The Big Splash: A Universe/Earth discussion

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 15, 2014, 1:50 am

This is the first time that I have encountered this theory, and tried to comprehend the blurb about the Big Bang Theory with positive and negative materials creating all the stuff in the Universe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the article, and has anyone come across this idea of the Earth having collided with another planet?

Whatever...it is fascinating stuff.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/13 ... h-to-life/

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 15, 2014, 4:57 am

A very interesting read, but way over my Head ....

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 15, 2014, 9:30 am

didnt read the link, but I thought it was a huge meteor that crashed into the Kalahari, which in an instance wiped out the dinosaur's etc etc..

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 15, 2014, 9:38 am

Best read the link maaka, it's about the formation of the Earth many Moons before .... (pun intended) ....

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 15, 2014, 9:53 am

maaka wrote:didnt read the link, but I thought it was a huge meteor that crashed into the Kalahari, which in an instance wiped out the dinosaur's etc etc..
Nope ....... it didn't get all of us. ;)

rreddin
udonmap.com

Post by rreddin » June 15, 2014, 1:25 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:This is the first time that I have encountered this theory, and tried to comprehend the blurb about the Big Bang Theory with positive and negative materials creating all the stuff in the Universe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the article, and has anyone come across this idea of the Earth having collided with another planet?

Whatever...it is fascinating stuff.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/13 ... h-to-life/
This idea has been around since the 1980's, but it was no more than a theory unil now. Recent analysis of Moon rocks brough back by the Apollo astronauts has revealed evidence of material from a planet other than Earth. That, the researchers say, is evidence of a collision with another planet and explains how the Moon formed so quickly.

It is an attractive proposition, but just because it fits the computer simulations, it does not mean the theory is correct. I would have expected more material from Theia to have been found especially as the computer simulation, if correct, predicts that the Moon would comprise mostly of material from the other planet. Maybe there is not enough Moon rock available for analysis to prove the theory, but it lends some credence to the idea.

So, we are all here because of a lucky accident 4.5 billion years ago! If there were astrologers back then, I wonder what their prediction would have been? Perhaps it could have been: "Don't go out tonight, there's a bad Moon on the rise."

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 15, 2014, 9:42 pm

rreddin wrote:This idea has been around since the 1980's, but it was no more than a theory unil now. Recent analysis of Moon rocks brough back by the Apollo astronauts has revealed evidence of material from a planet other than Earth. That, the researchers say, is evidence of a collision with another planet and explains how the Moon formed so quickly.

It is an attractive proposition, but just because it fits the computer simulations, it does not mean the theory is correct. I would have expected more material from Theia to have been found especially as the computer simulation, if correct, predicts that the Moon would comprise mostly of material from the other planet. Maybe there is not enough Moon rock available for analysis to prove the theory, but it lends some credence to the idea.

So, we are all here because of a lucky accident 4.5 billion years ago! If there were astrologers back then, I wonder what their prediction would have been? Perhaps it could have been: "Don't go out tonight, there's a bad Moon on the rise."

Yes, these theories always raise new questions, and there are sure to be more to come in the future. I wonder what role Our Heavenly Father played in all of this? Nothing, I suspect. 555+
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 16, 2014, 5:00 am

Right On Jacko..
I heard there were afew dinosaurs still roaming around Ban Dung..

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”