Thai bank account for a foreigner in Udon Thani

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
tamada
udonmap.com

Thai bank account for a foreigner in Udon Thani

Post by tamada » February 13, 2017, 11:57 am

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for years but in another part of the Realm. I am considering opening a new account in Meuang Udon Thani, preferably with a different bank. I am on a retirement extension, have the yellow book and pink ID card. Can anyone recommend a local bank and specific branch where that is sufficient with no pressure for unnecessary insurance purchase? Also needs to provide a versatile* ATM card and a good, dependable online banking facility that is also easy to get approved for.

*If the ATM card works online and/or overseas, that will be a bonus but not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks!
tam

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Thai bank account for a foreigner in Udon Thani

Post by wazza » February 13, 2017, 1:46 pm

Tam

BKK bank at 154 Prajak Road does all that. ATM card works OS.

English spoken.... plus internet banking etc.

I.dont know any bank that i have dealt with recently that doesnt try the Insurance sale. Or Term Deposit etc. Kasikorn and Krungsri etc

I simply refer them to Australian Banks where I can get 2.8% and not 0.28%

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » February 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

I opened another bank account with Bangkok Bank head office in Prajak Rd last week and they needed a letter from immigration,yellow book ,pink id card,pasport not enough she said. So 500bht later opened said account. For info

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » February 13, 2017, 4:08 pm

I opened my account there three years ago all they required was my passport I did have a reasonable amount of cash to deposit which they were not aware of the time, as wazza mentioned they did try the term deposit plus the insurance declined both no hassles I am happy with there service.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 13, 2017, 4:28 pm

Ditto BKK.. but I took a hiso Thai friend with me.. (5 years ago).. who guaranteed I was ok.. passport.. that was it.. Never been offered anything or asked for anything.. online banking, app, visa debit card overseas.. have 3 accounts..daily withdrawal levels fine etc.. no issues ever with BKK.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » February 13, 2017, 9:04 pm

As I said LAST WEEK not years ago.. :roll:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 13, 2017, 9:48 pm

All good words about Bangkok Bank... mostly, thanks for the comments. I already bank with them and never had any issues. But I am looking for an equally good alternative bank rather than have all the eggs in one basket as it were.

GARYZX6R... even though you had an existing account with Bangkok Bank and the yellow book and ID card, they still wanted a letter from Immigration?

That last requirement would be a deal breaker for me as I don't plan on financing that bunch of oxygen wasters or going anywhere near their office.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 14, 2017, 3:25 am

I think if any bank insisted on this letter and refused to accept the ID card and yellow biok. I would ask for the manager.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » February 14, 2017, 8:48 am

Yes Tam I had everything with me, must have letter from Immigration she said,which wasnt a residency letter which you need for D/L, buying motorbike etc. Also need a photo for said letter... Maybe other banks are different or maybe it was because i was opening a euro account ?
Hope this helps

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 14, 2017, 1:44 pm

tamada wrote:All good words about Bangkok Bank... mostly, thanks for the comments. I already bank with them and never had any issues. But I am looking for an equally good alternative bank rather than have all the eggs in one basket as it were.

GARYZX6R... even though you had an existing account with Bangkok Bank and the yellow book and ID card, they still wanted a letter from Immigration?

That last requirement would be a deal breaker for me as I don't plan on financing that bunch of oxygen wasters or going anywhere near their office.
Never had any problems with Kasikorn bank , 15 years now, all good. Originally opened with only passport on a 30 day entry.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”