CATTLE RAISING IN UDON

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Mosquito
udonmap.com

CATTLE RAISING IN UDON

Post by Mosquito » January 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Just checking my facts before committing to another extended family idea.

First, pricing: 2 breeding females plus 4 (2 under 6 months old and 2 over 1 year old)?? Priced at 140k baht.

Second, selling: Understand it takes 2 years for a cow to get to beef market age, so what does an avg sized 2 year old male go for in the beef market locally?

Lastly, haven't seen the cows. Expect they are the local variety, but what are the cost vs gain in purchasing a different breed.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Re: CATTLE RAISING IN UDON

Post by Mosquito » January 9, 2017, 8:37 am

forgot to ask about vet care requirements, cost.

thaimac
udonmap.com

Post by thaimac » January 9, 2017, 9:20 am

Unless you are looking at them for a very large expensive PET, forget it. There is no money in cows, especially village cows. Been there, done that and lost. Had Village cows and Brangus cows. Thai's normally only like Brahmas, they like the big ears. You really need to do your homework before you get involved or you will lose your ass.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » January 9, 2017, 11:14 am

i'm only funding it (one time), have no interest in caring for cattle and don't expect to receive any returns on the investment.

just give the dad and brotherinlaw something to do w/ potential (even slim as it maybe) for them to make a few baht.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » January 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Thaimac is right. I have worked with Dairy cattle Holsteins and Beef cattle Herford's back in the U.S. Raising Beef cattle in Thailand especially in Issan is a entirely different way of thinking and an different operating environment. My sister in-law and her husband is currently raising 7 beef cattle. I suggest that you spend some time with somebody who is already doing it and get yourself some insight into how much work it takes and what is really involved and the environment that these cattle will be raised in. Be honest with yourself. Are the Dad and Brother-in-law willing to put in the commitment ?
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 9, 2017, 3:25 pm

I have been presented with many money making ideas from my in-laws, and wife. After failing a couple times I have come to realize that poor people (and uneducated) usually come up with bad ideas.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » January 9, 2017, 5:10 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:I have been presented with many money making ideas from my in-laws, and wife. After failing a couple times I have come to realize that poor people (and uneducated) usually come up with bad ideas.
Wise words
Sometimes its nice to keep the outlaws happy but only invest an amount you can afford to lose
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » January 9, 2017, 5:24 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:I have been presented with many money making ideas from my in-laws, and wife. After failing a couple times I have come to realize that poor people (and uneducated) usually come up with bad ideas.

Amen, to the above.

However, think I'm semi-committed to this.

Just so I don't really get ripped off (can't really afford it, but seems worth a shot), 140k baht for 6 cows (as stated above). Would that be a decent, non-farang price here in Udon?

And would reallly like to know what a 2 year old goes for in the meat market now.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » January 9, 2017, 7:56 pm

cheaper to give each one 10,000 and tell them to buy lao khao and lottery tickets, if they win the lottery, they can buy their own cows.

then spend the 120,000 slowly at the massage parlor and karaokes, you'll get better value that way

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 10, 2017, 5:25 am

Mossie, my drunk sister in law has one cow and a calf, she has been offered 40,000 to 60,000bt for either..
so your price sounds about right..depending on quality of animal..

grazing is the big problem..you need heaps of grazing land available all year round, because grass is poor...its a daily walk with herd for miles some times if not have enough own land..they come past my house in the early morning and head home in early evening, day after day..boring job for someone...I will get a couple of cows to tinker with because I think there is more money in it than rice for my family..maybe just on sell calves, short turn around...

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » January 10, 2017, 6:20 am

thx, that helps.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 11, 2017, 5:35 am

no worries Matey...your welcome to my words..

my drunk sister in law started with one cow , bought with money the govt loaned out to villagers for such use some time back...she gets a bull in to do its thing, and create a calf..I think it cost 500bt a blow..once the calf is off the teet its saleable for whatever someone wants to pay for it..if you can get a couple of cows and get the bull in, and start increasing the size of your herd year by year, theres money if you do that, but also there is 40,000bt every year for just one calf...we dont make 40,000bt in rice per year....so if I can secure some more grass, I am in.

as I said before , grass is the problem..dont want to be buying and feeding out hay or such...most guys will use the leftover rice stalks as hay, but generally you need access to plenty of grazing and water, and a person who will take cows to such lands, watch them all day and bring them home at night....

remember there are not many fenced paddocks around, most guys keep their herds locked under the house or in the fenced front yard over night, then head to the fields during the day...

you may need a hoe and trailer as well...

vets I no nothing about..but my drunk sisters cow lives on a rope staked into the ground, poor thing, it gets real slim at certain times of year, but never a vet to be seen...somethings she trucks it off to some other dudes land, and he gets the next calf as payment..

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 11, 2017, 7:21 am

And of course taking the cows out to pasture everyday is done for free, and never taken into account by (village) Thais. A less than break even event if looked at that way. If Labour is free you can make money.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

CATTLE RAISING IN UDON

Post by Mosquito » January 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Done Deal.

Will basically take the chance and kiss the baht good bye, accepting that i'll most likely get sucked into paying for feed/vet visits/breeding fees along the way.

Did make the dad agree to build a shed for the cows before the rainy season starts.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 11, 2017, 9:08 am

And your in-laws will learn nothing about how to take care of themselves. But that's the easy come easy go Thai mentality.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » January 11, 2017, 9:52 am

Why don't you start with 1 or 2 cows.
You already admit that you don't expect a return.

Get two and see what the family can do with them.

If they show promise, invest more later.
If not, loosing two is better than six.
Mick

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » January 11, 2017, 4:32 pm

Already a done deal. Probly could of dropped to 2-3 cows, but dad wanted 6.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » January 12, 2017, 6:41 am

newtovillagelife wrote:And your in-laws will learn nothing about how to take care of themselves. But that's the easy come easy go Thai mentality.
This is so true. We have dealt with it many times. Now that we have been here going on five years my wife has come to this conclusion also. Both of us get frustrated when we see the "Easy come - Easy Go " attitude. They refuse to take responsibility for decisions and actions. It is more convenient to say My-Bin-Lie or to play the victim role.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Return to “Open Forum”