Overt Racism in Thailand?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » July 28, 2014, 7:29 am

"Both Racism and Discrimination are against the law here in Thailand, the Thais are racist and very DFiscriminatory, but they will never admit it as they are taught that Thai is best and will always be that way until education changes as should their culture, a long way to go I am afraid"

KP Hope you havent given out your home address!
Ding

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » July 28, 2014, 7:39 am

jai yen yen wrote:ignorance = racism, discrimination. Education and open minds are the answer, not a lot of either in Thailand yet.
The use of the "F" word in my area is almost unstoppable, depsite me living here for 3 years, they all know my name , but I am still addressed, though not to my face, as the "F". It is quite cute when it is a 3 year old, but for teenagers and adults it is not acceptable. I have been addressed as "F" to my face in UD shops, last time it happened I said , in Thai, I am not a "F" I am a customer, shocked faces all round.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 28, 2014, 9:04 am

UM staff tells me that "falang" isn't necessarily insulting, that it's context dependent.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Udon Map wrote: "..............that it's context dependent."

I believe this is quite true. The term "farang" has never bothered me and I heard it a lot from the wife's friends and family when I first moved here. I don't hear it so much now as most Thais who know me use my name, even the dek dek call me khun Lichart (Richard). They do, however, use the word "farang" when talking to each other.

Outside the family/friend setting I've heard "farang" used in a insulting manner but not usually. I don't pay much attention any more as I've been busy recently trying to figure out if we should change the name of the Washington Redskins football team to something more acceptable. How about the Washington Caucasians?

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 28, 2014, 10:57 am

Shado wrote:Udon Map wrote: "..............that it's context dependent."

I believe this is quite true. The term "farang" has never bothered me and I heard it a lot from the wife's friends and family when I first moved here. I don't hear it so much now as most Thais who know me use my name, even the dek dek call me khun Lichart (Richard). They do, however, use the word "farang" when talking to each other.

Outside the family/friend setting I've heard "farang" used in a insulting manner but not usually. I don't pay much attention any more as I've been busy recently trying to figure out if we should change the name of the Washington Redskins football team to something more acceptable. How about the Washington Caucasians?
In Canada we would call them the Washington first nations. :D

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2014, 4:54 pm

The word farang has never bothered me. Many of the comments made in respect of the Thais here could be made against our own countries of origin as well. Minorities in western countries do it pretty hard and that's easily overlooked.

When I was in Thailand I met an Asian North American who was born and lived nearly all his life in the US and Canada. He said many white women just weren't interested in Asian men. He was reasonably tall, in good shape, socially skilful and educated. I had never thought of this before. If you have a Thai - farang son, he may face this problem if he's going to live in the west.

One time in their lives where white guys in western countries find discrimination against them is if they are over 50 and looking for employment. Many employers think "too old, too slow, past it etc.".
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 28, 2014, 5:10 pm

In answer to my address, many of my Thai friends openly admot to me that they are disciminatory, racism is rather silly as i should think in this town anyway at least over 50% are of mixed blood be that Thai Chinese or Thai / Lao or even Thai /Cambodian in their genetic make up , which is true fro many Europeans how many can claim blolodlines pure whatever over the last 2-300 years not that many I am sure.
So the discrimination thing is the one that hurts , pricing/amongst other things, and the fact that when I asked for a got a Fibre optic line into my house I had tyo have a Thai sign the order I get the bill but the Thai had to sogn call that discrimination or what. quite openly stupid.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 30, 2014, 2:17 pm

I encountered a nice piece of discrimination at the Fuji restaurant at the main Tesco Lotus today.......

I've been in a few times with the Thai wife and/or her family and friends.Food is pretty decent and the restaurant clean.
The last few times we have been we have been offered a "lucky dip" after paying the check bin.This is a coupon where you can get 50% or 20% off your next meal or,more usually,a free bottle of Japanese tea or a pen.
Today I went in on my own after doing a bit of shopping.Had my meal,paid the check bin,then...........nothing ! :-k
I enquired to a waitress about the "lucky dip" and was told "no,you not get,you farang." :-s

Oh well,nice one Fuji......a "not so lucky dip" for farangs then. :(

I dont really care about any discount.Its just been told by some smiling slapper on 6000 baht a month that I'm not good enough to qualify because I'm a foreigner thats annoying ! [-X
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 30, 2014, 2:41 pm

Zidane wrote:.
Today I went in on my own after doing a bit of shopping.Had my meal,paid the check bin,then...........nothing ! :-k
I enquired to a waitress about the "lucky dip" and was told "no,you not get,you farang." :-s
:lol:
Oh well,nice one Fuji......a "not so lucky dip" for farangs then. :(

