From Thailand to Laos

Information & Travel
marcusb
udonmap.com

From Thailand to Laos

Post by marcusb » August 2, 2012, 7:20 pm

Hello, I have a decent job awaiting in Vientiane. I have lived in Thailand about 4 years now. I am curious about driving across the bridge with my Thai friend in her truck with a full load of my possessions. TV, computer, clothes etc. Is that a big deal or are there any formalities or worse taxes?

Thanks for any input,
marcus

BobHelm
udonmap.com

From Thailand to Laos

Post by BobHelm » August 2, 2012, 7:29 pm

Sorry I have zero experience of trying to do this.
However this site may well answer most of your questions..
http://www.laotradeportal.gov.la/index. ... lay&id=132

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

From Thailand to Laos

Post by Lao-miner » August 3, 2012, 7:09 am

If your possessions are second hand you shouldnt have any troubles, My wife and i regularly buy appliances in udon to bring back to vientiane (tv etc )and its a bit hit and miss at the border , sometimes they want to see what you have in the back of the car but mostly they just wave you through, Appliances are a lot cheaper in udon and customs know this so occasionaly we will get stiffed for the duty, This amount just comes of the top of there head and is also "negotiable"
The wife being Lao and driving a nice car seems to attract more attention than me, If you have any new items i suggest taking them out of the box, Also if you have a full house full of gear to send to vientiane there is a lady in nongkhai who offers a freight service to vientiane reasonably priced, she seems to have the connections , i got her to bring a 6 seater spa that i got at global house , that would of cost me a Motza had i gone through the " official channels"
Let me know if you need her number

marcusb
udonmap.com

From Thailand to Laos

Post by marcusb » August 3, 2012, 8:04 am

Thanks to both of you, good information. The link states that personal effects are fine so it should not be much trouble. Nothing really looks brand new so, fingers crossed, should be good.
marcus

Return to “Laos”