Repayment Requirements for PhD in Thailand

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
petroadv66

Post by petroadv66 » April 30, 2015, 6:11 am

If a previous forum has answered this question please accept my apologies. I searched and could not find one.

Perhaps this could be filed under "scams" but if it is it is incredibly elaborate. My question is this: if a Thai citizen utilized government (at least that's what I assume it was) funding to pay for their PhD at a Thai university, is there a work commitment in exchange? I have met a lady who has earned her PhD. At least it appears she has because I have joined her Facebook page (I found it on my own - she did not prompt me) and it is quite extensive and goes back for several years. She has hundreds of friends and has many school related posts, including pictures of her graduation. We have been friends while she has completed her dissertation and there have been several spontaneous (I asked for them) "selfies" where she definitely appears to be sitting in what looks like a university library. She has an obviously university-level command of English and is wonderfully intelligent.

Now that she has completed her studies we began talking about her moving to the US. That was when she revealed her "dilemma": she used government money to pay for her studies and therefore owes them a time commitment equal to three times the amount of time of her studies. In her case that equals 15 years. She says she cannot get a visa or leave the country until she has served that time or repaid them for the loans. She would not give me an exact amount but from the way she was describing it the amount was astronomical: well in excess of $100,000 US. She said she did not want to tell me because she did not want me to think she was asking for it. She has not mentioned it since and says she is trying to figure out an alternative.

Like I said, if it is a scam it is a damn good one and she is incredibly patient. It is not a question of whether or not I will fall for it because I am not stupid enough to send anyone I have not actually met money, much less a sum of money I do not have!

So my questions are:
1) is this a scam anyone has heard of before?
2) does this sound like something the Thai government or universities actually do?

It may well be that she just does not want to leave Thailand and is scared to tell me, but her letters and calls to me do not reflect any hesitation on her part.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. If I am the world's biggest sucker and I am the only one who can't see it I also apologize for wasting your time. Thanks.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 30, 2015, 7:21 am

I know a mate in the UK who took his bird back there several years ago. She spoke very little English, was a bar girl but had many photographs in robes from a graduation ceremony. The type you can wear in photography shops such as in Central Plazza. She would never have a degree as long as she's got a hole in her arse.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 30, 2015, 7:22 am

It is common for Thais to have a education debt
This one seems high though
My wifes debt was around 30k which has been paid
Her sisters debt about the same but has waved as she can not work
Don't know about unable to leave the country as my wife did before debt was paid

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 30, 2015, 7:56 am

Some facts about the Thai undergraduate costs & system.

Costs..
http://studyinthailand.org/study_abroad ... duate.html
http://studyinthailand.org/study_abroad ... grams.html

System - certainly confirms the 15 year maximum repayment scheme.
http://gse.buffalo.edu/org/IntHigherEdf ... ailand.pdf

Of course if she has a Phd then that was after spending a considerable amount of time in the higher education system.
But the numbers do sort of stack up, considering there are living expenses to pay for as well as tuition costs.

I would wonder exactly what made a person feel that it was beneficial spending a further 1.5M baht ($50K) to get the Phd over a straight B.Sc. That seems (to me) a great deal of extra debt taken on immediately rather than by taking down some of the original debt by working & then return later (& debt free & maybe sponsored) to do the Phd.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » April 30, 2015, 8:45 am

petroadv66 wrote:If a previous forum has answered this question please accept my apologies. I searched and could not find one.

Perhaps this could be filed under "scams" but if it is it is incredibly elaborate. My question is this: if a Thai citizen utilized government (at least that's what I assume it was) funding to pay for their PhD at a Thai university, is there a work commitment in exchange? I have met a lady who has earned her PhD. At least it appears she has because I have joined her Facebook page (I found it on my own - she did not prompt me) and it is quite extensive and goes back for several years. She has hundreds of friends and has many school related posts, including pictures of her graduation. We have been friends while she has completed her dissertation and there have been several spontaneous (I asked for them) "selfies" where she definitely appears to be sitting in what looks like a university library. She has an obviously university-level command of English and is wonderfully intelligent.

Now that she has completed her studies we began talking about her moving to the US. That was when she revealed her "dilemma": she used government money to pay for her studies and therefore owes them a time commitment equal to three times the amount of time of her studies. In her case that equals 15 years. She says she cannot get a visa or leave the country until she has served that time or repaid them for the loans. She would not give me an exact amount but from the way she was describing it the amount was astronomical: well in excess of $100,000 US. She said she did not want to tell me because she did not want me to think she was asking for it. She has not mentioned it since and says she is trying to figure out an alternative.

Like I said, if it is a scam it is a damn good one and she is incredibly patient. It is not a question of whether or not I will fall for it because I am not stupid enough to send anyone I have not actually met money, much less a sum of money I do not have!

So my questions are:
1) is this a scam anyone has heard of before?
2) does this sound like something the Thai government or universities actually do?

It may well be that she just does not want to leave Thailand and is scared to tell me, but her letters and calls to me do not reflect any hesitation on her part.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. If I am the world's biggest sucker and I am the only one who can't see it I also apologize for wasting your time. Thanks.
Yes a scam… I have heard of variations’ of this….

