I HAVE FAMILY - Driver/Translator needed....any suggestions?

General Udon Thani topics only!
valentine

Post by valentine » August 8, 2006, 10:53 am

J please remember that the locations mentioned as possibilities, Ku Kaew are pronounced by Thai with a G sound so Goo Gaew is the phonetic translation.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 8, 2006, 11:31 am

Well haven't been able to find that surname or anything remotely like it I;m afraid. The head Registrar in Udon has given me an address where you should, if your adoption was recorded, be able to find out all you need to know. Its
Govt Adoption Agency, Nonthaburi, Bangkok.Their records go back many years and will contain full personal information such as parents names etc.
In the meantime I am following a further possible lead for you. If the village is Ku Kaew then its likely my wife knows the registrar at the local amphoe
(town hall) Will check and let you know.
May I just give a word of caution to you. Wherever you look you will find many claiming to know your family or even claiming to be your relatives, don't be misled it would be like winning the lottery to discover a rich :?: family member from abroad, so whilst maybe not being outright fraud, the relationship could be tentative to say the least.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 8, 2006, 11:54 am

"...it would be like winning the lottery..."

Never have more certain words been written.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 8, 2006, 3:15 pm

Okay J looks like Ku Kaew could be your area, KK itself is the centre of many smaller villages that come under the auspice of its Amphoe. In these villages are numerous families with a surname similar to that you gave, Thaion, the pronunciation threw me as the second syllable 'On has a very soft sound, not at all like the brisk ON, I can;t even start to think how to express it in roman script, but its more drawn out and smoother sound.
Now the problems, the registrar would not divulge any more detailed information without knowing the circumstances surrounding your adoption, he strongly recommends you visit the Adoption Agency in Bangkok first. The reasons for placing any child for adoption can be many and varied, many of them hidden from other family members, all these would be apparent from the adoption records.I don't want to elaborate I'm sure you would realise this for yourself.
Hope you have a nice trip and are, eventually able to know your lost past.

J
udonmap.com

NEW INFO

Post by J » August 10, 2006, 10:00 am

I recently have gotten more details.
I was way off as far as SouthEast of Udon.
It looks like It is SouthWest.

I have made a webpage that I think explains it better than I can post it here since I can't seem to get the HTML to work like I want it.

The page is here:

http://www.seekageek.com/thai.htm

I hope this gets me closer to where I need to go. I would hate to go 1/2 way around the world and be within 1 hour travel by taxi to my family and not be able to find them. If you can, please help.

Thanks,
J

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 10, 2006, 10:11 am

:DJ, No help as to your post.I would just like to commend you and Valentine on your dilgent pursuit of info and your presentations :!:

J
udonmap.com

A little more info on the surname

Post by J » August 10, 2006, 10:47 am

ทุ่งวิไลย์ ไทยอ่อน is supposed to translate to Thungna Thaionon he is a cousin.

SO can anyone tell me WHICH part is the surname of Thaionon?

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » August 10, 2006, 4:51 pm

ไทยอ่อน is the surname Thaion

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » August 10, 2006, 5:31 pm

There is a Ban Khanuan near the southern-most green oval on your map. The link to the map is here.

Click Here

I also found a Khu-Kuan in Taiwan :wink:

Good luck

Brian

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » August 10, 2006, 5:48 pm

I also found the same place 'Ban Kut Khanuan' on Multimap.

Click Here

Sorry about the massive URL's, I cant seem to post any images.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 10, 2006, 6:50 pm

briang wrote:Sorry about the massive URL's, I cant seem to post any images.
Try this when posting long url's:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.udonmap.com/]Visit Udonmap.com![/url]
This will look like:

Visit Udonmap.com!

Or right click on the image and copy the image location i.e. http://mc.multimap.com/cs/mapinfo_th//M ... 00H400.gif
and the wrap it between image tags like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://mc.multimap.com/cs/mapinfo_th//M45/Y75/M45590Y7540S100W700H400.gif[/img]

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » August 10, 2006, 7:29 pm

Thanks Lee, I wondered how the 'img' thingy worked :P

J
udonmap.com

NEW DETAILS !

Post by J » August 14, 2006, 10:31 am

I have finally narrowed it down to ONE area!
I need to go to a villiage between Nong Bua Lamphu and Nong Sang pronunced Ku Kuansoi. Take a look if you know the area.

I need to get a taxi driver that speeks English and can translate.
Can anyone suggest a taxi driver? I will be staying at the Charoen Hotel starting August 23.

What do you guys think of renting a car? This is my first time to Thailand, do you think that I could adjust to Thai traffic/driving? I have driven in the US for 16 years and only hold a US drivers license.

Thanks for the help, I have posted the updated map/info at:
http://seekageek.com/thai.htm

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:36 am

Twan in the lobby of your hotel.

J
udonmap.com

Post by J » August 14, 2006, 10:39 am

So you think Twan would be able to come with me for an entire day? Is this common practice? If so that is great. I just assumed it may be harder to get someone to be there all day.

What is a fair price to utilize an English speaking Taxi for all day? I don't expect specific prices. I just was wondering a ballpark estimation.

Are there translation services in Udon? Or maybe any of you Ex-Pats that wanna go on a little trek?

By the way Thanks Ray23.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:43 am

By the way that is about a two hour drive the road between Udon and Nong Bua lampu, it is in a construction update. That is a very dangerous road to drive on. Not one I would suggest to a driver from the states with no experience with Thai driving.

Unless you can speak Thai which I believe you can't your not going to find this place. it's to small. Be happy with your driver on this trip would be my recommendation.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 14, 2006, 10:53 am

Ok I give up I don't like to get involved in people business, but you insist so I called him.

1,000 baht a day plus the the fuel he uses, that is car and driver.

If you want it tell me and when you coming and what day or days you want him. Give me your name and I will tell him your coming.

I have no idea what fuel costs will be since that really depends on how much driving you end up doing. Thats a close as I can get for you.

If someone knows of a better deal please tell this guy, I really don't like getting into business dealings between two people

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 14, 2006, 11:58 am

Gotta say, 1,000 baht for a car and driver all day is a pretty good deal. We rented a car (no driver) for a day from a rental place near the Chareon Hotel and it cost 1200 baht, plus the tank was empty when we got the car.

J, its good that you have narrowed down your search area. That will keep you from running all over the countryside chasing clues.

When you find your relatives, they may be surprised if you don't want to spend a day or two at their home.

By the way, it would be seen as a particularly thoughful act if you were to bring small gifts from the U.S. for your grandmother and two aunts. They could then spend the next several weeks talking to the neighbor ladies about their grandson/nephew and his thoughful gifts.

J
udonmap.com

Post by J » September 29, 2006, 7:18 am

Thank you Ray!
Twan the driver/translator was great.
I found my family!
The place ended up being called Kut Kwang Soi
Tiny place. I stayed in the villiage for 4 days.

If you want to see a pic:
http://www.seekageek.com/082-web.jpg

If you all get bored and wanna look at more pics:
http://www.seekageek.com/thailand2006.htm

Check out the clothes and TukTuk I bought for my family.
I was also able to donate things and money to the school I would have went to.

I will try and write up a summary of it all.
This trip changed my life, I am headed back July 07!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 29, 2006, 8:12 am

Excellent news J, I look forward to reading all about it. I like the photos, there are some interesting ones in there.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”