Stick 'em Up

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Stick 'em Up

Post by parrot » April 7, 2017, 1:15 pm

By my estimation 10 students in this cropped photo would be suspended in most any school in the US. The photo was taken at a local school today during a Songkran day party. The kids wouldn't have been suspended for wearing leggings or shorts or colorful shirts......but carrying a gun.......it doesn't matter toy gun or not.....would most likely lead to a suspension for a few days.
It's scenes in Thailand like this......that help me see things from a different perspective. I realize the rate of gun ownership in Thailand is a fraction of what it is in the US, but in the 20 years I've been here, I'm trying to think of a shooting in a public school.......??maybe on Bangkok's technical schools??
Attachments
S__36012037.jpg

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: Stick 'em Up

Post by pal52 » April 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Parrot
I can not understand the purpose of the post.
They have approved water pistols not the illegal PVC pipe water cannons.
It looks to me like a normal Songkran party supervised by teachers.
As far as I am aware they do not celebrate Songkran in the US.
At least the kids seem to be really enjoying themselves.
I hope they all had a nice meal after the water fight & had a nice day.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm only trying to point out the differences in culture....US/Thai. In Thailand, it's acceptable to have play guns on school property. In the US, you'd be suspended for bringing even a toy gun to school...even a finger gun.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/0 ... 13864.html

On Children's Day this year, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post in Udon visited a poor local school and presented an assortment of school supplies. The Provincial Electric Authority also presented gifts. The boys especially liked the toy guns!
Attachments
20170113_094611.jpg

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

OK thanks Parrot.
I do know the Vets do an incredibly wonderful job in Udon to help children.
I really dont believe the US is that bad in every state.
If a Thai community wanted to celebrate Songkran with water pistols at school I am sure it would be allowed.
After all the USA is supposed to be the land of the free & they must celebrate all kinds of culture party's.
No offence was intended.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 7, 2017, 4:26 pm

The world has gone stupid.
I had cap guns, spud guns, lacker band guns when I was a kid.
I haven't blown anyone up yet. :roll:
Mick

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 7, 2017, 6:53 pm

The US is weird isn't it Parrot, kids cannot play with toy guns but adults can play with full automatic weapons and blow those same school kids away on a regular basis. I'm glad there all illegal in Aus and since John Howard, the prime minister at the time banned all automatic weapons there has not been a massacre since, I think since 1996...

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » April 8, 2017, 11:11 am

Funny that,if you ask a Thai boy what toy he would like to have it would 99% be a gun or a sword or dagger.if you gave them a box of Lego or mechano or another constructive toy.the dumb ones would try to eat it and the smart ones would build guns and daggers out of them.i think we should realise that we are far,far away in a different dimension here and just have to learn to go with the flow....now beam me up scottie.

Return to “Society and culture”