If money is mentioned (even once)in your correspondence with this girl and you have not even met her she is just chancing her arm that you are a soft touch… anyways why are you even thinking of trying to get her to America if you haven’t even met her….? :confused:

Don’t be a sucker… Wise up… These girls are very skilled and patient when playing the long con…

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 30, 2015, 8:49 am

A friend of ours got her master's degree from a Thai university (don't know what university or what her degree was in). Her studies were funded by the government and she also had to repay either in time (2 years of government work) or money (250,000Baht) the cost of her studies. She worked for a while, then decided to repay the amount so she could stop working.
$100,000 goes a long long way in Thailand.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » April 30, 2015, 8:54 am

During my last 15 years in the US before retiring to Thailand in 2010 I knew several Thai students at the Uni of Tennessee who had been sent over by the Thai government to obtain their PhD's. These students were of all ages and were already Thai government employees. It's true that they will have a contract to work out once they return, but they have the option to buy out that contract. I can't imagine that cost would approximate $100,000, so she could be telling you a half truth and trying to capitalize on the payoff if you are gullible enough to accommodate her. You haven't said if she contends that she was educated in a foreign country or in Thailand. Asking her specific questions about her school and the geography and environment might raise some red flags if there are any. If she got her PhD in Thailand then there's no way the cost was $100,000. I personally know a young lady who is working on her Masters at present, and she is paying around 80,000 Baht to have a van pick her up in Isaan once a month on a Friday night, drive her to a school in Bangkok for a Saturday learning session and then bring her back home of Sunday. After one year she will have her Masters. Literally hundreds of teachers get their Masters this way. So, let me be specific...that's only 12 half days of classes with tests over a 12 month period, and they obtain a Masters which enables them to qualify for a substantial government pay raise. Over the long run the degree pays for itself.

If I were you I would be extremely suspicious,and don't let your infatuation for her make you deaf, dumb and blind. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » April 30, 2015, 10:02 am

There's one born every day. A 'sponsor,' that is. :-"
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 30, 2015, 4:29 pm

Did she go abroad to study for her Phd?If so then the costs seem cheap,if not they seem high to me.More info is needed about the loans.How many years,how much,where and what did did she study etc. and if she was not a gov't employee when she made the loans,what job will she be working at for 15 years.
In other words ,if you are really interested in her,you need to do much more homework,including coming to terms about how and why you both are so interested in each other without ever meeting in person!Are you particularly attractive and close to her age.
Why is she talking to foreign strangers online etc.?
Do you really belief that a Thai women would rather be with a falang than a Thai,especially a well educated one?
The chances that she is talking to many many falangs online are about 95% which would mean that she is looking for money because there is probably no other compatibility involved!
Have her tell you about her dissertation ,how many pages was it(most are over 200 pages)etc.
If she doesn't like your questions,expects you to trust her,doesn't respect your due diligence,then you have your answer !!

My experience of over 18 years here,is that Thais and falangs are like oil and water,it takes 2 very special people to really have an honest successful relationship based on acceptance and understanding of the differences between the cultures to built the honesty and trust needed!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » April 30, 2015, 6:02 pm

nkstan wrote:Did she go abroad to study for her Phd?If so then the costs seem cheap,if not they seem high to me.More info is needed about the loans.How many years,how much,where and what did did she study etc. and if she was not a gov't employee when she made the loans,what job will she be working at for 15 years.
In other words ,if you are really interested in her,you need to do much more homework,including coming to terms about how and why you both are so interested in each other without ever meeting in person!Are you particularly attractive and close to her age.
Why is she talking to foreign strangers online etc.?
Do you really belief that a Thai women would rather be with a falang than a Thai,especially a well educated one?
The chances that she is talking to many many falangs online are about 95% which would mean that she is looking for money because there is probably no other compatibility involved!
Have her tell you about her dissertation ,how many pages was it(most are over 200 pages)etc.
If she doesn't like your questions,expects you to trust her,doesn't respect your due diligence,then you have your answer !!

My experience of over 18 years here,is that Thais and falangs are like oil and water,it takes 2 very special people to really have an honest successful relationship based on acceptance and understanding of the differences between the cultures to built the honesty and trust needed!

Great observations and advice Stan!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

petroadv66

Post by petroadv66 » April 30, 2015, 8:52 pm

You guys are awesome. I think all of you were spot on: it is probably a mixture of truth and embellishment. I won't give up on it completely but it is definitely time to start asking some hard questions. I'm pretty sure the reaction to the questions as well as her answers will tell me all I need to know. Thanks for the wake-up call!

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » April 30, 2015, 10:15 pm

The only possible explanation about the amount of money borrowed is that the sum was 100,000 + THB and not USD. Now, this sort of mistake would be highly unlikely from a well educated person although she could be given the benefit of the doubt following a meeting with her and a couple private romantic sessions.

OT................... \:D/

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 1, 2015, 4:38 pm

I am sure the truth would reveal itself if you advised the young lady you were coming to Udon and would pay the educational institution directly the amount of money owed. If the Thai language is a barrier, offer to take an electronic translator with you so that a person independent of both of you can provide confirmation of the costs involved. The only way this test can fail is if the independent person is in on the scam. Five will get you ten that she will drop off you immediately.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 2, 2015, 1:47 am

Simple, ask for a copy of the Govt Document locking her into the debt, ask for it to be witnessed / Affidavit, so the original must be sighted.

there must be deed that she has signed etc

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 2, 2015, 3:33 pm

Personally, I prefer fishing for wide-mouthed bass.

Return to “Relationships”