 29, 2011, 2:50 am

Will be up in January certainly going there small serves for lunch are great, do they have cold beer and red wine ??

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 29, 2011, 7:46 am

They don't sell/serve beer or wine, but beer may be purchased from the shop next door and consumed at your table. I don't think they'll have a problem if your brought you're own wine, but I'll ask on my next visit.

The selection of beer next door is also limited, as I recall it was Leo, Chang and Heineken (canned, not bottled). I'll also verify that on my next visit.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 29, 2011, 7:52 am

OBTW, to anyone concerned...

The lavatory is Thai style (squatter) and BYOSP :D

bubbles
udonmap.com

Post by bubbles » December 29, 2011, 10:17 am

the toilet is a bit of a problem, especially if they want to cater for falang people, is the toilet clean and smell ??

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 29, 2011, 11:34 am

bubbles wrote:the toilet is a bit of a problem, especially if they want to cater for falang people, is the toilet clean and smell ??
bubbles, the toilet is very clean, but you may want to bring your own paper just in case. I'm sure they don't do the regular timed inspections like they would at McDonalds, so the paper was "out" the last time I visited. The squatty potty is installed under a stairwell, and as always they install them at the wrong angle making it difficult to approach and take care of business.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 29, 2011, 2:33 pm

The Bangkok Bank (on Srisuk) has adequately clean bathrooms next to the parking area. I believe they're equipped with soap/tp as well. Just a few meters up the road from the restaurant.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 29, 2011, 8:37 pm

Dinner at Coppies tonight. Wanting to try something different my wife and I went with "Thai fusion". I had the Chili Basil Spaghetti and my wife had the Curry Fried Prawn Spaghetti. The chili basil was spicy hot (which I ask for) and excellent, my wife enjoyed the curry spaghetti which I found to be so so.

Image Image

Our kids shared a pork steak platter, extra fries and my wife and I split a salad and garlic bread. Plus 3 bottles of water all for under 300bt.

*No problem with the management to bring your own wine (BYOW).

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » December 30, 2011, 7:43 pm

Coppie's will be closed from 13:00 tomorrow until the 4th...we stopped there tonight and said we would pass along this information. :)

Hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year!

KB

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » December 31, 2011, 4:19 am

Thanks for the update PapaG about bringing wine not a problem and also KB about the closing times over the New Year period 8)
I see it was mentioned earlier that the location is only OK,presumably toaking a car just needs extra time to find a parking spot but from all the recommendations,would be no problem parking a little bit further from the restaurant 8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 31, 2011, 5:32 am

pompui wrote:Thanks for the update PapaG about bringing wine not a problem and also KB about the closing times over the New Year period 8)
I see it was mentioned earlier that the location is only OK,presumably toaking a car just needs extra time to find a parking spot but from all the recommendations,would be no problem parking a little bit further from the restaurant 8)
Not too much of a problem in the evenings. A couple of nights last week we didn't have any problems parking directly across the street from Coppie's.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2011, 4:01 pm

During bank hours, you can easily park in the Bangkok Bank parking lot, then a 50m walk out the back gate.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 5, 2012, 7:39 pm

Ate there for the first time today.

Food (carbonara) was excellent, but as everyone has commented, small portion.

Having been forewarned, I also ordered the salad, which I enjoyed. But I wonder if anyone else who has eaten it thought as I did, that the creamy dressing would have been better off in a small jug, rather than spread (copiously) over the top of the salad?

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 5, 2012, 9:21 pm

parrot wrote:then a 50m walk out the back gate.

Much too far for my lovely wife to walk :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 5, 2012, 9:29 pm

jackspratt wrote:Ate there for the first time today.

Food (carbonara) was excellent, but as everyone has commented, small portion.

Having been forewarned, I also ordered the salad, which I enjoyed. But I wonder if anyone else who has eaten it thought as I did, that the creamy dressing would have been better off in a small jug, rather than spread (copiously) over the top of the salad?
I thought so at first, but now I give the salad a good toss dispersing the dressing throughout. You can also ask to have your dressing on the side and not on the salad.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 5, 2012, 9:54 pm

Thanks for that clarification papa.

Next time I will ask for the jug. :D

On another point, are there any comments on the garlic bread (it wasn't available today)?

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » January 5, 2012, 10:43 pm

Garlic bread is good by Thai standards, but be warned it is 'Thai' garlic bread, not real garlic bread. (e.g. garlic, butter and spices on grilled Italian bread) That being said, I order it every time we eat there.

And yes, I thought that (re: dressing) the first time also, but actually it is quite good, and if you toss the salad as Papa says, it is about the right amount for me.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » January 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Very nice food, price, service and atmosphere.

Children friendly where kids can play without disturbing too much, and most chairs and tables seem lower more like for kids or at least smaller people! At most Thai noodle or "steak" joints, forget about letting a child out of their chair, though this place almost looks like a playland.

Some of the fusion pasta dishes look and taste quite sophisticated as well. The pork or chicken steak is quite a complete plate of food given around 60 baht only, with flavor nuances closer to western than Asian influenced, eg buttery corn and veggies.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » February 14, 2012, 9:08 pm

We had dinner there tonight, and just FYI, they have a few new things on the menu, and also now offer breakfast. However, there is some bad news: due to an illness in the family, they have changed their hours from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and are closed on Sunday.

They now offer bruschetta (good!) and some different pasta dishes on their lunch/dinner menu, and allow substitutions of pasta type or meat etc. They also offer two breakfast sets, with eggs (fried or omelet), ham, bacon, sausage, toast (with butter and jam) and coffee or tea for 98 baht, or the Thai hot dogs instead of sausage for 78 baht.

Heh, and their new menus are quite artsy, with pictures and clearer definitions, and with prices maintained within a couple of baht. ;) A good place to eat, but the new times are going to throw a damper on how often we can eat there.

Also, I understand there is a bit of confusion as to what I mean by not 'real' garlic bread. Maybe I have been misled, but my understanding is that garlic bread, by Italian standards, is minced garlic, butter and olive oil, with a bit of rosemary, thyme and parsley, spread on Italian bread and toasted. I was told this by the chef of a very good Italian restaurant in Atlanta. If I have been misled, then would some of our Italian blooded members please set me straight? I do hope this clears up any confusion.

Coppie's garlic bread is butter (flavored?) or oil, and garlic powder I think, but it is very good and we get it every time there, though I think I will now get the bruschetta instead.

KB

bubbles
udonmap.com

Post by bubbles » February 15, 2012, 3:51 am

Called there several times in January but was always closed, rang one time around lunch and he said he was closing may be back after?? Wanted to try it will have to wait till next time in Udon.
Bubbles

jonny_w
udonmap.com

Post by jonny_w » February 15, 2012, 5:57 pm

its open as of Feb2

according to the price and size of portion served on pasta for example, you need to consider it 1/2 price and 1/2 sized portion

a double order of pasta for 120 baht is the right size for 120 baht, a normal order of pasta for 60 baht seems like its 1/2 a portion and not filling for me.

I really like the place, the guy that runs it is one of the most politest Thais I have ever run across

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”