I dont really care about any discount.Its just been told by some smiling slapper on 6000 baht a month that I'm not good enough to qualify because I'm a foreigner thats annoying ! [-X
Never had a problem so far Zid as always present TW fuji card and they bring the lucky dip to me..Have a voucher for 20% off at home,how do I get it to you as not needed,do I meet you in the hair colour section in Tesco or near the vegetable section :lol:
Damn slappers everywhere :-#

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Hey,the author of the topic on Udon Talk about gay farangs in Tesco said a buddy of his had been hit on by some "big,beefy man-cake !"
Just be careful in there,pomps ! =;

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 30, 2014, 3:23 pm

There might be a lot of slappers around Udon but I suspect there are also plenty of old foreign folks subjected to the occasional racist act who'd quickly drop their trousers, swallow some viagara, and go for a rumble with one of the said smiling slappers.

The slappers don't appear to be racist. They seem to be very broad minded. Tescos in Udon now seems to be as damaged a brand as Malaysian Airlines. Way too dangerous for many of us. I think the only safe way to shop at Tescos is to pick up a couple of slappers from Soi Samphan and go into Tescos holding hands with each of them.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 30, 2014, 3:32 pm

Zidane wrote:Hey,the author of the topic on Udon Talk about gay farangs in Tesco said a buddy of his had been hit on by some "big,beefy man-cake !"
Just be careful in there,pomps ! =;
Normally hiding in the unisex bra section wearing my dorothy perkins flowery dress no hairy beefcakes allowed in that section so no chance :shock: :-# \:D/ 8)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 30, 2014, 4:24 pm

GT93 wrote:There might be a lot of slappers around Udon but I suspect there are also plenty of old foreign folks subjected to the occasional racist act who'd quickly drop their trousers, swallow some viagara, and go for a rumble with one of the said smiling slappers.
No,she wasnt that pretty tbh but thanks for the suggestion ! 8)

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 31, 2014, 8:15 pm

They teach them young here about farlangs we live next door to my partners sister her oldest daughter has a little girl probably two years of age max every time she sees me she points and says farlang then laughs this does not worry me at all I guess there parents do not really know how much money and support we pump into UT or any where else in the land of smiles 555 yes you always get a greeting and a smile when you get on or off a plane thats what they are paid to do I cannot ever recall getting a smile from a Thai not even at the supermarket checkout.

So yes I think that racism is a alive and kicking and will keep going for many years to come.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 1, 2014, 2:52 pm

Sounds like you are better off in farangland maaca46? Why would you stay in the country you describe?

I get heaps of smiles from Thai people and I'm not unduly handsome, wealthy or generous. The Thais are lovely people. If posters disagree then they need to think about returning home. What's life like for minorities in farangland?

Farang in Thailand are by and large a privileged lot. We pay sod all tax and the so-called racist (?) Thai women want to jump into bed with us. The booze is cheap. It sounds pretty good to me. If you want to try a country that might be difficult for you, I suggest Saudi Arabia. I'd then take farang complaints more seriously.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » August 1, 2014, 6:22 pm

Think you missed the point GT the comment was they they teach the kids at a very young age about farlangs.

I am here for the same reason as you I love the place and the life style.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 1, 2014, 8:11 pm

racism?? Yeah, I'm sure some Thais are racist but I'm also sure that their xenophobia would equally apply to the Kaek (Indians), the Yuan (Viets), Khmin (Khmer) and others... But, kids pointing at us and calling "Falang, Falang".. Nah, that doesn't bother me nor do I see it as "racist".. 40 years ago the dearth of Falang in Thailand meant if you went into the countryside you'd look like the Pied Piper walking down the street with 20 kids dancing along behind you calling, yupper, "Falang, Falang".. I never considered it insulting although it did bother me when very young kids would scream and hid their face when "Falang" walked near.. Something about getting their liver eaten I'm sure! Nowadays, when I hear some snide remark from a Thai I can either respond with a smart-ass response in dialect or merely look at them and say, "eyangco????" which generally gets a startled look and "bo bpen yang doc...." Seriously though, some a-holes snide comments don't bother me much at all.. I know who I am, what I've got and don't have to worry about some fool who doesn't like me for my looks or where I came from.
Dave

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » August 1, 2014, 9:17 pm

Agreed Frazee the terminology does not worry me one little bit I have been coming here for many years and have very thick skin when it comes to this I guess you might say that it reverts back to parents teaching.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”