Virtual Debit Cards

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by BobHelm » August 6, 2015, 9:24 am

I often used to buy stuff online via EBay & other outlets.
However myself & PayPal had a 'falling out' - not a difficult thing to do if you do a Google search - which means that way of paying for stuff is no longer available to me.
I am reluctant to use my HSBC Debit card for security reasons, plus many Asian companies web sites struggle with the concept that I have a UK Debit card on a Thai address... :shock:

So I am looking at obtaining a 'virtual' credit/debit card or some similar system that allows me to buy online but will restricting my 'exposure' to a reasonable level if fraud or theft becomes involved.
However most of the cards that I have seen have pretty hefty charges involved - especially on foreign currency transactions.

So, has anyone had experience of using virtual cards, or is anyone using one of the newer online systems like Paytoo or V2Pay or Mango - or any other..

http://www.paytoo.com/
http://www.v2pay.com/v2card.html
https://www.mangomoney.com/what-is-mango/

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by ting_tong » August 6, 2015, 10:07 am

my E-Kasikorn bank account has a virtual Visa card which I have used before to pay for AirAsia tickets

Zidane
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Zidane » August 6, 2015, 12:02 pm

You can get a credit card with the likes of Bangkok Bank or Kasikornbank where you can impose your own credit limit eg.20,000,50,000,100,000 baht per month(limits the amount that can be fraudently taken ?)......you link it to an account you hold with either of these banks and get an SMS each month telling you what you owe.
Best to pay the balance off each month as the interest charges are very high,around 20%.
Also the Bangkok Bank have a Be1st Smart Card which you can use for shopping online in Thailand.Money is automatically deducted from your account so there are no interest charges.
With all these cards if you make a purchase online a "One time Password" (OTP) is sent by SMS to your mobile phone which you enter in the check out page to complete your transaction.

But I've no idea what the charges would be for foreign currency transactions.

Dunno if any of this helps you,Bob ?? :-k
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by BobHelm » August 6, 2015, 12:05 pm

Not sure if 'help' is the right word, Zid & Ting. :D
Extra food for thought, that is for certain.
Thanks!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by wazza » August 9, 2015, 2:10 am

Zidane wrote:You can get a credit card with the likes of Bangkok Bank or Kasikornbank where you can impose your own credit limit eg.20,000,50,000,100,000 baht per month(limits the amount that can be fraudently taken ?)......you link it to an account you hold with either of these banks and get an SMS each month telling you what you owe.
Best to pay the balance off each month as the interest charges are very high,around 20%.
Also the Bangkok Bank have a Be1st Smart Card which you can use for shopping online in Thailand.Money is automatically deducted from your account so there are no interest charges.
With all these cards if you make a purchase online a "One time Password" (OTP) is sent by SMS to your mobile phone which you enter in the check out page to complete your transaction.

With all my recent travels , Korea , USA , Honduras, Australia etc, my BKK Platinum VISA Credit and Krungsri Platinum Credit Card as Zid has explained works very well.

I use it online for international purchases, and get the SMS to confirm etc , just the normal Bank FX rates apply to the transaction when it appears on the monthly statement. Pays to keep the full amount paid off each month as you get a statement each year from the Thai Credit rating agency, showing 100% compliant.

Unlike the Commonwealth Bank of Australia who charge international transactions, as 2.5% of purchase price as Int fee and another 1% for processing, which is compounding. Add the crap FX rate they offer, no wonder I use the Thai Visa Credit Cards internationally. ( 3 grabs at the cherry )

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by LoneTraveler » May 11, 2016, 8:56 am

Zidane wrote:You can get a credit card with the likes of Bangkok Bank or Kasikornbank where you can impose your own credit limit eg.20,000,50,000,100,000 baht per month(limits the amount that can be fraudently taken ?)......you link it to an account you hold with either of these banks and get an SMS each month telling you what you owe.

I would like advice on which Branch of Bangkok Bank in Udon is best for applying for a secured credit card. I went to Big C and was told to open a fixed account, fill out an application then wait 2 weeks for a credit card. Is there a more efficient branch of Bangkok Bank that will give a card sooner?

samuel
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by samuel » May 11, 2016, 9:04 am

LoneTraveler wrote:I went to Big C and was told to open a fixed account, fill out an application then wait 2 weeks for a credit card.
i doubt that this really works. but even then, if you open a fixed account and use it to debit your shopping bills you will loose the higher interest on the fixed account in case you debit before the fixed period is over.
do not mix the issues. imho farangs can not have a thai credit card.
exceptions may occure once in a while.

