ANZAC DAY 2016 - Udon Thani, Thailand.

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 10, 2016, 4:12 pm

Monday, 25 April is ANZAC Day at the Aussie Burger Sports Bar in Udon. Its still a few weeks away, so I am putting this up early to enable guests to organize themselves. It is an open day for all nationalities to attend, if you cannot make it to Kanchanaburi (River Kwae) and would like to attend a small ceremony, you are most welcome. There will be other ANZAC Day celebrations in Laos, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok and other provinces, and maybe more establishments in Udon Thani will be open for celebrations. If you have children, they are more than welcome and encouraged to attend as well.

The day starts off around 7.30-8am with the small snacks and Bundaberg Rum and milk and other rums, coffee, tea, water and fruit juices, supplied by the bar. Official guests from the Royal Thailand Military will be welcomed by former Australian soldiers, and a short speech by an Australian and New Zealander. The Australian and New Zealand flags will be manned by the 2 nations and the Bugler will be heard in the background. After this short service, everybody can help themselves to fresh cooked corned beef, mashed potato, peas, cabbage, white sauce and roast chicken. Hopefully we will watch live the ceremony from Gallipoli, around 9am then cross to the ceremony in France. We do not care if you only come for the service, have something to eat and leave, people have other things to do with their lives and don't be afraid to eat as much as you like, I would rather see people get fat than be seen going hungry. The food will be supplied free of charge.

The AFL game Collingwood and Essendon will be shown live along with three live NRL games. I will post more details as the day becomes nearer.

Thanks Rob.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 11, 2016, 9:49 pm

Sport

I left 2000 Baht with you when I left a few weeks ago

This was to buy the first round of beers after the formalities have completed.

Not sure If im back in time..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 12, 2016, 9:50 am

I'm heading to Kanchanaburi this year as it is the last year they are holding the service at the war cemetery in town, normally they hold two services, one at hell fire pass and the one at the cemetery, next year it will be at hell fire pass only.
I will definitely be at yours next year Rob to sample your great food and hospitality.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 13, 2016, 6:16 pm

Thanks Waz for that kind donation, the guests/customers will remember you, hopefully you can make it back in time. 2000b should be around 30 small beers or 4.5 shots of high quality tequila, (470b 30ml shot).

I hope you have a memorable time down there Chris, and we will see you before next years ANZAC Day.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 14, 2016, 4:33 am

my brother Ringo should be there Rob, and did you know that Siam / Thailand took part in WW1 ? so you can butter up your military guests in a brotherly manner...

russell17au

Post by russell17au » March 14, 2016, 4:16 pm

Hi Sport, unfortunately I will not be there this year as I do not leave Melbourne for Hauy Keong until 2nd May but we will come and meet you after we get back.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 25, 2016, 8:58 am

coxo wrote:I'm heading to Kanchanaburi this year as it is the last year they are holding the service at the war cemetery in town, normally they hold two services, one at hell fire pass and the one at the cemetery, next year it will be at hell fire pass only.
I will definitely be at yours next year Rob to sample your great food and hospitality.
Coxo

Heard a reason why this change ???

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2016, 11:45 am

I guess it's to do with Aust government cutbacks as they finance the whole thing.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 25, 2016, 12:09 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 9, 2016, 1:45 pm

Just bumping up the topic.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » April 9, 2016, 2:51 pm

wont be in town but I will drop a few boxes of pies over a couple of days before for the Anzac Day Footy Clash.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 11, 2016, 11:23 am

Thanks J for the pies (Not the Collingwood ones), we wont tell anybody otherwise they will want a sample before the 25th. Hopefully one day you and Waz can make it together.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 22, 2016, 9:50 am

Just bumping up. The pies were delivered yesterday by Mr grevious, thanks mate for that, they will go down well for the attendees. And for the people that are attending Kanchanaburi have a safe journey and the people that cannot make it to a ceremony of some description, good wishes on the day.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2016, 11:30 am

Sport have changed my flights , to allow my attendance .

See you there... need anything ???

mancman
udonmap.com

Post by mancman » April 22, 2016, 12:26 pm

wazza wrote:Sport have changed my flights , to allow my attendance .

See you there... need anything ???
Sport he's only coming for the pie's (not Collingwood) lol

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 22, 2016, 1:46 pm

Cheers Rob, nearly at Nakhon Sawan, f'n hot and a sore a-se!!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 25, 2016, 7:49 pm

Rob

Sincere thanks to all that assisted and participated in this years ANZAC Day Service.

I counted 58 heads, with spouses, GFs etc

Great food and always good to hear a few local slang sayings.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 26, 2016, 4:19 pm

yup Rob,and team ( and Paul ) well done from this Kiwi.
you Aussie's can be a one eyed lot sometimes, but Rob your Anzac service catered well for vets, and non vets, from both countries, ( and included Thailand as well. A nice touch.)
amazed at your hospitality of free beers and great food..
Well done Mate...

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 27, 2016, 11:28 am

Thanks Waz and maaka for your comments and they will be passed onto the staff and tireless volunteers who made the day a success. It was a bloody hot day out there under the sun and I cannot recall anyone really complaining about the heat, there was a greater issue at hand rather than the weather. And a great job from the parade marshall, Mr Tony R,(ex vet) and Paul C my counterpart from New Zealand who delivered a memorable speech from the Kiwi side.

Also thank you to the Royal Thailand Army for their attendance as guests and I did find out later some of them actually googled ANZAC and they realised why it is a significant day in Australian and New Zealand history, and they showed their respects towards it.

To all the people who attended, thank you for attending and making this day a success, without your support it would not have been possible. And a special thanks to Waz, John (Perth road man) and grevious for your donations and a special one for Nat (Jims wife) who spent Sunday making the fat free chocolate munchies for your enjoyment, nice one Nat. ANZAC Day 2017 will have more seats and 2 large marquees for the sun and rain for your comfort.

We all hope to see you in 2017 and thank you, Rob

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 28, 2016, 11:32 am

On Monday at your ANZAC Day ceremony, there was a tin going around the audience asking for donations, this was for the Udon Thani Orphanage on the Khon Kaen Hwy. Lee from BKK donated 5000B and with your help and a couple of others the girls raised over 10,000B, so on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning Mon and Ann, (former employees at the bar and good friends) along with ladies from the Orphanage and expats cooked up a feast and delivered it to the 200 children for their lunch on Wednesday, and about 60 litres of ice-cream.

From ANZAC Day being a day of reflection and sombre moments to the smiles and happiness of the little ones at the Orphanage, it has been a great week thanks to the efforts of the girls, volunteers and expats. I just dont know how you guys managed to work in a kitchen in that heat, it would have been touching 50 plus deg with all the burners going, congratulations for your efforts and the bar and facilities are always there for your next project.

Return to “Notice Board”