Diphtheria cases reported in Loei & Udon Thani

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Diptheria cases reported in Loei

Post by parrot » November 9, 2012, 1:29 pm

Moderator Note: There were 3 separate threads dealing with Diphtheria. This morning I consolidated all the posts together in this thread.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 9, 2012, 6:25 pm

as usual things are clear as mud. [-o<

chrisny

Post by chrisny » November 9, 2012, 7:20 pm

In a small part of Udon called Ban Lueam, (western part near ringroad) where I live, they talk about 3 people died...Only in this section... (and 50 people in city nearby) I dont know how sure this info is. But temples informs now with there speakers here, that people should go for injection. And small mobiled clinics are setting up.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 10, 2012, 4:07 pm

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/edu/301312, dated 10 November 2012
According to the article, there have been 75 cases of diphtheria reported in 5 different provinces, with 3 deaths reported. Several Amphurs in Loei province have reported cases, with scattered cases reported elsewhere.

FWIW: Our village nurse, who practices during the week at Nongbualamphu Hospital, said 8 people have died in Loei from diphtheria.

Note: I googled Thai websites concerning diphtheria (โรคคอตีบ)......it's quite amazing how diverse the numbers are......25 provinces, 2 deaths, 89 reports, 3 deaths, 5 provinces....the variance in numbers reported is numbing. But in any case, it's apparently serious enough for an all-out vaccination effort in this part of the country. I'm mildly curious why the CDC (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/thailand.htm) isn't reporting anything on the problem.....nor warnings from the US Embassy.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 10, 2012, 6:25 pm

I wondered the same thing. I have to admit the Thai Government acted quickly for Government.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 13, 2012, 8:09 pm

Just a small point, having had the JAB for this today at a school where I occasionally work, I must say that although the information coming from the Thai Govt is at best sketchy, they really must be worried to inoculate nearly all the bloody province FREE, one can only really guess that the scare is real or more real than they are saying, I am not a prophet of doom but it is the first time I can recollect that the Govt is acting this way.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » November 13, 2012, 8:39 pm

it's apparently serious enough for an all-out vaccination effort in this part of the country. I'm mildly curious why the CDC (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/thailand.htm) isn't reporting anything on the problem.....nor warnings from the US Embassy.
I got vaccinated today at the Amphur Medical Clinic in Nong Sam Rong.
However, I just looked at this site: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/asia/thailand.shtml
Netdoctor recommends getting a Diphtheria vaccination three months prior to travel to Thailand.
Does this mean the Diphtheria vaccination I received today, November 13, will take three months to kick in and become effective in preventing my getting Diphtheria???

Netdoctor also wrote:
Recommendations that are marked "Vaccination sometimes recommended" should be considered as "Vaccination strongly recommended" if a person is traveling frequently or spending extended time in that country.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 13, 2012, 9:21 pm

My wife and I had ours done at the local hospital yesterday, the nurse recommended we have booster shots in 4 weeks time. They have a speaker in the village which they will use to let everyone know when the booster vaccines arrive.
Netdoctor recommends getting a Diphtheria vaccination three months prior to travel to Thailand.
They probably say that because you normally have to have 1 or more booster shots one month between immunizations. And they usually take several weeks for the body to build up immunity to the virus.
In general, the normal immune response takes approximately two weeks to work. This means protection from an infection will not occur immediately after immunisation.

Most immunisations need to be given several times to build long lasting protection.
http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/inter ... ontent/faq

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Post by BIGAL » November 13, 2012, 10:08 pm

To start with in most Western countries that I know off we all get the dip vaccination along with polio and tetanus after birth so most of you probably had this a long time ago.

They say you should then have the booster every 10 years or so. Anyway, we also went to the clinic for our injection just to be sure and were told by the nurse it would take 14 days to be protected and then follow up with the booster in 30 days!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 14, 2012, 12:38 pm

Me too definetly more then ten years since I had mine I'm assuming that was when I was in the military, a very long time ago.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 14, 2012, 8:59 pm

BIGAL wrote:To start with in most Western countries that I know off we all get the dip vaccination along with polio and tetanus after birth so most of you probably had this a long time ago.

They say you should then have the booster every 10 years or so. Anyway, we also went to the clinic for our injection just to be sure and were told by the nurse it would take 14 days to be protected and then follow up with the booster in 30 days!
If you have already had a series of shots, either as a child or adult, then you only need a booster every ten years. If you're not sure there is no harm in getting additional vaccinations. DPT vaccinations have been required for school children in the U.S. since I can remember and if you were in the military there is no doubt you had the full range of vaccinations.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Anybody know where the best place is to get the shots here in nongKhai ?

My wife has relatives in Chiang Khan, Loie Province. They say that six Lao have succumbed to the disease at the hospital there and that the villages near the border are being immunized.

chrisny

Post by chrisny » November 16, 2012, 6:57 pm

You Not need go big hospital. Looks like every small district or municipality house around Udon also have a medical reception and there they offer boosters. I did it there. First visit only registration, because looks they have limited of liquid, The day after did the booster. A month later they give you a second one. Free. Passport or and yellow book required.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 16, 2012, 8:01 pm

I just had my shot at the local clinic, but no mention of a follow up????

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » November 17, 2012, 9:18 am

Udon hospital has no more vaccine, yesterday they told me, run out for 2 days ago and dont know when they get again

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » November 22, 2012, 9:13 am

I had my shot last week (for free), and the wife and kids are all done. The wife's Dad works for the Govt here in Udon and he's said that there are quite a few people that have died recently from this, but they don't want to spread it all over the news.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 22, 2012, 9:54 am

Philrjones wrote:there are quite a few people that have died recently from this, but they don't want to spread it all over the news.
Ignorance is bliss. If they do not know, they will not worry. *sigh*

KB

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » November 22, 2012, 9:58 am

Well, they seem to be acting quickly and doing something about getting the shots out there. At least that's something. It's probably more to do with negating "bad publicity".

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » November 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

Went to find out about the shots here in NongKhai the other day, was told there is no more vaccine here, I would have to wait for the next round.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 5, 2012, 1:49 pm

Last post before mine, November 22- 2 weeks ago. Does this mean the diptheria problem is finished? My wife and I never did get shots.

Return to “Health & Beauty”