Quality chainsaw

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
domfromoz
udonmap.com

Quality chainsaw

Post by domfromoz » March 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Advice required on where to buy a quality chainsaw.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Quality chainsaw

Post by parrot » March 19, 2017, 5:26 pm

I've been accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.......but:
I've had two chainsaws. The first, a Tuf brand from Global for 3000 Baht. That lasted 4 years. The second, I bought last May from Homehub for just under 3000 Baht. We have 2.5 rai with an abundance of mature trees.....so the chainsaw gets a workout.
You can buy a Hitachi for about 8000 baht......but comparing the cheap and the Hitachi, I honestly don't see much difference.
Attachments
20170319_165335.jpg

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Stihl is the only chainsaw to buy, last a lifetime. Available in Thailand.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 19, 2017, 7:01 pm

I understand you are also limited in the size of the Blade Homepro / Global units are smallish , any large units, u need to show your ID etc and I believe a licence to hold it, ( about reducing forestry poaching etc )

Dont forget to buy a sharpening device !!

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Post by domfromoz » March 19, 2017, 10:14 pm

The heart says STIHL as I used them for years back home on the Apple Isle, but I now believe A 12inch bar is the biggest they allow here,
Plus its a one off job as the tornado bought down a very large tree on friday night,(by large I mean 5 feet through the butt)

I agree with fatbobs sentiments ,but at 78 A Stihl will well and truly outlast me.
Will see BiB tomorrow re a permit and work from there.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 20, 2017, 2:45 am

parrot wrote:I've been accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.......but:
I've had two chainsaws. The first, a Tuf brand from Global for 3000 Baht. That lasted 4 years. The second, I bought last May from Homehub for just under 3000 Baht. We have 2.5 rai with an abundance of mature trees.....so the chainsaw gets a workout.
You can buy a Hitachi for about 8000 baht......but comparing the cheap and the Hitachi, I honestly don't see much difference.
Between me and the brother inlaw ,we've had these the hitachi the blade lub goe's knackered , the Tuf i've still got albeit a new piston etc , still running & blade oil works fine ,

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Post by domfromoz » March 20, 2017, 1:14 pm

Well,that was interesting,BiB told us permit only required for bar length 12 inches and over
Shop says all ok as bars are now 11.5 inches and do not fall under regulations,the saw we looked at is 0.8 hp but he would remove the air restrictor on carb which allows 2.0 hp and then fit a 20 inch bar and chain for an extra 1800 baht.

KellyIsaan

Post by KellyIsaan » April 5, 2017, 10:37 am

I have found shops that will sell longer Stihl chain saw blades, chain bar oil, and more powerful chain saws when I did a good images search with Isaan in the search request. Husqvarna, Makita, Stihl all sell quality chain saws in Thailand and a motivated local shop will order what you need or might have it stocked in a locked room.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » April 5, 2017, 7:34 pm

A couple of tips from my chain sawing experience. Get a few files and keep them stored in drinking straws to keep them from rolling together and getting dull. The second your saw stops making good progress on your cut STOP and touch up the blade with a hand file (YouTube it). If not you will heat the blade up it will loose its temper and will turn into trash. The second tip and the hardest one for me to actually do is when you finish a long cut let your saw idle for a minute before shutting off. The reason for letting it idle is that it need to absorb some heat from critical areas and cool off, this will extend the life of your saw dramatically. Stihl saws are the best but I have a Husky and its perfectly ok for me. I took the anti kick back safety devise out as it was a pain in the butt designed by lawyers and stupid. Use both hands at all times and stay mentally engaged. lol

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 5, 2017, 8:04 pm

Drifting sideways a bit
are the electric chainsaws ok for small jobs around the yard?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 5, 2017, 8:41 pm

Barney wrote:Drifting sideways a bit
That's a bit like comparing apples and stones.
Just buy a stihl and be done with it, or huskys are equally as good, or we can turn the thread into 100 pages of .....

