Barber Shops

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by parrot » November 14, 2012, 11:49 am

Help!
I'm ready to give up the ghost on the barbers at Remember Barber, next to the Karin Hotel. I'm pretty sure they all have cataracts as thick as Chang Beer bottle bottoms and more often get what I don't want rather than what I do want, in the way of a haircut. An okay place if you don't mind an unstylish military sort of haircut. Price 80 baht.

I previously went to Paul Dee Hair Beauty & Spa near Tungsrimeuang (Phosri Rd).....the two barbers there did a good job....always what I wanted.....but I quit going there when they seemed to never be there when I was. I recall seeing the place advertised for sale recently, so don't even know if they're still in business. Haircut/wash price about 150 Baht.

I also went to a barber nearly directly across from Udon Pit......gayish sort of barbers like Paul Dee's did an okay job but at twice the price. I seem to remember paying about 250.

I'm not opposed to paying double the standard barber price (80 baht at Remember seems to be more the standard these days). But I'd prefer going into near-zonk-out mode while I get my hair cut rather than keep on eye open to be sure my barber isn't doing a butcher job on me. And, yes, I know I can get my hair cut alongside the road for much less than 80 baht..........been there done that while staring at a near naked photo of a model pouring a bottle of motor oil over her shoulders. It gave me lots to think about while having my hair trimmed.

I'm looking for recommendations in town, but not in the Plaza.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by fatbob » November 14, 2012, 12:07 pm

First thing I check is the legs then the head, if that all looks female and good I'm in, there is only two weeks between a good and bad hair cut.
I used to go to a good shop just north of Ruysuk and across the road, probably not there now, 150 baht cut and wash with good head massage.

lee
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by lee » November 14, 2012, 1:03 pm

parrot wrote:Barber, next to the Karin Hotel.
There is another barber about 300 meters or so from this shop on the same side heading towards Central Plaza. It's on the left just before you turn left onto Adunyadet Road. I'm always happy with the service there. Having said that I don't have much hair for them to mess up. LOL

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=17.4 ... sz=18&z=18[/googlemap]

papaguido
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by papaguido » November 14, 2012, 1:33 pm

There's a barber shop on Srisuk Road I use to frequent until I found a barber shop closer to my house. Always did a good job with a general description of how I wanted my hair cut. My last visit there, there were 3 "old school" barbers and one younger guy.

The shop is next door to a bike shop and opposite 2 or 3 dentist offices on the same block (one of which speaks English & studied in the US...in case you're also looking for a dentist ;) ).

Zidane
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by Zidane » November 14, 2012, 2:29 pm

lee wrote:
There is another barber about 300 meters or so from this shop on the same side heading towards Central Plaza. It's on the left just before you turn left onto Adunyadet Road. I'm always happy with the service there. Having said that I don't have much hair for them to mess up. LOL
I use this barber,as well.......on Wattana Road,on the left,just before the Adunyadet Road lights.I recently had a very good no.4 there and was very pleased with the results (see attached pic).Cost is 80 baht but note it is closed on Wednesdays.
Another one is if you turn left at the Adunyadet Road lights from Wattana Road and about 100 yards or so on the right (near where the old Chern Chim used to be).Cost is 100 baht but you always seem to get different staff in there,meaning quality can vary sometimes.
Haircut in Udon.jpg
Haircut in Udon.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by BigBubba » November 14, 2012, 3:20 pm

If you want a simple "buzz job" for 50 baht there's a one man shop between us (BB&G) and Watana Hospital on the same side of the street. Not a fancy place by any means, but he gets the job done, IMO.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by semperfiguy » November 14, 2012, 4:22 pm

My advice would be to just look for the barber pole on a shop near your home, make sure the price is no more than 80 baht and then sit down and give it a shot. I've been all over town, some highly recommended and some not, and I've yet to get my hair cut "my way". If I do find one that is half decent, the next time I go in he's already quit and moved on. There's no consistency with these guys. They may remember your face but they can't remember how you like your hair cut. I have to explain each and every time how I like it cut, and sometimes I even have to take the scissors and comb and mimic the method. Then I get that Thai smile that means they have just been offended, and they go about to cut it just the way they want to with no regard for my instructions, and I walk away a dissatisfied customer. The average barber only specializes in the schoolboy or military buzz cut, so don't expect to be satisfied with any cut more complicated than that. Chances are the barber is watching TV and carrying on a conversation with two or more other folks in the shop, so since your average Thai can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't expect him to be focused on your haircut. I finally bought a pair of electric dog shears in the market in Nong Khai and taught my wife how to cut my hair. Now I'm a happy camper.

If you do find someone that you like, get his name and number and call him up before you visit the next time to make sure he'll be there. Bad haircuts is definitely on my list of things that most disgust me about Thailand. The list gets longer by the day!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by jackspratt » November 14, 2012, 4:42 pm

My local barber does a perfect job every time. I probably see him about 8 times a year, and a haircut, shave, nose and ear-hair clip costs 100 baht, including tip.

But you have to come to Ban Dung to see him.

ps: sfg, as a former Marine, I would have thought you would have stopped worrying about bad haircuts a long time ago. :D

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by BigBubba » November 14, 2012, 5:02 pm

jackspratt wrote:
ps: sfg, as a former Marine, I would have thought you would have stopped worrying about bad haircuts a long time ago. :D
As my step dad, who retired as a Major from the Marine Corps used to tell me after a trip to the base barber shop, "Quit crying, the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about 4 days".
Every day I wake up is a good day.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by merchant seaman » November 14, 2012, 5:47 pm

A haircut will not make you look any better or any worse, the only thing that will help is a trip to the ATM, then you look very handsome.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by trubrit » November 14, 2012, 6:27 pm

lee wrote:

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=17.4 ... sz=18&z=18[/googlemap]
It's called Udon Barber. The owner is a Chinese guy and you will see all the deities outside the shop. He has 7 chairs so next to no waiting. All the operatives including one female give a reasonable cut, including modern styles. You can also get a good shave there. I personally prefer to have a qualified stylist doing my hair, naturally its a little more expensive , 200bht inc shampoo. I have only found one to my liking and currently he is working in a salon on the corner of the road opposite the AEK hospital. He is the only man working in there .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by semperfiguy » November 14, 2012, 7:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:My local barber does a perfect job every time. I probably see him about 8 times a year, and a haircut, shave, nose and ear-hair clip costs 100 baht, including tip.

But you have to come to Ban Dung to see him.

Actually, Jackspratt, some of the best haircuts I ever had were military haircuts. It's pretty hard to screw up a buzz cut!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCY8hoEmwew
Last edited by semperfiguy on November 14, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 14, 2012, 7:39 pm

I used to go to one across from Tae Wan Daeng and up towards Robinson's 30 yards or so. It cost 60 baht but that was 3 years ago. There were lots of chairs and barbers. A friend's son used to get his hair cut there, and that is how I ended up at this shop.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by jackspratt » November 14, 2012, 7:58 pm

semperfiguy wrote: Actually, Jackspratt, some of the best haircuts I ever had were military haircuts. It's pretty hard to screw up a buzz cut!
Confirmation that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :shock:

There are many reasons when I was younger that I wouldn't have joined the military - and "haircuts" was right up there in the list. :D

udonthani
udonmap.com

Barber Shops

Post by udonthani » November 15, 2012, 9:54 pm

I am using the local on e at Srisuk close to the circle, right side from the runabouts , very loacl only 50Bht, but does a good job, also ear and eybrows is serviced
Moon

Return to “Health & Beauty”