macca46
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by macca46 » May 11, 2016, 9:10 am

Try BB head office in the city second level.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Zidane » May 11, 2016, 11:11 am

Unfortunately if you try either Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank there is no instant fix as your application has to go to their respective Head Offices in Bangkok for approval before the Credit Card is issued.
You can choose the monthly amount and term for the card yourself.
Kasikorn Bank,my limit was 100,000 baht monthly for a term of 5 years and I got about 11,000 baht in interest in that time.
Bangkok Bank,I've got a yearly card with a 30,000 baht monthly limit but I think the interest rate is only about 1%,which is peanuts,but I find the card useful for booking hotel accommodation,domestic flights and the wifes beauty products ! :-"
One thing I would say is make sure you pay off the balance in full by the due to date or you could be charged something like 20% interest ! :yikes:
I got my Bangkok Bank card from the branch near the Napalai Hotel on Phracha Raksa Road.Theres a young lady there called Noar,who speaks perfect English and has been to college in London.....shame she is a Chelsea supporter !
Kasikorn Bank....the best one is on Phosi Road and they have a young guy supervisor there who also speaks good English.

I find the English speaking quite important when doing this sort of thing as replies like "sure" and "no problem" from limited English speakers can often mean a problem arises further down the line.

samuel
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by samuel » May 11, 2016, 3:01 pm

are you guys talking about debit cards or credit cards?
:-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Zidane » May 11, 2016, 4:33 pm

I'm talking about Credit Cards,samuel.

You can also get a Debit Card with your ordinary savings account where transactions are automatically deducted from your account without charge.The only thing with that card,for example,is that if you buy an airline ticket online from the airlines website you have to go to the bank itself to make the full payment,which is a bit of a pain.You are also given a time frame by the airline to make the payment,usually up to 24 hours.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by mathusalah80 » May 11, 2016, 5:28 pm

[quote="Zidane"]Bangkok bank, I've got a yearly card with a 30,000 baht monthly limit...... but I find the card useful for (paying for)............................ the wife's beauty products ! :-"

But obviously insufficient to cover the substantial monthly cost of yours, for which presumably therefore you are forced to pay in cash? :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by wazza » May 11, 2016, 8:06 pm

samuel wrote:
LoneTraveler wrote:I went to Big C and was told to open a fixed account, fill out an application then wait 2 weeks for a credit card.
i doubt that this really works. but even then, if you open a fixed account and use it to debit your shopping bills you will loose the higher interest on the fixed account in case you debit before the fixed period is over.
Incorrect , I have 2 Platinum Credit cards, issued with BKK Bank and Krungsri Bank

samuel
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by samuel » May 11, 2016, 9:52 pm

wazza wrote:
samuel wrote:
Incorrect , I have 2 Platinum Credit cards, issued with BKK Bank and Krungsri Bank
not incorrect, just the proof of what i said.
samuel wrote:exceptions may occure once in a while."

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Lone Star » May 12, 2016, 8:04 am

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by fatbob » May 12, 2016, 8:23 am

wazza wrote:Incorrect , I have 2 Platinum Credit cards, issued with BKK Bank and Krungsri Bank

I also have a platinum SCB visa card.

wazza
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by wazza » May 17, 2016, 4:21 pm

Expats can also obtain a CREDIT card with most banks, on production of their Work Permit and monthly salary advice.

Techland
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Techland » May 18, 2016, 4:45 pm

Reality is that 99% of the people reading a writing here do not have a work permit. So the rule 'no credit card for farangs' mostly fits.

wazza
udonmap.com

Virtual Debit Cards

Post by wazza » May 18, 2016, 11:16 pm

Techland wrote:Reality is that 99% of the people reading a writing here do not have a work permit. So the rule 'no credit card for farangs' mostly fits.
Techland

Again I would challenge your statement, Im aware of many expats here in Thailand with credit cards, no work permit, but Non Imm O visas , yellow books also helps perhaps

You just need to have an offset account ( in my case ) , to cover the Credit Card Limit,

BKK Bank , Krungsri and SCB have issued them to OPs o this thread already.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Re: Virtual Debit Cards

Post by Hoopoe » December 27, 2016, 8:38 am

Hy Guys , thougt i'd post on here , i need advice from people who are based here but travel abroad , i want to know what Debit/visa ,,,,,credit card from a Thai bank ,works best (cheapest /costs etc ) for drawing money from ATM's ,i'm going to India for 2 weeks , the money situation over there is a bit fckd up ,i have sorted out several means to obtain cash overthere ,but just trying for another angle/backup ,

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”