Traffic Fatalities

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Traffic Fatalities

Post by parrot » October 5, 2016, 2:49 pm

Finally......a certified (WHO) hub! I just scanned the list, but it appears that Thailand is #1 for traffic fatalities for teens and young adults.
Be careful out there!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... -Data.html

dingdong
udonmap.com

Re: Traffic Fatalities

Post by dingdong » October 5, 2016, 3:53 pm

Thank you for the article
More information helps us along
Ding

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 6, 2016, 7:24 am

parrot wrote:Finally......a certified (WHO) hub! I just scanned the list, but it appears that Thailand is #1 for traffic fatalities for teens and young adults.
Be careful out there!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... -Data.html

This Govt will no doubt rubbish this report stating that the rest of the world does not understand Thailand, and in fact it is worse as Thailand does not count deaths post accident , unlike most of the rest of the world.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » October 6, 2016, 7:42 am

KP if you read the aticle the facts are from the World Health Organization
But still all we can hope is that someone and or agency will act accordingly to reduce traffic deaths here in Thailand, making this a positive.
Hope this helps us all
Ding

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 6, 2016, 8:28 am

I agree 100%, unfortunately as you are no doubt aware, sound-bites constantly emanate from previous Thai Govt's including this one and we see, hear and have reported deaths due top accidents almost daily, these are the ones that get reported, not the ones in the villages or even many accidents that occur when the injured die within weeks often of the accident but , they die due to their injuries NOT as a result of the accident.
Education would be the key and enforcement, neither sit well with anyone, as far as I can gather, when you see a loving father load up his motorcycle ( probably only means of transport ) carefully puts on his helmet, at the same time the three children one a babe in arms together with his wife ( no-one else wears a helmet ) gets on a rickety motorcycle , rides off with zero lights, and then a short while later is knocked off by a passing lorries wind stream, one dies and others are badly injured, then you realise there is small chance of any movement towards safe riding/driving amongst the vast majority of the public here. As for enforcement well that is a joke aimed towards monetary advantage, although I have heard the Governor of Udon has been summoned about this matter .
Hope is the only thing we have, as actual action to improve the situation is like trying to raise the dead, almost a non-event.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 6, 2016, 9:39 am

well, here you go.. Some moves on drink driving laws, licensing, urban speed limits and having all passengers in a vehicle seat belted.. The question though is how to inculcate obeying the law into the populace and ensure constant and fair enforcement by the authorities. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... law-on-way
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 7, 2016, 7:15 am

Now it appears you will need a breath testing kit before you get into a car with any driver as well as Bus drivers and van drivers let alone Tuk tuks.
Seems like walking or driving yourself would be safer, and less stressful if it was not for all the other idiots who ignore the law

Seat belts well the next time I see a police marked car shopping with wife and kids and in the front seat I will take a photo and post it to the PM.

As has often been said the enforcers abuse the law far more than the rest of us. So fair enforcement no-way.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 7, 2016, 7:25 am

KP Many countries Im aware of have a cut off date for when a fatality is recorded . Eg 30 days.

Not sure what the UK Coroner stipulates.

Just a correction but it is Injuries eg Blood loss and hypoxia that causes the death .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2016, 11:43 am

wazza wrote:KP Many countries Im aware of have a cut off date for when a fatality is recorded . Eg 30 days.

Not sure what the UK Coroner stipulates.

Just a correction but it is Injuries eg Blood loss and hypoxia that causes the death .
The root cause of traffic fatalities in Thailand is the total lack of driver education. How they actually die is in the details.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 13, 2016, 9:36 am

My law may be a littler rusty but I seem to remember that murder or even death occurs within one year and day of the offence . The offender is charged with same.
regarding accidents, if death occurs because of the injuries received from the accident it is still death due to the accident within the time period previously mentioned. Doctors will have top prove that the death was caused by injuries sustained but that is not that difficult.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 13, 2016, 10:14 am

Quite right Tamada, a visit to a "driving school" (i use the term loosely) and a payment of 5000 baht or so pretty much guarantees you a driving license. I was waiting for the wife outside the one on the way to KK and watched the "instructor" (another term loosely used) driving along the road, no indication and then trying to parallel park, it's hideous that he's allowed to teach people and he was very poor himself. Fortunately the wife was taught to English standards before we came here so I was confident she would be okay.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 13, 2016, 11:08 am

One thing for sure check points checking for helmets lic on the driver and the acre. Are not going to stop moving violations. I used to laugh when offenders would accuse me of having quota. I would respond with, no one can write as many as we want.

