Thais Love Avocados

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Thais Love Avocados

Post by bumper » May 6, 2013, 3:21 pm

BobHelm wrote:
rufus wrote:I love them. Best way to eat them is on a toast in the morning.
Mashed ? Rufus??
I am pretty sure I have had as guacamole in a Mexican restaurant with nachos & that was good.... :D
Might be a bit more LA's type of thing.... :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 1424.shtml
Yep that is how they go and it's easy to make. Little some green onions mix em like crazy and you got one heck of a dip.

When you have some for sale lets us know. I really love them.

downunder
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by downunder » May 6, 2013, 3:29 pm

Great taste with Vegemite on toast.
We planted 6 seeds from last seasons batch, now they are 1 meter high. My wife planted straight into the earth and they sprouted, while had them with tooth picks over a glass of water and nothing happened

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by harmonyudon » May 7, 2013, 1:56 am

Article about advocados:
http://www.naturalnews.com/034370_avoca ... ealth.html

I could not find a place in Udon where they make/serve fresh advocado juice, my favorite juice. Does anyone know?

In other Asian countries I can order this in many restaurants. See my avatar.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by papaguido » May 7, 2013, 6:11 am

harmonyudon wrote:Article about advocados:

I could not find a place in Udon where they make/serve fresh advocado juice, my favorite juice. Does anyone know?

Gibs shop, when in season...

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/g ... 28264.html

bumper
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by bumper » May 7, 2013, 7:05 am

harmonyudon wrote:Article about advocados:

Be interesting to see if the produce fruit. We did the same thing with lemons they all grew but, no fruit.

I also tried growing grapes no lick at all. Bought them for about three years running

I think I better stick to mushrooms and fish :oops:

douglas
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by douglas » May 7, 2013, 9:25 am

Hi,
Stoneman you say his is the wrong time of the year to be asking about Adv. This is an incorrect statement. I have one tree in my garden. Last crop tasty and sweet. and this month i had 157, yes i counted them, on it. I have just been outside now and there are over 50 small Adv. on it. You are welcome to come round and check it.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by harmonyudon » May 7, 2013, 11:25 am

Here is a interesting study about advocado production in India:
Avocado is a native of tropical America. It originated in Mexico and Central America, possibly from more than one wild species. The early Spanish explorers recorded its cultivation from Mexico to Peru but it was not in the West Indies at that time. It was introduced into Jamaica in 1650 and to Southern Spain in 1601. It was reported in Zanzibar in 1892. It was first recorded in Florida in 1833 and in California in 1856.
Avocado plants raised from seeds start bearing five to six years after planting. Mature fruits of purple varieties change their colour from purple to maroon, whereas fruits of green varieties become greenish-yellow. Fruits are ready for harvest when the colour of seed coat within the fruit changes from yellowish white to dark brown. Mature fruits ripen six to ten days after harvesting. The fruits remain hard as long as they stay on the trees, softening only after harvest.
The yield ranges from about 100 to 500 fruits per tree. In Sikkim, specifically, on average 300-400 fruits can be harvested from 10-15 years old trees.
FRUIT HARVESTING AND YIELDS
Avocado plants raised from seeds start bearing five to six years after planting. Mature fruits of purple varieties change their colour from purple to maroon, whereas fruits of green varieties become greenish-yellow. Fruits are ready for harvest when the colour of seed coat within the fruit changes from yellowish white to dark brown. Mature fruits ripen six to ten days after harvesting. The fruits remain hard as long as they stay on the trees, softening only after harvest.
The yield ranges from about 100 to 500 fruits per tree. In Sikkim, specifically, on average 300-400 fruits can harvested from 10-15 years old trees.
In Sikkim, fruits of Purple variety are harvested during July, and for Green variety September-October is the usual harvesting time. In Tamil Nadu, July-August is the peak harvest time. The yield performance of avocado, both in tropical southern India and humid sub-tropical northeastern India is highly satisfactory.
POST-HARVEST HANDLING, STORAGE AND MARKETING
Avocados do not ripen on the tree, and fruits soften only after they are picked. Fruits need to be picked carefully. They should be harvested at the correct stage of maturity, when they are still hard and have a minimum oil content of 12 per cent.
In India, fruits of 250 to 300 grams in size are preferred. Most popular varieties are Hass, Fuerte and Green. Hard, mature fruits are harvested and allowed to ripen during transport and distribution. Up to 14 days transport time is considered satisfactory, though unripe avocados can be stored for up to four weeks if the temperature is kept between 5.5 and 8°C. Presently, there is no organized marketing system for avocado as the production is small and production areas are scattered.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6902e/x6902e06.htm

Still I can order fresh made advocado Juice in Indonesia each month of the year...??????

