One Price Beef

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

One Price Beef

Post by parrot » April 9, 2017, 7:07 pm

One of the oddities of living in Thailand.......beef is 250 baht a kilo, pork is 140 (Nongwasaw market prices). You buy guts, you buy tenderloin, you buy the hoof, it's all the same price. Today my wife caught the beef lady 1.5 kilo of tenderloin. She cooked up a piece for supper.......just salt and pepper before putting on a hot skillet for 2min each side. I'm not a beef expert, but it was pretty dern tender.
I know saying that, the next piece could be tough as leather.....that's the lottery of buying beef in the market.

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: One Price Beef

Post by wazza » April 9, 2017, 8:53 pm

marinade with pineapple takes the chewy bits out a little ?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 10, 2017, 12:12 am

Tough as " Old Boots " at Makro Nong Khai.....Also NO Taste whatsoever !!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 10, 2017, 7:55 am

Why play a hit or miss game? Thai-French beef is consistently tasty and tender because it's aged beef and also very affordable. The only other option to the best of my knowledge is buying quality aged steak from AU, NZ or the USA (all quite expensive).

There are 2 Thai-French Beef outlets (not including Villa Market or Tops) here in UT located as follows:

1. Tahan Rd between the Fountain and Prince Prajak Circles (UM S-17)

2. Wattana Nuwong Rd. between Adunyadet Rd and the back entrance to Central Plaza (UM V-14)

Both outlets have a good selection of Thai-French beef although I prefer #1.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Argentinian Beef at Tops but havent seen it move at all.

Quite expensive at over 2000/kg

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 10, 2017, 9:24 am

We'll see what Mr.Drunk Monkey and his friends will stock up on when ready..But it seems like BEEF eaters will be happy..price..maybe not so happy..but hey,you want something really nice now and then..you pay for it..whatever the price might be..well maybe that was a littlebit of a bold statement of me...but you know what i mean ;-)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 10, 2017, 10:42 am

my wife also buy's long time all ready beef at the market and knows what to look for , but some times we also buy at thai-french shop ...as recent ...
DSC00619_zpscskaptej.jpg
i am not in need to buy expensive tenderloin , but am happy with sirloin at 500 baht/kilo ....
the australian beef ? , i am only blown away by the price of the australian beef not really by the quality ...
from the moment on i have to pay more as in my home country, than there is something wrong as thailand must be cheaper , i am also not here to support the government with their extravagant import taxes...
so i will stick with TF and many times good tasty local market beef .... ;)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 10, 2017, 10:59 am

The price of Australian Beef has increased over the last year or so and the local prices here reflect that.

Just has lamb has gone through the roof as well.

EG if you spent 2500 on an imported cut from Tops and had them slice it for you. Averages out at 400 approx per cut. Villa does cryovac meats once sliced for free.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 10, 2017, 11:06 am

wazza wrote:Argentinian Beef at Tops but havent seen it move at all.

Quite expensive at over 2000/kg
.....Probably because it's DEAD, Wazza....555 !!

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » April 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Ive found the best way to cook thai beef is pop it a oven along with an old boot,cook it really slow 6/7 hour on a moderate heat,when its done throw it in the bin and eat the boot,i stopped buying thai/french beef,went a bit hit and miss,might give it another try,or just stick with the pork

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 10, 2017, 12:28 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:Ive found the best way to cook thai beef is pop it a oven along with an old boot,cook it really slow 6/7 hour on a moderate heat,when its done throw it in the bin and eat the boot,i stopped buying thai/french beef,went a bit hit and miss,might give it another try,or just stick with the pork
What size boot do you use 55555

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » April 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

I found size 10 works best with a 10 0z steak,for some reason :D

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » April 10, 2017, 1:08 pm

It is much cheaper to satisfy your eating needs of roast lamb or beef at one of the better local restaurants that serve Sunday Roasts.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » April 10, 2017, 2:17 pm

Beef from market,diced up plenty oxo red plonk for flavour then 17 hrs in the slow cooker.i can eat it with me teeth still in soak in the bathroom.seriously ive never had a decent steak out here.last time was in wine house 990b couldn't get the steak knife to work on it.said to the waitress wrap that up love I'll see if the neighbours dog can sort it out.i used to bring Sainsbury's taste the difference 28 day steaks back but that's done now..so apart from chicken everything goes through the slow cooker and or braised.i read the other week tin foil your steak,oven cook for 15-20 mins,get your steak pan very hot and sear the the thing until your happy with the look of it.ive gor a george Forman here and it's absolutely useless apart from burgers or chicken.cant knock Thai pork thin sliced and quick cooked but must be fresh.
Attachments
IMG_1569.JPG

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » April 10, 2017, 3:25 pm

fdimike wrote:Why play a hit or miss game? Thai-French beef is consistently tasty and tender because it's aged beef and also very affordable. The only other option to the best of my knowledge is buying quality aged steak from AU, NZ or the USA (all quite expensive).

There are 2 Thai-French Beef outlets (not including Villa Market or Tops) here in UT located as follows:

1. Tahan Rd between the Fountain and Prince Prajak Circles (UM S-17)

2. Wattana Nuwong Rd. between Adunyadet Rd and the back entrance to Central Plaza (UM V-14)

Both outlets have a good selection of Thai-French beef although I prefer #1.

A good few years back there was a restaurant called ''Rouch Kate'' (spelling), The guy’s name was Dieter and he used Thai French and I must say it was excellent.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » April 10, 2017, 4:46 pm

me nan used to swear by her ''GEORGE FORMBY'' Grill ;)

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » April 10, 2017, 5:33 pm

parrot wrote:
beef is 250 baht a kilo, pork is 140 (Nongwasaw market prices). You buy guts, you buy tenderloin, you buy the hoof, it's all the same price.
Can anyone explain this? Prices do vary a bit in the supermarkets and at our local fresh market there is also a small price difference for some cuts, but as you said, many places sell everything at the same price. This has always been a mystery to me. Perhaps it just the difference between Western and Eastern perception of what constitutes a preferred cut. I'm rather partial to loin and shoulder and the prices are right.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 10, 2017, 5:42 pm

It is much cheaper to satisfy your eating needs of roast lamb or beef at one of the better local restaurants that serve Sunday Roasts....
555...good one... some over or under cooked cold beef/lamb? , the problem in most restaurants if we can call them so is baking anything like it is supposed to be , most resto owners here do not have a clue or even have a cooking degree...
but the trend is rent a place throw in some cheap furniture/decoration and start sell some (frozen) food....
i think udon is short of really good eating places , one of the reasons we always eat (better) at home , also many times we are disappointed about the quality compared to the too high prices including the drinks ,udon is starting to be extravagant expensive ...more expensive than other more known tourist areas....an other reason to eat at home .... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 10, 2017, 6:38 pm

Shado wrote:parrot wrote:
beef is 250 baht a kilo, pork is 140 (Nongwasaw market prices). You buy guts, you buy tenderloin, you buy the hoof, it's all the same price.
Can anyone explain this? Prices do vary a bit in the supermarkets and at our local fresh market there is also a small price difference for some cuts, but as you said, many places sell everything at the same price. This has always been a mystery to me. Perhaps it just the difference between Western and Eastern perception of what constitutes a preferred cut. I'm rather partial to loin and shoulder and the prices are right.
My wife goes to the market and buys a kilo of good pork loin. Then a kilo of ground pork for the dogs. Same price for each kilo. t.i.t.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 10, 2017, 7:26 pm

indeed parrot , small extra advice , if you buy on a local market , go as early possible, to have the most fresh items...
without sunburn :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”