in need of help making a british passport for my thai baby

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
hdmarks

Post by hdmarks » October 22, 2011, 7:34 pm

in need of help making a british passport for my thai baby.
Does any one have experience with making a British passport for a thai baby in Thailand or the UK?
i am in London, my wife is in Udonthani. i am returning to Thailand over christmas.
i will be applying for a settelment visa for my wife.
i would like to make a british passport for my child before making the visa application.
is there a way of making a British passport for my thai baby in the uk?
any help would be great.
thanks H

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » October 22, 2011, 10:57 pm

OT has read your book twice and thought it was something else - had me falling off my chair with laughter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/celeb ... -hell.html

How come your having a problem with passports ?

OT................ \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 23, 2011, 12:21 pm

All the details you need are on the C2 Application form.
Your biggest prob will be to get someone to authenticate the photo's (that's after you get the baby to sit still long enough to have the pic taken).

I wouldn't get the passport until the baby is one year old, as they only last 5 years, so you don't want to have to get a child passport renewal (aged 15) and then an Adult passport (aged 16).

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 23, 2011, 1:49 pm

If you are legally married - and your name is on the Birth certificate as the father - then you can get a Thai passport and then using English translations get the British Embassy to validate it as having the right of entry into the UK - this may be easier and cheaper - also no problems about getting visas on long trips back to Thailand

steveorch
udonmap.com

Post by steveorch » October 24, 2011, 12:37 am

YOUR BABY IS THAI

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 24, 2011, 10:09 am

I would contact the British immigration in England, explain your situation to them and move forward from there on there advice. A freind of mine returned to the UK six months ago with his three year old son after living here for ten years, his son had both Thai and UK passports prior to his departure, all passports were obtained in Thailand, the child having a UK passport does not need a visa for the UK.
Trying to make sense of the previous post, 'Your baby is Thai', I would say his baby is both Thai and English with two passports and dual citizenship!

BenZona
udonmap.com

Post by BenZona » October 25, 2011, 3:23 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ornabroad/

You need to prove your UK citizenship at the time of application for the childs passport, All you need is your passport or your birth certificate. I was told the babies passport proves "citizenship" as there is no real UK citizenship thing.

You have to make sure the photos are SPOT ON as they tell you to do them, you have to get a picture of the baby just like you do for an adult.

Once you have all that together then just send off the application to the embassy and you will get the babies passport back in a couple of weeks

make sure the pictures are right!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 25, 2011, 4:04 pm

You have to make sure the photos are SPOT ON as they tell you to do them, you have to get a picture of the baby just like you do for an adult.

There are certain "concessions" allowed with childrens photo's.

Under 1 year do not need their eyes open
Under 5 must be "clear image that is a true likeness of the child"
because young children can be difficult to photograph, children ged 5 and under do not need to have a neutral expresion. Also acceptable is glare on glasses or pictures with the head at a slight angle. Also children under 5 do not need to look directly at the camera.
Photographs for all children aged six and over must meet the full standards with the exception that children under 11 may show a head size between 21mm and 34mm high instead of the adult requirement of 29mm - 34mm high

BenZona
udonmap.com

Post by BenZona » October 25, 2011, 4:18 pm

stattointhailand wrote:You have to make sure the photos are SPOT ON as they tell you to do them, you have to get a picture of the baby just like you do for an adult.

There are certain "concessions" allowed with childrens photo's.

Under 1 year do not need their eyes open
Under 5 must be "clear image that is a true likeness of the child"
because young children can be difficult to photograph, children ged 5 and under do not need to have a neutral expresion. Also acceptable is glare on glasses or pictures with the head at a slight angle. Also children under 5 do not need to look directly at the camera.
Photographs for all children aged six and over must meet the full standards with the exception that children under 11 may show a head size between 21mm and 34mm high instead of the adult requirement of 29mm - 34mm high
Interesting, seems you are right and what i was told is wrong. The Aussie passport office show no mercy, kids the same as adults with no exceptions whatsoever. We ended up in a place in Non Sung where they did a fantastic job

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » November 1, 2011, 9:35 am

Hello hd.If I remember rightly you need a C2 form,which you can download from U.K.Embassy website.The birth certificate of the baby plus photo.Also you will need your passport AND your own birth certificate,original not copy.You can use the postal service,which was mentioned in an earlier post,or you can go to the Embassy in person,supply them with required documents and fee and then return the following day to pick up the passport.This is what I did for my youngest.However,this was nearly 3 years ago,so it might have changed.Cheers.

tubber

Post by tubber » November 1, 2011, 9:54 pm

I am in the middle of doing this now. I have 3 of the horrible little blighters. I wasn't married when the first one was born which makes it more difficult, after 2006 I think they changed the rules so it didn't matter if you were married or not. For the bastard kid I have to fill in a "Domicile Form", which the British Embassy said they would send me but never did and attend an interview. For the other 2 which I was married when they were born it isn't really a problem. I have copied and pasted what the Embassy sent me below.

Before processing an application, Original documents are required plus one photocopy of each supporting document. All originals will be returned at the time of application. We require translations (ie official translations from a licensed translator) of any document(s) not in English. We need to see:
• Child’s official birth certificate, issued by the Thai District Office. We will follow the names as they appear on the local document.
• Documentary evidence of father and/or mother’s nationality status – UK FULL VERSION birth certificate, naturalisation or registration certificate.
• Parents’ marriage certificate
• For children born on/after 1 July 2006, it is no longer a requirement for the parents of the child to be legally married
• Evidence that any previous marriages of the parents have been dissolved – divorce or death certificate as appropriate
• Both parents’ passports
• Child’s Thai passport (if applicable)
• We need the full version birth certificate of the parent transmitting nationality (ie with both parents’ names on it). If you do not already have your (full) birth certificate, you may obtain if from the General Register Officer http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Hope this helps
Regards
Jim

hdmarks

Post by hdmarks » November 5, 2011, 8:19 pm

thank you very much everyone
H

leoman
udonmap.com

Post by leoman » April 23, 2013, 4:05 pm

Does any one have a definitive list of documents and which ones need translating and who you can use as a counter signatory to obtain a UK Passport for my daughter in Bangkok. I have seen so many threads on this its confusing to say the least one Forum says this another that.
I have the jist of most of the things I need but not too sure on the translation of which documents, photo copies etc and who I can use to do the counter signature ie village government official or school teacher????
I'm sure that some of the UM people out there have been through this and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Very Much
:confused: :confused:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 24, 2013, 3:32 am

according to 'tubber's ' list of requirements and comments above from the UK Embassy, you need to translate ALL documents written in the Thai language that you intend to present to UK Embassy....I am guessing UK Embassy staff cant read Thai ..

cant answer your counter signing question, but I am sure UK Embassy Bangkok will tell you

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 24, 2013, 7:09 am

As far as I am aware the counter signatory , is based on the same rules for a normal passport, judge, lawyer etc, and that the person must have known the person for a specific period. I find it is best if the British person is also registered with the embassy then thay don't need to check as they know the person as well.
But as with all things check as for translating do not forget passports go to Hong Kong and retirned from the UK so i expect the HK Chinese nor the staff in the Uk read Thai just a thought.

Return to “Relationships”