Attachments
advocado_juice.jpg
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » May 8, 2013, 8:08 pm

Doug...

I am not doubting you but it is very unusual, to say the least,,,Any idea what variety it is...Where did you get the tree,,, normally the trees are just finishing flowering and the small fruit will start to set over the next month,,,and the fruit will be ready to harvest between August and November, depending on the variety.. And I have never heard avocados being called "sweet"...

Stoneman

douglas wrote:Hi,
Stoneman you say his is the wrong time of the year to be asking about Adv. This is an incorrect statement. I have one tree in my garden. Last crop tasty and sweet. and this month i had 157, yes i counted them, on it. I have just been outside now and there are over 50 small Adv. on it. You are welcome to come round and check it.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » May 8, 2013, 8:18 pm

Commercially grown avocados are grafted from root stock..There is a big Avocado Extension Service at the Pak Chong University..That is where most of the grafted avocado trees in Thailand originate...There are now a couple of Pak Chong nurseries that are also grafting root stock...As to the chances of your seeds actually bearing fruit...not impossible, but not a high percentage bet...You should know that the original Haas avocado was a tree that grew from a planted seed and was not grafted... http://www.avocadocentral.com/about-has ... other-tree ... so it is not impossible and good luck..one hint ..the number 1 killer of avocado trees is root rot caused by too much water and standing water...keep it damp but not wet...

Stoneman

downunder wrote:Great taste with Vegemite on toast.
We planted 6 seeds from last seasons batch, now they are 1 meter high. My wife planted straight into the earth and they sprouted, while had them with tooth picks over a glass of water and nothing happened

douglas
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by douglas » May 9, 2013, 8:23 am

Hi,
Stoneman. Yes i had a good crop last month and have abou 40 small adv, still on the tree. I dont know what type of Adv. it is, the wifes sister give it to us in 2005 when we moved into the house. The wife is getting a shop built in the front garden so the pomegranit tree and a lot of the mango tree branches hand to be cut. You are welcome to come and check it.
The wife picks the adv., when hey are ready, and wraps them in newspaper and puts them in a cool dark place until they turn yellow, this is the way i like them, and they taste sweet.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by BobHelm » May 9, 2013, 9:22 am

Douglas, that is starting to sound a lot more like a mango tree rather than a avocado tree.
Mangos are certainly currently in season.
Avocado tend go blackish in colour rather than yellow when ripe. How black depends on the variety, as some start out mango green & some black from virtual start of growth.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by papaguido » May 9, 2013, 9:48 am

BobHelm wrote:Douglas, that is starting to sound a lot more like a mango tree rather than a avocado tree.
Mangos are certainly currently in season.
Avocado tend go blackish in colour rather than yellow when ripe. How black depends on the variety, as some start out mango green & some black from virtual start of growth.
:lol: :lol:

bumper
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by bumper » May 9, 2013, 12:12 pm

That kind of sounds like Mangos?

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by rickfarang » May 9, 2013, 3:24 pm

Avocado (above)

Mango (above)

Both come in a variety of shapes.

brentteung

Thais Love Avocados

Post by brentteung » May 19, 2013, 3:58 pm

Hello Stoneman, would you or anyone else have some Avocados for sale I am south of Surin and would love to buy some close to surin. I am willing to pay shipping just need about 15 kg a month.

Thank You

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » May 25, 2013, 7:22 pm

Brent...

The trees are just starting to set fruit now and they will not be ripe until Sep/Oct....At this point, I have no idea how many I will get...Last year had a big setting, but had a large fruit drop and ended up with a very small crop...But I will continue to post on this thread..

Stoneman

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » July 27, 2013, 7:35 am

Was in the Government Project store Friday evening and they had a huge inventory of avocados...both Petersen and Hass
Bought 3 bags of Petersens and am going to make a big bowl of guacamole..The Petersens were 55 baht a bag...each bag was over a kg..

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by WhoUrDaddy » July 27, 2013, 7:48 am

didn't happen to notice any peaches did you? got some in there that were quite good before.

bumper
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by bumper » July 27, 2013, 8:05 am

Government Project store, where is that at?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by BobHelm » July 27, 2013, 8:10 am

bumper wrote:Government Project store, where is that at?
Royal Farm Project Bumper.
Bottom floor of the Complex. Same side as Boots the chemist, a couple of shops down from that walking towards the back of the store (towards Topps etc.)..

Return to “Open Forum”