Big Acer shop for the lap top buffs.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 8, 2005, 11:13 am

Thanks for the useful info, guys (but ants in the hard drive? hmmm, maybe a new virus?).
The "ant" advice is for the guys who are going to live in an Udon village.In the centre of town they are probably much less of a worry.Here they get into all things electrical and opening the computer case is no trouble. :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 8, 2005, 11:20 am

I live in the centre of Udon and apart from the odd ant trails usually starting from the roof - solved with a quick spray, I dont suffer ants at all.
I did once have a 'chit-chat' (small lizard type creature) find its way into my toaster once though. Unfortunately I only realised it when my toast smelled bloody awful and there was a pile of ants coming too and fro.
When I dismantled the toaster- there was one very crisp animal - urghhh.

Dont have any other insects in the house thanks to careful use of screens and therefore haven't any of the problems that Businessman has :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 8, 2005, 11:27 am

Town or country,thats a choice Bob and the others coming will have to make.Sure is nice to live out in the rice fields but no one told all the bugs and snakes that they could not live here any more. :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 8, 2005, 11:40 am

Make no mistake - we still get our share of bugs and snakes here in the town centre but thankfully they are all on the outside of the house - usually in the garden. So far I have counted 7 snakes, including one who made his home in a concrete hole next to my house - now immortalised in cement forever !
I have taken photos of many of the more scary bugs seen in the garden - just haven't got around to posting them yet - will do soon (hopefully)

Paul

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 8, 2005, 2:25 pm

businessman wrote:Town or country,thats a choice Bob and the others coming will have to make. :)
Very true Marcus and I guess Thailand is no different to anywhere else when making this choice (just 'more so' :D ) I would be interested to know what other members think on the town/country issue and also which they live in (Jeab, a poll??). All the huge advantages of city living aside I was tending more towards the 'village life' myself even though I think it will involve considerably more 'effort' on my part.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 8, 2005, 3:34 pm

Just trying to help keep things on topic, so I started a poll for you here Bob :lol:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?p=4591

Should see some interesting results I reckon.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 8, 2005, 4:17 pm

Thanks Sean, knew that I could rely on you... :D

valentine

Post by valentine » October 8, 2005, 7:47 pm

Lizards or jinjoks I think the Thais call them. I have put up with these things for a long time after all they eat lots of flying bugs etc, so I have had ,until now, a live and let live approach, despite the constant chirping all night, but now I am on an exterminate track. What caused this change? Well last night one crapped right in my glass of whiskey, a full glass too. Thats it, now they must go, but how? Do any members know how to get rid of them?The local cats have a good feast, but the things breed faster than the cats can catch them. Your advice is welcomed.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 9, 2005, 11:12 am

From my experience they are eaten by the realy big geckos "dukair" and also Minah birds.They come to live in homes as the artificial lights attract insects.

If you chase them along a wall for long enough with a long stick they eventually leap off.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”