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 5, 2017, 8:57 pm

fatbob wrote:
Barney wrote:Drifting sideways a bit
That's a bit like comparing apples and stones.
Just buy a stihl and be done with it, or huskys are equally as good, or we can turn the thread into 100 pages of .....

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 6, 2017, 10:44 am

I'm not sure about Stihl chain saws. Back in the USA they are a premium brand but those marketed in Thailand do not seem to be the same. We had a crew here who cut Eucalyptus trees for a living. They were in this area for several years. None of them would buy another Stihl. Apparently they simply do not hold up. Poulan seems to be the first choice with the Husqvarna a close second. Since these guys make a living cutting trees, I think they would know.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 6, 2017, 11:35 am

In Australia the first choice for forestry workers is Stihl followed by Husky, I think they would know more....

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 6, 2017, 11:49 am

I would add my comment that the Brand name models are also made in different countries with different levels of QC perhaps.?

Just like Black and Decker have different levels of quality on their power tools.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

I understand that Stihl manufacture in Germany, the USA & China.
The first digit of the serial number indicates where that particular piece was made. A 0 for Germany & a 1 for the USA. I don't know what range they use for China, but would guess if it starts with anything other than a 0 or 1 then it is a pretty fair guess that it is China.. :D

They also make 2 different grades of products - Professional & Householder..
I read that you need to disregard the last 0 in the model number & then if the remaining number is even it is a 'Professional', if it is odd then it is a 'Householder' product..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 6, 2017, 5:06 pm

Chainsaws require constant maintenance, they run hot so they eat plugs, need regular oil changes, bar oil must be kept full at all times and oil ports clean and open for the bar to remain lubed, and then kept sharp, all of the above is something Thai's are not so good at, if you do the above your saw will be ok.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 8, 2017, 6:59 am

I know chainsaws. got one in the face years ago, as did the brother in law, and the other in law fell on his, found him lying in the forest...

electric not for me..

if you are going to use one alot, and on medium size trees, buy the best Sthil, or Husvana ( sorry for spelling) and at least a 16" blade..and good quality chains..and files to sharpen the chain...3 or 4 file strokes before every work project will make them last longer..

They are expensive to run oil wise.

I have gone back to a Bow saw here in Siam ( Barney will love this ) no oil, no motor, just good honest muscle.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » April 8, 2017, 7:04 am

From what I understand to purchase a 16" bar requires a permit here in Thailand and only a 12" can be purchased from the shops

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 8, 2017, 1:13 pm

maaka wrote:I know chainsaws. got one in the face years ago, as did the brother in law, and the other in law fell on his, found him lying in the forest...

electric not for me..

if you are going to use one alot, and on medium size trees, buy the best Sthil, or Husvana ( sorry for spelling) and at least a 16" blade..and good quality chains..and files to sharpen the chain...3 or 4 file strokes before every work project will make them last longer..

They are expensive to run oil wise.

I have gone back to a Bow saw here in Siam ( Barney will love this ) no oil, no motor, just good honest muscle.
Yes maaka,
The bow saw is a popular style around my house for tree trimming, but ill just silently sneak this one in :-$ :-$ :-$ , even though Fatbob told me to not turn this into a 100 ........... :lol: :lol:
I must again bring the electric chainsaw into the picture, as there was no mention from the original poster of which type, gas or electric quality product he wanted?
I have been looking not at electric but at the battery types, in my construction industry the use of battery power tools is now widespread. Have procured some fine 36V battery concrete drills, cable crimpers etc and the battery are long lasting. The battery chainsaw for house and yard use have to be the way to go in the future or at least listed on the white boards to look at.
Couple of reasons
1. The wife can commence sawing at any time in the morning with no fear of waking me up to early, a petrol saw is far to noisy.
2. Easier for her to maintain, she not to cluey on petrol things.
3. No fuel mixing for her, its a pain when I have to go out in the car to the petrol bowser down the road and get them to fill the plastic canister.

I hope a place to find a quality chainsaw is eventually found. :-"

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”