At one point we had a Lt. who had been a traffic officer on motors. He wanted one moving violation written be each officer on the shift. Truth is that was so we would get that done in the first 15 min of our watch and never messed with it for the rest of the watch. But, we working a high crime area.

That is the only time I saw that. But, we did make car stops something you just don't see here. Until you have actual enforcement your not gig to see a change. I can't tell you how many times I have cars speed past Police Vehicles. They never did that to us. They at least had the courtesy to slow down till we were not around
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 20, 2017, 5:03 pm

248 folks died on the roads of Udon between 1 Jan and 20 March 2017. The map shows the rate of deaths per 100,000 population. Not much of a surprise to me that Nonghan is the leader of the pack.......seems to be lots of accidents out that way.
Attachments
17352392_762889873887912_8644814534447291558_n.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 20, 2017, 5:09 pm

3 per day on average, tragic

100s of families affected by these , and has the lesson of speeding, alcohol , driver behaviour , sank in at all, my comment is no, not in a million years.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » March 20, 2017, 5:37 pm

I just about my maker last Tuesday morning I was going to the Military Hospital at about 8.00 for blood tests there is a pedestrian crossing controlled by traffic lights virtually at the entrance to the hospital I got across the the three lanes ok as did the elderly couple behind me the very old man was on a four prong walking stick got the median strip looked to the left because about 80% do not stop at this crossing one car in the middle stopped likewise a M/B behind it and the same in the outer lane also stopped along comes somchia either still half pis/ed sound asleep or both and at the last minute realizes he has a red light clips the back of the M/B and is heading straight at me I was lucky I saw stepped back still got hit on the inner elbow I was lucky all I received was a big bruise the old couple would not have been so lucky 50 meters down the road I got a sorry gesture in hindsight I wish there had of been a car on the inside lane then somchia would have got his just deserts by ending up the clacker of the car, of course he was not wearing helmet and was probably 4 stone overweight for a Thai.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » March 20, 2017, 10:15 pm

My opinion whether you like it or not is, if the Police and "higher ups" really cared. they would get serious about saving lives. I offered an idea to a cop one day who was trying to give me a ticket for BS. I told him if you want to be a hero, start printing out cards. (like as small as a deck of cards) and make sure every student coming in or leaving school has one. The card would simply tell you what turn signals are for, why to look behind you before changing lanes, why you should stop at every corner, look before you move on. "Forget the Budda Turn!. The "Budda Turn" resulted in me slamming into a TukTuk, being left in the road to die , and later I found out I had 4 broken collar bones and a very nasty concusion. The one who hit me ran off and will never come back to this areas because I have put out warnings to them, they are comtrolled by superstition. Police did nothing. No even a report.
If this gov cared, 1st they would get all the "Children" off the road and ones with no licenses or insurances or "NO"EXPERIENCE". Then go after the ones who don't wear a safety helmit. Stop arresting the foreigners for made up fake garbage. Then move into "Road respect". I'm Stopping here. There is much more to do, but it is easy.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 21, 2017, 7:00 am

It's lack of danger awareness and anticipation that gets me. Coming back from football other night, fair amount of traffic, particularly after the game. Young guy, no helmet, swerving in and out of the cars at some speed, body language of 'I haven't got a care in the world'. It needed just one car or bike to make a minor change in direction and he would have been off.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 21, 2017, 9:21 am

Going up the Nong Khai road last week on m/c and car overtakes and turns and turns left immediately in front of me. I thought I was gone but managed to stop just in time. The same thing happened about a mile further up the road and I could see the passengers warn the driver that a bike was on his left. This happens often especially at these garages just before the level crossing. I reckon there is a fatality on that streach of road nearly every day.

It's all down to a lack of proper driving schools and on road testing!! It's not possible to say a person can have a licence with 15 hours training and with the present system it looks as if the carnage on Thailands lethal roads will get worse.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 21, 2017, 9:45 am

felixcat wrote:... later I found out I had 4 broken collar bones ....
There are only two collarbones (clavicles) in your body.

Kernow Kid
udonmap.com

Post by Kernow Kid » March 21, 2017, 9:48 am

Udon Map wrote:
felixcat wrote:... later I found out I had 4 broken collar bones ....
There are only two collarbones (clavicles) in your body.
That was funny.. 4 clavicles.. haha!

Return to “Travel & Transport”