New Visa overstay penalties

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 30, 2014, 8:23 am

Visa overstayers face bans of 1-10 years Aug 25

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... e-launched. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » July 30, 2014, 9:03 am

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » July 30, 2014, 9:16 am

These changes are rather draconian. Again there is no stated appeal process. [-X This will only exacerbate the existing problem of shaking people down for bribes. I wonder if Immigration has given a copy of their proposal to TAT?

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 30, 2014, 2:09 pm

Jing Jing wrote:These changes are rather draconian. Again there is no stated appeal process. [-X This will only exacerbate the existing problem of shaking people down for bribes. I wonder if Immigration has given a copy of their proposal to TAT?
Actually,I feel OK about them,why overstay.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 30, 2014, 3:47 pm

I never much like dealing with Thai Immigration but the Thais have been very tolerant of overstayers in the past. They were never going to change the laws to become even more tolerant. It's not surprising they are toughening up and probably well overdue.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 30, 2014, 4:28 pm

Let's not forget that for long-stay expats, most all of the rules changes over the years have made life easier for us, rather than harder..... retirement visas on the spot, no-form 90 day checks in 5 minutes (or less!), 30 day early renewal, reentry visas at Suvarnaphumi, full-up immigration service at Udon, copies made for you if necessary (wasn't always the case in Nongkai!), and friendlier service than what many of us remember from the days at AEK or Nongkai.
I don't read anything in the latest news that's going to affect me. If I travel and stay at a resort/hotel, I know the burden is on all inns to report the presence of foreigners......has been that way for many many years. And if I was in the middle of a 10-day visit with family in another province and was suddenly stopped by an official, I'd tell him it was my first day away from my home of record. How is the official going to know if it's 22 hours or 122 hours?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 31, 2014, 3:39 pm

From a purely personal viewpopint, most foreigners who have the ability to book a plane ticket to Thailand have also the ability to read the rules about coming and living in Thailand, it is not Rocket Science and never has been, it only requires a few minutes to read and understand the salient points and the repercussions of not complying.
While there were some instances in the past of minor problems with immigration that has , as it has already been said , eased to the point it is now very easy.
So those who because they think they are clever, lack the where-with-all to stay and they then overstay. I have no compunction in saying, ' I am damn glad the situation is now going to be better controlled and policed.' providing that stricter enforcement is aimed at those that need it. We know that some of the new restrictions being imposed is to not only catch the errant ones but also to prepare Thailand for the upcoming ASEAN expansion, they are getting jittery over the possible problems in relation to their borders and workers from other countries, unfortunately we as foreigners are seemingly easy targets for crackdowns. If we understand the larger picture I am sure although we may moan and groan, we will accept the new rules and comply, while saying possibly farewell to some who have to leave due to the new restrictions. To those who have to leave, all I can offer is sage advice, you knew it was going to happen, the writing was on the wall for some months. get yourself sorted and return or just leave.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 19, 2016, 12:12 pm

The Bangkok Post reports:

"Stricter punishments for those overstaying their visas will take effect from March 20 as part of government efforts to crack down on transnational crime."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ffect-soon

The Thais are gunning for our transnational criminal readers ...
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » March 19, 2016, 12:43 pm

If I sincerely believed that the majority of 'overstayers' were linked to international crime then I would ban them for ever!! :D They seem to be following the British trend in not wishing to offend foreign criminals :shock: TIT

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”